Defensive Coordinator Joe Rossi Will Not Coach on Saturday After Testing Positive for COVID-19

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Defensive Coordinator Joe Rossi Will Not Coach on Saturday After Testing Positive for COVID-19

University of Minnesota defensive coordinator Joe Rossi has tested positive for COVID-19 and will not coach during Minnesota’s game on Saturday at Illinois.

Rossi tested positive during one of Minnesota’s daily antigen testing periods this week and his diagnosis was confirmed with a follow-up PCR test. Upon diagnosis, he immediately returned home and started his isolation process while working remotely.

No other members of Minnesota’s coaching staff have tested positive for COVID-19 during the team’s daily antigen testing this week.

In Rossi’s absence, Defensive Backs, Safeties and Co-Defensive Coordinator Joe Harasymiak will call the defense on Saturday when Minnesota plays at Illinois.

Go Gophers!!

Always tough when a coach gets it due to the fact they are roaming around.

Hopefully Rossi heals quickly and it wasn't spread around the program.

PJ had alluded to something all week. Hopefully this is all the news!

Well, I guess we'll see if any players are out...

On Monday, the athletics department announced via its website an overall testing update for the month of October, with 62 positive results from 6,257 tests. Since the department began testing in June, there have been 160 positives from 9,846 tests. The department does not specify athletes from staff members or by sport.

There was a large jump in the number of tests from 2,183 in September, largely because the Big Ten’s daily testing protocol for the football season went into effect.

Hope he has a mild case and no lasting health issues. I wonder if PJF gets more involved in the D ? It's hard to imagine us giving up more yards than we have in our 1st two games.

My guess is that symptoms are mild, as are most cases these days. Hope he is okay.

Well, at the risk of sounding cynical:

If the Gophers' defense plays better this week, people will say "See, we got rid of Rossi and they played better."

If the Gophers' defense does not play better, then all bets are off.

Well, at the risk of sounding cynical:

If the Gophers' defense plays better this week, people will say "See, we got rid of Rossi and they played better."

If the Gophers' defense does not play better, then all bets are off.

Different situation though from when he took over for Smith as I am sure that Rossi is still heavily involved in the gameplan for the Illinois game, he just won't be on the sideline calling the plays.

On one hand - hope you have a swift recovery Rossi!

On the other hand, the D can’t get much worse.

All contact tracing was negative, due to our defensive players' recent distance from others.

Seriously though, Rossi's a good coach and hoping to get him back healthy.

MOST cases are mild, nothing I said there was offensive or non scientific.
Big increase in cases in both Europe and the US, but the death RATES are much lower than in the original wave. UK's case load is almost three times the first one - incredible. This thing is really contagious. Hope Coach Rossi recovers quickly and no spread within staff and players. Look at Wisconsin!

All contact tracing was negative, due to our defensive players' recent distance from others.

Seriously though, Rossi's a good coach and hoping to get him back healthy.

Burn. That gave me a chuckle with my morning coffee!

Top Bottom