LOLB- Reeves and Cooper rotate
MLB- Campbell and Maresh rotate
ROLB- Lawrence / Tinsley
CB- Simmons / Lewis or collado
FS- Royston
SS- Dandridge and Theret rotating
CB- Sherels / Carter

Returner- Stoudermire

I would put Triplett ahead of Maresh at MLB. He had 31 tackles last year. Maresh hasn't played since 2007 and his a cyst in his leg. I love the kid but I wouldn't pencil him in as a contributor this year quite yet.

Also, I think we will see Mike Rallis on the field. He had 20 tackles as a freshman...he will be splitting some time with Royston, IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carpenter at returner in addition to Stoudermire.

Other than that, I can't disagree with your assessment!

QB- Weber / Gray
HB- Bennett / Whaley / Eskridge
FB- Hoese
TE- TowArnett / Lair
WR- Decker / Mcknight / Brandon
WR- Carpenter / Green / Smith / Kuznia
LT- Stommes
LG- Alford
C-Burris
RG-Carufel
RT- Wills

LE- Jacobs / Hendersen
DT- Small / Edwards
DT- Brown / Kirksey
RE- Mckinley / Onwauchi
LOLB- Reeves and Cooper rotate
MLB- Campbell and Maresh rotate
ROLB- Lawrence / Tinsley
FS- Royston
CB- Sherels / Carter

Returner- Stoudermire

Do you have Big Play Traye starting??????

Big Play, a little less booze at closing time. What's BPT's last name?

Lee Campbell is a solid start. Best MLB we've had in quite a while if you ask me. I was very impressed with this kid last year (after playing on the line the year before). He's not only going to be better, but he's the leader on the defense.

Rallis will be on the field as well. For a true freshman he impressed me. Reminds me of Rosga and the Rosga that played at Colorado.

Pretty solid but.....

On Offense....
Whaley #2 RB?
Kuznia will play a lot more than most of the guys you have ahead of him

On Defense....
Don't expect to see much of Henderson
The other LB spot next to Lawrence/Campbell will see Triplet starting w/ Cooper ot on his heels, then Reeves
Rallis will see the field quite a bit at Safety

I just don't see Carpenter starting, not after the switch to the new offense. We were still a spread team when he signed his LOI.

Carpenter not starting

We still are a spread team, just a different version. As for Triplet, he has never been a factor on this team even when we had no talent under Mason, and now he is going to be starting or be seeing serious playing time? I don't see it. He is too slow and not an athlete, if he couldn't beat out Mike Sherels he can't beat out anybody.

Lawrence, Triplet saw playing time last year and is currently lining up with the #1's in Spring practice. I'm not saying he's Lawrence Taylor, but look for him to be the third starter this season and if replaced at some point to be the #1 sub at LB multiple positions.

The biggest need is OL improvement. With Carufel and Wills penciled in, that should be a step in the right direction and must be better than what we had there in 08. Stommes/Alford combo does not get me very excited at this point but they are the best we have. Alford needs to stay healthy and develop some mobility and we know very little about Stommes. Center is still up in the air and I hope one of the three candidates seperates from the competition as that is a key spot. It will interesting to see where Wynn ends up. Backup RT or LG. OL will continue to be a work in progress but we will definitely have a lot of depth as a lot of guys have logged significant PT. But there is zero chemistry and experience playing as a unit. I look for improvement this Fall but, IMO, the OL won't be a solid unit until 2010.

Everything I changed is in italics and I edited it for Blue because Italics didn't work well

QB- Weber / Gray
HB- Bennett / Eskridge / Lipscomb / Whaley (3rd down back)
FB- Hoese
TE- TowArnett / Hageman
WR- Decker / Mcknight / Brandon / Allen
WR- Carpenter / Green / Smith / Kuznia
LT- Stommes
LG- Alford
C-Davis
RG-Carufel
RT- Wills

SDE- Jacobs / Moen
DT- Small / Edwards / Moen
DT- Brown / Kirksey Moen
WDE- Mckinley / Onwauchi
SLB- Triplett / Reeves
MLB- Campbell / Maresh / Tinsley
WLB- Lawrence / Cooper
FS- Royston / Rallis / Watkins
CB- Sherels / Carter (nickel)

KR- Stoudermire
PR- Allen or Carpenter

If Brock returns safeties are Brock/Royston
WR (for 3 WR sets)- Green / McKnight
TE (for 2 TE sets) - Hageman / Lair

