Details on the practice facility...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Let me just preface this by saying that this information is from unnamed sources...if you don't believe those, then don't believe this info. However, I'm not compromising their identity, as they could obviously get in trouble for leaking this bit of info. What I can say are they are reliable sources...and this is so early in the process, anything can change. Take it for what you like.

This is what I heard:

They aren't sold on the idea of an off-site facility in that empty lot space and are exploring expansion either on the 4th street side, or in that open land across from the stadium plaza that's bordered by University, 4th, and Oak.

Here are actual quotes from the person who saw the pictures and blueprints that were laid out - this is as much as he/she could take away in a very short time:

"Well...the expansion to Williams will either occur by across from the stadium plaza or along the 4th street side. The practice facility will be added by Bierman baseball/softball fields where the other huge lot is. The plans also included the possibility of new fields for baseball and softball."

"Looks like two options: either expand Williams or build whole new facility. Also, the expansion will make Williams look dumb. I hope they don't do it."

Clarified:

"and by whole new facility...I mean practice facility".

That's all I've got - and all he/she remembered - they did not recall anything about the looks, features, etc. However, I wanted to share this, because it does seem a little more concrete - and as someone that wants to have our bball program grow and keep Tubby, it makes me very excited that there have been quite a few steps made!

Tough decision, no wonder it's taking so much time to finalize the plan.

Maturi said the university and Smith continue to discuss a contract extension.

"I know they're talking," Maturi said.

Smith still wants a basketball practice facility.

"We're working on developing some strategies for fundraising. We've got a footprint, we've got an idea where we're going to go and what we're going to do," Maturi said of a new facility.

"That's the good news. It's a matter of raising money, just like the baseball diamond. We're going to need some significant dollars from people who have the ability to give significant money. We need to get some major gifts to start this thing."

Projected cost of a basketball practice facility is $20 million. For a new Gophers baseball stadium, projected cost is $15 million.

http://www.twincities.com/walters

Thanks for the report GL. This sounds like we've got some concrete plans going on. That's good.

All this program needs now to get fully back onto the Twin Cities' sports radar is a legitimate run toward a Big Ten title or a run to the Sweet 16 or better. The timing is right. The Vikings own this state in the fall, the Twins & Joe Mauer own it in the spring & summer (and hopefully this season a larger chunk of fall), but the winter months are there for the taking with the Wild and T-Wolves both sucking (non-playoff teams). This state needs a big winner to warm up the winter months.

No offense to Gopher baseball...but I'd rather spend that money on a basketball practice facility. Gopher baseball...you can have the Metrodome.

Exciting news...hopefully something gets done soon.

Thanks for the report GL. This sounds like we've got some concrete plans going on. That's good.

All this program needs now to get fully back onto the Twin Cities' sports radar is a legitimate run toward a Big Ten title or a run to the Sweet 16 or better. The timing is right. The Vikings own this state in the fall, the Twins & Joe Mauer own it in the spring & summer (and hopefully this season a larger chunk of fall), but the winter months are there for the taking with the Wild and T-Wolves both sucking (non-playoff teams). This state needs a big winner to warm up the winter months.

Completely agree. There's a large market share for the taking in the winter. Unlike football, all it takes in basketball to field a winner is a competent coach and 3-4 good to great players. The Gophers are actually pretty close to crossing that threshold if the cards fall into place and everyone here knows what cards I'm talking about.

The Wolves are a disaster. It'll be years before they become relevant again, if ever. The Wild have almost completely distroyed all goodwill by underachieving and underspending. Gopher hockey is also a mess but they're the closest of the 3 to turning things around. Gopher basketball can really stake its claim as the top show in town during the winter if they can just make that extra step.

Completely agree. There's a large market share for the taking in the winter. Unlike football, all it takes in basketball to field a winner is a competent coach and 3-4 good to great players. The Gophers are actually pretty close to crossing that threshold if the cards fall into place and everyone here knows what cards I'm talking about.

The Wolves are a disaster. It'll be years before they become relevant again, if ever. The Wild have almost completely distroyed all goodwill by underachieving and underspending. Gopher hockey is also a mess but they're the closest of the 3 to turning things around. Gopher basketball can really stake its claim as the top show in town during the winter if they can just make that extra step.

If Gopher basketball is good, they can rule the winter indeed. Gopher hockey for all its passionate fans, is a niche sport. A vast majority of MN sports fans don't follow college hockey, and a good % of the ones that do, root for one of the other state schools. The same is true for the Wild to a lesser extent. Even many of the Wild 'fans' I know who generally pay attention, rarely actually sit and watch a full game. They simply don't like hockey enough. The 20,000 who pack the X are great, but they also make up a not-insignificant % of the overall fanbase.

The Gophers' main competition in the Winter has always been in the Timberwolves, and they barely have a pulse. There's no reason Gopher hoops can't be the third most popular sport in town after the Vikings and Twins. They may already be, but a nice Big 10/Sweet 16 run would lock it in.

No offense to Gopher baseball...but I'd rather spend that money on a basketball practice facility. Gopher baseball...you can have the Metrodome.

Both will be funded privately and by pretty much entirely different groups of donors. The Pohlads aren't going to donate to a BB practice facility, for example. Get 'em both done.

Both will be funded privately and by pretty much entirely different groups of donors. The Pohlads aren't going to donate to a BB practice facility, for example. Get 'em both done.

+1

They're different projects but I like the idea of somehow incorporating the basketball practice facility and the baseball field into one area.

First-The Basketball Practice facility and the ballpark are two seperate projects that simply don't have anything in common. The best I can come up with is building the practice facility behind a outfield wall and putting both basketball and baseball offices, lockerrooms, etc in the practice area. That isn't that great of idea and not going to happen. Now they can do the public fundraising campaign together.

Second-The fundraising for the ballpark shouldn't be that difficult. You get the Pohlands, Paul Molitor, Dave Winfield, Terry Steinbach, Glen Perkins, and Joe Mauer(I know he didn't go to the U but he still is a good Minnesota boy) and any other big name in Minnesota baseball, in a room with a open bar-the DQ Club Room would be great(oops, my bad)-and say we need $15 million for a next generation of Minnesotan baseball players what can you do. That should get it done fast.

Third-Repeat for basketball, most likely won't get it done but it would be a decent start.

Thanks GL, I'm not exactly sure where those areas are, is one of them the adjoining lot that is by the front doors of the Pavilion?

The 4th street side has no room for building parking lots across the street from Williams. So it wont be attached? Skyway I suppose is possible?
I still say they need to include upgrading the University Ave. entrance to Williams. Its pretty bad, and its a great spot to open things up for fans on that side of the arena. Very hard to navigate through the arena before games and at halftime.

Top Bottom