Defense

gold04

Reaction score
I know ever since last season ended there were some here on this site that believed our defense would be better this year. I said no way and now with the injuries the defense has experienced and Tinsley possibly getting kicked off the team, your drinking a lot a kool-aid if you think the defense will be better this year. Teams at times will score at will against us this year. I hope our defense turns out to be the best in the Big Ten but right now I think we'll definetly be at the bottom. I hope I'm wrong, but our D looks pretty shaky this year.

Gopher defense.....

I agree.

Depth seems to be a problem. Barring some unforeseen miracle, Cosgrove may have the defense step up and play out of their tree all season long. Sure hope something positive comes out of this mess.

Some partial good news anyway, at least this crap happened in the springtime and not the fall season.
Teams that have starters kicked off during the season really hurt bad. Screws everything up.:eek:

I know ever since last season ended there were some here on this site that believed our defense would be better this year. I said no way and now with the injuries the defense has experienced and Tinsley possibly getting kicked off the team, your drinking a lot a kool-aid if you think the defense will be better this year. Teams at times will score at will against us this year. I hope our defense turns out to be the best in the Big Ten but right now I think we'll definetly be at the bottom. I hope I'm wrong, but our D looks pretty shaky this year.

I think your probably the life of a party! why be negative when you have no clue whether or not the defense will be better or worse? I will say I think the front 7 should be faster and more athletic than last year. secondary is a crap shoot to me. so in my mind I would say we might be better, might be worse...no clue until the season starts! so start another post that can't be proven wrong until after the season...what a joke, I'm sick of gopherhole members being negative a**holes when its all speculation, its annoying!

I think your probably the life of a party! why be negative when you have no clue whether or not the defense will be better or worse? I will say I think the front 7 should be faster and more athletic than last year. secondary is a crap shoot to me. so in my mind I would say we might be better, might be worse...no clue until the season starts! so start another post that can't be proven wrong until after the season...what a joke, I'm sick of gopherhole members being negative a**holes when its all speculation, its annoying!

Holy cow man. Settle down a bit. The guy gave a simple opinion that I am sure is shared by a lot of people on here. I can say that I completely agree with him. With the injuries and off the field crap, the question marks are starting to pile up. Is that really such a bad thing to point out? Its not like he said, "I hope the defense is worse than last year." You need to drink some of that kool-aid mixed with some vodka to calm down a bit. Sheesh

I love it when things are hopeless before we start.

I think the defense will be just fine. I'm still more worried about the offense.

I love it when things are hopeless before we start.

I think the defense will be just fine. I'm still more worried about the offense.

Not hopeless, but there are problems. 2 projected starters proved to be morons and could possibly miss time because of poor off field decisions. Another projected starter has a serious injury. The back up to Tinsley has also proved to be a moron and cant stay out of trouble. So there you have a lack of any experience or depth at MLB, and a huge loss of experience with the safety positions. Am I still excited? Yes I am, but I know we are being dealt some setbacks.

I don't think we're giving Cosgrove enough credit here. These are talented kids and Cos knows how to scheme to keep from getting blown up by a lack of experience. Will they dominate? I doubt it, but they won't get tossed about either. We won't be able to win off of our defense, and the great teams may score plenty, but I wouldn't bet on a Masonesk defense.

Losing Gary Tinsley will be a gigantic loss. I will not mince words on that. Fortunately for us, it is likely at a position of depth.

I think the OP fails to realize that most people who thought the D this year would be better made those statements before the Royston injury and Tinsley stupidity.

In my opinion, I think our defense will be at least similar to last year with the potential to be much better. We do lack some known depth, but we'll see.

Well, I have to agree that you chose to spring from a rather negative premise. I however have to admit that we have a number of ?marks going into the Spring Game; Yet it is early as it is only the Spring Game. We will regroup by the fall and this younger, faster, quicker and more athletic defense will ultimately surpass last year's squad. They will get better each week barring significant injuries. The depth will be reinforced by some rather mature JUCOs joining us in the secondary in the fall and we have to hope that the Tinsley crap resolves better than it may look now; we do need him to be good. Next Man Up is a solid montra as long as decent players are standing in line. GO GOPHERS!

Tinsley will miss time but I would be shocked if he is dismissed from the team even if it is for a second alcohol related offense.

Tinsley will miss time but I would be shocked if he is dismissed from the team even if it is for a second alcohol related offense.

I would tend to agree with you and sincerely hope that you are right. He will be 21 years old this year so the running to avoid getting caught drinking underaged will come to a hault. Hope Maresh can step up in his, I hope, short absence.

I would tend to agree with you and sincerely hope that you are right. He will be 21 years old this year so the running to avoid getting caught drinking underaged will come to a hault. Hope Maresh can step up in his, I hope, short absence.

You mean if Maresh makes it back from another drinking incident???

Our defense will be as good as our offense allows them to be. Yea, they are inexperienced but they are fast and should fly around and hit people. But if the offense continues to go 3 & out all season long again, yea they will struggle. I think last year the defense played pretty well considering they front 7 was fairly unathletic and they were on the field 3/4 of the time. If the offense can stay on the field, get some first downs and just have some productive drives, I am not worried about the defense against most oppenents. If MTS comes out and puts up 40 points on us to begin the year, then I will be a little worried, but until then, I have confidence they will be a good, not yet dominating defense. Let the kids learn from their mistakes and in a couple years they could be the best defense that many of us have ever seen from a Gopher team.

Holy cow man. Settle down a bit. The guy gave a simple opinion that I am sure is shared by a lot of people on here. I can say that I completely agree with him. With the injuries and off the field crap, the question marks are starting to pile up. Is that really such a bad thing to point out? Its not like he said, "I hope the defense is worse than last year." You need to drink some of that kool-aid mixed with some vodka to calm down a bit. Sheesh

the guy was trying to pat himself on the back about why he is right and the defense will be worse than last year. annoys the hell out of me that many people come here to just start going off on why we won't be successful compared to focusing on why we CAN be successful. this guy will be the first to sit back with his peoples and talk about how much he loves the gophers and then come online and cut them down. why don't we speculate on why our defense will be better? no where in the original post does it say anything positive, throw in the towel and go to wisky or iowa, I'm tired of all the debbie downers! this doesn't mean I'm chugging brew's kool aid-throw out a concern but toss out some positivity

You know who could really coach up our defense? Mike Hohensee.

the guy was trying to pat himself on the back about why he is right and the defense will be worse than last year. annoys the hell out of me that many people come here to just start going off on why we won't be successful compared to focusing on why we CAN be successful. this guy will be the first to sit back with his peoples and talk about how much he loves the gophers and then come online and cut them down. why don't we speculate on why our defense will be better? no where in the original post does it say anything positive, throw in the towel and go to wisky or iowa, I'm tired of all the debbie downers! this doesn't mean I'm chugging brew's kool aid-throw out a concern but toss out some positivity

+1

agreed, and anytime someone states in their post "I hope I'm wrong" they don't, they want to be negative and right so they can keep spewing their negative crap. We might not be better on D but we have a chance to be a lot better with speed and athleticism on the rise. Kirksey and Edwards could be All Big Ten 1st teamers. They are beasts and have that needed swagger about them, throw in Hageman and Wilhite and we could have a great line with Jacobs backing up.

Top Bottom