Devoe Joseph to start vs. MSU, Al definitely out

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per these tweets from Myron and Marcus:

Marcus: "Devoe is starting at PG."

Marcus: "Tubby said Nolen is ineligible and doesn't know when he'll be back."

Myron: "Al Nolen out officially, according to Tubby Smith."

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone else think this may be really help Devoe get back on track?

Last year, he played mostly as the backup point guard and had some huge games for us. (see Penn St.) This year he has really only been used as a shooting guard and has struggled. Except for the Indiana game, which was the first game I saw this year where he got some run as the PG.

Is Devoe the type of player that needs the ball in his hands to get a feel for the game?

Devoe

A great opportunity for Devoe. I hope he plays well.

Interesting guard trio in Blake, Lawrence, and Devoe.

devoe is too slow-footed to play the point.. can't beat anyone off the dribble... this will be a pass-the-ball-around-the-horn offense.

Slap in the face for Cobbs, IMHO.

Shows a lack of confidence if he thinks Devoe is better running the PG, when he is the only true PG eligible to take the floor. Justin will still get his minutes and opportunity though.

I wonder if his shooting ability will open up the floor for everyone else. Similar to what happened when Blake was put in the starting lineup. Although Al has shot the ball better this year, Devoe has the ability to extend defenses that Al doesnt.

Yea... Total slap in the face to start the Sophomore, former part time starter over the freshman. Especially against a Top 10 team with an All American point guard. :confused:

Dont worry, I think Cobbs will get plenty of clock.

He's a true freshman who's been coming off the bench all year. I'm sure Tubby feels he'll be more comfortable doing what he is used to. He will get plenty of minutes either way.

He's a true freshman who's been coming off the bench all year. I'm sure Tubby feels he'll be more comfortable doing what he is used to. He will get plenty of minutes either way.

Me thinks Tubby does not want to start out slow with scoring. Joseph gives us better shooting and ability to get to the hoop. Cobb will get plenty of time like station wrote. The real concern is whether or not we will be able to press!

Lets hope he plays well. If he can add some scoring punch it will really be valuable, IMO. Getting 10-15 pts from the "1" would be a nice change to the offense.

I think they are going to pound it inside relentlessly to Ralph and Colton on Saturday. Devoe is a better shooter when the ball gets kicked back out when they collapse inside. I'm sure Tubby has given the talk to both he and Cobbs that this is their chance to take over the team and contribute to getting us back on track. Still cautiously optimistic at coming out with a win, but we will miss Al's defense against their guards.

Let me know when Tubby announces who will finish the game.

Me thinks Tubby does not want to start out slow with scoring. Joseph gives us better shooting and ability to get to the hoop. Cobb will get plenty of time like station wrote. The real concern is whether or not we will be able to press!

IMO the 'real concern' is Devoe not turning the ball over...

This makes sense, though I wouldn't have minded seeing both Joseph & Cobbs start. We're now down to 2 guys who we can consider PGs, so it makes sense to have one start & one come off the bench. We really can't afford to have both of those guys get into foul trouble at the same time.

IMO the 'real concern' is Devoe not turning the ball over...

Yup he definitely earns his nickname of "-2" when he is dribbling at the top of the key against good defenders.

I'm concerned since we went all in on defense makes offense and the expense of our offense, that our ability to score will be even more anemic then it has been.

This makes sense, though I wouldn't have minded seeing both Joseph & Cobbs start. We're now down to 2 guys who we can consider PGs, so it makes sense to have one start & one come off the bench. We really can't afford to have both of those guys get into foul trouble at the same time.

That had crossed my mind, there will be some times when Cobbs and Devoe are on the bench at the same time the rest of the season, but probably not many. I would say Cobbs has the edge on D and can penetrate and distribute better.

It will be interesting to see Blake, Westy and Devoe together, I hope they can put up some points early as others have alluded.

With his heroics at Indiana, the time couldn't be better for Devoe to take this spot.

If we had another servicable backup at PG (maybe Allen in the future? but I wouldn't count on it) I would like to see Cobbs and Devoe playing together. Either one could bring it up and the pressure wouldn't be on one guy. Since there is no other PG option though, no one off the bench could give them a breather and we could get into serious foul trouble.

devoe is too slow-footed to play the point.. can't beat anyone off the dribble... this will be a pass-the-ball-around-the-horn offense.
Devoe is probably as fast as Sam Cassells, who has had a decent NBA career. When Devoe is playing a his best he reminds me of Sam.

This makes sense to me. You have to start your best players, and at this point I would rather have Devoe on the court than Cobbs. Even though Devoe is playing a bit out of position, he was serviceable at PG last year.

"Devoe is probably as fast as Sam Cassells, who has had a decent NBA career. When Devoe is playing a his best he reminds me of Sam."

Um, no. Devoe is slow. I'm afraid Lucas goes to town here. Let's not pretend that IU was somehow comparable to MSU. The athletic difference between the two is considerable. Unless Tubby goes with a zone, I fear the outcome of Blake and Devoe on the court at the same time.

Reminds me

I have a feeling we are going to miss Nolen's defense.

Reminds me of a song on the Byrds, "Sweetheart of the Rodeo".

"You won't miss your water 'til the well runs dry."

Now we get to see what our game looks like without Al's D. :eek:

Devoe is probably as fast as Sam Cassells, who has had a decent NBA career. When Devoe is playing a his best he reminds me of Sam.

Cassell was very quick compared to college players. Devoe is not in that league. Not a chance. Maybe relative to NBA players but at the college level there is no comparison, IMO...

Cassell had vet moxie.. up and under moves, headfakes, etc... from that, he shot a ton of FTs.. plus he would back-down guys on clearouts and do that step-away jumper... Devoe has neither the moxie nor clearouts..

plus, it's a stretch to call Sam a PG.

Cassell had vet moxie.. up and under moves, headfakes, etc... from that, he shot a ton of FTs.. plus he would back-down guys on clearouts and do that step-away jumper... Devoe has neither the moxie nor clearouts..

plus, it's a stretch to call Sam a PG.

You are talking Sam the NBA player... You never saw him play at Florida State.

"Devoe is probably as fast as Sam Cassells, who has had a decent NBA career. When Devoe is playing a his best he reminds me of Sam."

Um, no. Devoe is slow. I'm afraid Lucas goes to town here. Let's not pretend that IU was somehow comparable to MSU. The athletic difference between the two is considerable. Unless Tubby goes with a zone, I fear the outcome of Blake and Devoe on the court at the same time.

agree 100%.
plus, i know Al struggled as a finisher... but at least he kept the D's honest by beating almost everyone off the dribble and getting into the lane ( #1 sin for a D... allow lane penetration ).. this is gone with Devoe on the floor..

again, this will be a pass-around-the-perimeter offense... unwatchable.

I'm pretty sure MSU's offense will be to just have Lucas drive and either lay it in or dish it, especially when Devoe's in there.

Top Bottom