Depth at Quarterback - who is #2

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
We can all agree that Morgan has stepped up and is a big reason why we're 5 - 0. PJ has talked about depth and we seem to be good most positions. Concerning to me is the #2 QB position. Any insight as to who it would be: Kramer or Clark? What would/could they offer that Morgan doesn't have and what areas would we see a drop off?

Kramer was the one who came out for a few seconds a few games ago when Tanner's helmet came off, before we switched to Green in the wildcat, so I think Kramer would be the "backup." That said, if it's a few plays type of thing, I bet we'd just run Green until Tanner came back in

Just a reminder that, knock on wood, so far this is about the best luck the Gophers have had injury-wise in my memory.

In the Gopher attempt to climb the college football ladder, having good luck with injuries is a huge plus. Teams scrapping their way up often have good talent but just not enough of it in their depth. So, remaining injury free will magnify the position by position talent level the team will be able to put on the field compared to their opponents with each game.

To compound the good luck on the Gopher injury front, I also don't remember where it seems as though each week the opponent loses their QB prior to, or in their game with the Gophers. In five games, we have seen Georgia Southern, Purdue, and Illinois lose their QB while there were some issues with SDSU too, and the status of Nebraska QB is uncertain for the next game. It is almost like some divine parting of the seas.

As others have said, I don't recall anyone feeling sorry for the Gophers or putting asterisks by losses in the standings when they (often) have had to fill major holes in the lineup due to injury.

Think they are comfortable using green as well if needed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just a reminder that, knock on wood, so far this is about the best luck the Gophers have had injury-wise in my memory.

In the Gopher attempt to climb the college football ladder, having good luck with injuries is a huge plus. Teams scrapping their way up often have good talent but just not enough of it in their depth. So, remaining injury free will magnify the position by position talent level the team will be able to put on the field compared to their opponents with each game.

To compound the good luck on the Gopher injury front, I also don't remember where it seems as though each week the opponent loses their QB prior to, or in their game with the Gophers. In five games, we have seen Georgia Southern, Purdue, and Illinois lose their QB while there were some issues with SDSU too, and the status of Nebraska QB is uncertain for the next game. It is almost like some divine parting of the seas.

As others have said, I don't recall anyone feeling sorry for the Gophers or putting asterisks by losses in the standings when they (often) have had to fill major holes in the lineup due to injury.

No kidding, the Gophers have relatively avoided key injuries. Keeping fingers crossed.

How far along is Zach's rehab? Is he lost for the season?

No kidding, the Gophers have relatively avoided key injuries. Keeping fingers crossed.

How far along is Zach's rehab? Is he lost for the season?

The big question is do we sit Winfield against Maryland in a few weeks? Half joking but 2 years in a row his season ended in that game and we need him healthy.

Hopefully we don’t have to find out. We’d probably see a mix of Green and Kramer.

Want some real scientific info on this (/s)?

While at the Purdue game I noticed during warmups that Clark was paired with Morgan - both having someone else next to them to catch the passes. Kramer on the other hand was playing catch with someone else - both needing to catch the passes themselves. No finger protection for Kramer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want some real scientific info on this (/s)?

While at the Purdue game I noticed during warmups that Clark was paired with Morgan - both having someone else next to them to catch the passes. Kramer on the other hand was playing catch with someone else - both needing to catch the passes themselves. No finger protection for Kramer?

And Green wears gloves like Teddy...so I think he throws to himself in warm ups...

I'd hate to be the offensive lineman that gets run up on from behind by Faalele.

True.

It works the other way too.

A game or two ago (two I think) we had our RB get stalled in the backfield and tried to make something happen and shifted directs a bit and ... ran into Faalele ... he bounced off Faalele, and Faalele's body barely moved.

Highly doubt they would just run Green out there:

He doesn’t practice the whole playbook, so he probably doesn’t even know half of it.

The other QBs are getting more reps and know the whole playbook.

There is already a definite backup for every game. That backup has been prepped to be the backup. That backup is not Green.

To think that there is no plan and that Kramer or Clark are not the definite backup is silly.

They may or may not be fully “ready”. Remember how Morgan looked his first few series in 2018? Not the guy we see now.

Last edited:

True.

It works the other way too.