Rationale for changes:
*RB- Whaley is probably too small to run between the tackles which is a focus with the new offense. He would make a phenomenal 3rd down back like Palmer was for the Vikings a while back, Mewelde Moore or the best I've ever see at it, Ronnie Harmon w/ the Chargers
*TE- I just think Hageman is going to be a stud and he's going to be ready
*C- Just a hunch that Davis wins the C spot, nothing concrete
*DE/DT- Moen is going to play 3 DL spots this year and I haven't heard one thing about Henderson all spring
*OLB- I changed LOLB and ROLB to strong and weak. Cooper is going to be a stud but he and Reeves are not going to be at the same LB position. Cooper is under 210 lbs and is too small to fit in to on the strong side which is where we will have the 220+ Reeves. Think of Cooper as another Simoni Lawrence and unless it is a passing situation we won't have the two of them on the field at the same time because we would be weak against the run. I put Triplett ahead of Reeves because of experience. Triplett will be great against a running team (Iowa, Wisc, MSU, Air Force) but we'll need to have Reeves in there on passing situations because he has better speed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Reeves getting more snaps by the end of the year as he gains experience.
*MLB-Maresh will get some time in there but Campbell will be the starter. I also moved Tinsley over from OLB to MLB because he is taking reps as #2 MLB in practice (they have Maresh at #3 right now). In a 3-4 we'll line up Maresh & Campbell and Tinsley will be the primary back up for each but Triplett can also work in to that role which would leave Reeves at one OLB and Lawrence/Cooper at the other or in a 3-4 you could actually play both Cooper and Lawrence at the same time and it would scare the crap out of the line because they wouldn't know where the rush is going to come from and they're both so damn fast.

Mark my words, you will know Bryant Allen at the end of the season and they will find a way for him to make an impact. It may be in the passing game by getting him the ball a couple time a game or it may be as a punt returner. He is like Stoudermire but faster, quicker, and more agile. He will be a stud at Minnesota.

So teams like Wisconsin and Michigan St. run a version of the spread offense?

MN's offense will not be like WI's or MSU's. Just because we will run some power formations, we will spread it much more than those teams. Do you think Gray is going to run an offense like WI's?

*TE- I just think Hageman is going to be a stud and he's going to be ready

i agree he has the prototypical TE body. as long as he picks up on the offense and shows some blocking skills i think he will see plenty of playing time.

So teams like Wisconsin and Michigan St. run a version of the spread offense?

If you are expecting an offense like those teams, you will be disappointed. This will be a multi-formation, multiple WR, pro style offense.

If you are expecting an offense like those teams, you will be disappointed. This will be a multi-formation, multiple WR, pro style offense.

I hope you are right, but what I have read recently has been more in live with what Plinnius wrote.

what do you think about with shady in all of this?

Right there competing with everybody else for PT at RB. I've heard he has made a lot of progress in the weight room. Those are just predictions for depth chart, they aren't fact. The move back toward a more power running game may be better for Jay Thomas too. Time will tell how the RB situation works out but there are a lot of talented players and the depth chart is not clearly defined yet.

MN's offense will not be like WI's or MSU's. Just because we will run some power formations, we will spread it much more than those teams. Do you think Gray is going to run an offense like WI's?

In an interview with Doogie Wolfson over at Rivals a couple months ago, Jedd Fisch explicitly mentioned Wisconsin, MSU, and Iowa as teams in the Big Ten that run the type of offense that he's going to run. He was also unfamiliar with the term "spread offense" and said that our offense is not going to look like New England's or Indianapolis'.

I really don't like us going to a strictly 2 WR, TE, offense. I hope we still run a lot of 3 WR sets because I think WR will be our best skill position. We knocked Dunbar rightfully for lack of creativity but I hope Fisch knows how to take advantage of our best players.

In an interview with Doogie Wolfson over at Rivals a couple months ago, Jedd Fisch explicitly mentioned Wisconsin, MSU, and Iowa as teams in the Big Ten that run the type of offense that he's going to run. He was also unfamiliar with the term "spread offense" and said that our offense is not going to look like New England's or Indianapolis'.

I really hope not. I feel that would be a huge step backwards for the Gopher football team. I am hoping to see something more similar to Florida or Oklahoma than Iowa or Wisconsin. Those teams have power running elements but are able to spread the field with 3, 4, and 5 wide receivers. I'd like to be a power running team that spreads the ball to all its play makers. Brewster has been recruiting athletes on offense and defense. I have a hard time believing he's ok with a mundane, boring, pound it out offense. I just don't see it. Brewster likes explosiveness. I see the ball moving through the air and ground in years to come.

Brewster gone

If we look like Iowa, MSU, or Wisconsin Brewster will not see the 2010 season. I too think we will be like Florida or Oklahoma. Why would Brewster model our team after programs that suck?

i agree that we aren't going to look like iowa or wisconsin, but i do hope we look more like new england or indianapolis than florida. i think it comes down to terminology. "spread" and "pro-style" really are only useful to conjure up an image in peoples minds, they don't mean anything in real life.

but if we look like this in 2010, i will be very happy.

or like this

If we look like Iowa, MSU, or Wisconsin Brewster will not see the 2010 season.

Oh yeah, that would be terrible. God forbid we go to the Outback, Citrus or Capital One Bowl. I'd much rather go to the Sun, Motor City, or micronpc.com Bowl every year.

The level of delusion by some on this board is mind-blowing.

Top Bottom