Detroit News: Harbaugh setback vs. Minnesota in 1986 preceded OSU guarantee

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit News:

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh certainly understands what it means to lose the Little Brown Jug, the trophy awarded the winner of the Michigan-Minnesota game.

The 15th-ranked Wolverines (5-2, 2-1 Big Ten) were off last weekend and preparing to play at Minnesota (4-3, 1-2) at TCF Bank Stadium Saturday night. The teams won't meet again until 2017 in Ann Arbor.

The Wolverines were ranked No. 2 in 1986, Harbaugh was a co-captain and quarterback, and they had not lost in 15 straight games.

Minnesota was a huge underdog, but with two minutes left at Michigan Stadium and the teams tied, 17-17, Gophers quarterback Rickey Foggie scrambled to put Chip Lohmiller in position to kick the winning 30-yard field goal. Foggie had thrown and run for a score in the game and Lohmiller also had made a 25-yard field goal. It was the first time since 1977 the Gophers won the Little Brown Jug.

Michigan won the Jug in 1987 and didn't lose it again until 2005.

"There were other low points in my college career, but that was one of them," Harbaugh said Tuesday on the Big Ten conference call. "Our team was able to bounce back the next week. Very proud of that.

"That was so long ago. How long ago was that? Darn near 30 years, 29 years ago. Rickey Foggie played a heck of a game, Chip Lohmiller was the kicker ... I've got memories of it."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...vs-minnesota-preceded-osu-guarantee/74686674/

Go Gophers!!

That may be my all-time favorite Gopher game that I've attended. I still say "Chip could do it" when a kicker misses a long field goal (much to my kids' annoyance).

I still remember ABC showing the STUPID Ohio St v Wisconsin game which has a huge blowout and we couldn't watch the upset.

For you younger folks there was a time most Big Ten games for us were NOT on tv. We hoped for the 11 AM games back then because 'CCO would often show them (until we got Midwest sports channel).

Top Bottom