A game or two ago (two I think) we had our RB get stalled in the backfield and tried to make something happen and shifted directs a bit and ... ran into Faalele ... he bounced off Faalele, and Faalele's body barely moved.

I still have visions of that poor slow to get up Georgia Tech DL that Faalele used as a whoopie cushion.

We can all agree that Morgan has stepped up and is a big reason why we're 5 - 0. PJ has talked about depth and we seem to be good most positions. Concerning to me is the #2 QB position. Any insight as to who it would be: Kramer or Clark? What would/could they offer that Morgan doesn't have and what areas would we see a drop off?

I am wondering that, too. Never hear a word about it in the media or from the coaches. It's a big issue if Tanner goes down, unless they expect Green to step in.

I am wondering that, too. Never hear a word about it in the media or from the coaches. It's a big issue if Tanner goes down, unless they expect Green to step in.

I would expect a decision on QB #2 would be made almost entirely on the length of time. Morgan gets dinged up late in the 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter of a game, Green probably steps in and finishes the game; the following week, TBD. If Morgan were to go out for an extended period of time, multiple games, etc, then we probably see who they like better between the other 2 true FR? Just my guess

I want to think there is a contingency plan...beyond the wildcat particularly if there is a close contest and Morgan gets hurt. Have to think our special season won’t allow that to happen...

Maybe Sid should be asking about that kid from Eden Pairie. It’s been awhile.

Spoofin’s intel was solid but perhaps it’s meant to throw us off the scent.

Anybody heard a time frame on Annexstad? Would there even be a chance he'd be available later this season if something happened to Morgan?

Being that the freshmen can play in four games and keep their redshirt...anybody else surprised we haven’t gotten our number two some game snaps? Lots of times that first game action is pretty panicky. ��.
Maybe they are hoping they get to Zack?
Hopefully, we never find out who number two is, I guess? It seems the staff isn’t real confident in whoever it is.

There’s been complete silence on the Annexstad situation, and I’m wondering why.

Kramer was the one who came out for a few seconds a few games ago when Tanner's helmet came off, before we switched to Green in the wildcat, so I think Kramer would be the "backup." That said, if it's a few plays type of thing, I bet we'd just run Green until Tanner came back in

I've noticed Clark and Kramer seem to be in a weekly rotation of who wears the vest and headset. The game where Kramer stepped out on the field when Morgan's hat came off was a game Clark was wearing the vest and headset. The following week, it was Kramer. Last week it was Clark. If it needs to be a quick/temporary decision to get someone on the field, my bet is it will be either Green or the QB not wearing the equipment.

I was surprised we didn't see one of the other QBs late in the 4th last week.

There’s been complete silence on the Annexstad situation, and I’m wondering why.

I don't feel like we got a lot of detail last time either. I think it is just the way Zack / the coach's want to deal with it.

Being that the freshmen can play in four games and keep their redshirt...anybody else surprised we haven’t gotten our number two some game snaps? Lots of times that first game action is pretty panicky. ��.
Maybe they are hoping they get to Zack?
Hopefully, we never find out who number two is, I guess? It seems the staff isn’t real confident in whoever it is.

Outside of near the end of the Illinois game we really have not had a ton of opportunities to work in a backup at QB. We have needed our first string offense in there for the entire game.

Hes still hurt and not ready to play, and we aren't in a spot where we are getting bad QB play with fans clamoring to know when the messiah is coming, so I think we are in a spot where there isnt much to share and no one loudly asking for info.

Hes still hurt and not ready to play, and we aren't in a spot where we are getting bad QB play with fans clamoring to know when the messiah is coming, so I think we are in a spot where there isnt much to share and no one loudly asking for info.

I’m just wondering how long he’ll be out, because QB’s have been going down like flies on teams we’re playing. I just worry that that’s going to happen to us before or during hitting the tough part of the schedule

I’m just wondering how long he’ll be out, because QB’s have been going down like flies on teams we’re playing. I just worry that that’s going to happen to us before or during hitting the tough part of the schedule

I wouldn't expect to see him play a snap this entire year.

I have zero inside info, it's just from the nature of his injury, his importance to the program, and his bright future. He won't play a snap unless he absolutely needs to (think tie game at the Bank and the Big 10 West Championship is on the line and Morgan gets hurt).

Top Bottom