Defense rather than Defensive

Reaction score
While I admit most of the season has been a collective "Ugh", rather than become defensive about Tubby, Al, Royce, and others I want to focus on basketball. I plan to embrace the cliche' "one game at a time" and enjoy thinking about the team we have on the floor and our next opponent, Penn St.

What's been gnawing at me the last couple of days is DEFENSE. What happened to holding Illinois to 36 points, or clamping down on Wisconsin in the last 5 minutes and OT in Madison? Granted, we haven't matched up with either of these teams yet this season, but I'm not seeing nearly the same defensive effort or effectiveness this season compared to last. The stats tell the tale.

Big Ten games only

Opponent's FG percentage (this year): 45%
Opponent's FG percentage (last year): 41%

Opponent's 3-pt percentage (this): 41%
Opponent's 3-pt percentage (last): 37%

Offensive rebounds allowed per game (this): 11.4
Offensive rebounds allowed per game (last): 10.3

Points allowed (this): 70.8
Points allowed (last): 61.1

Held opponent under 70 points (this): 4 games (out of 9)... less than half; no one under 60
Held opponent under 70 points (last): 12 games (out of 18)... 2/3 of the games; 8 games sub-60!

What has changed? I have a few thoughts. (1) Jamal Abu-Shamala and Travis Busch. They were glue guys, team guys, and not afraid to scrap for a loose ball and get on the floor. Who is doing that this year? (2) Perimeter defense. Wasn't the greatest last season either, but the guys seem to have a tougher time fighting through screens and jumping out on shooters. (3) Desire and sense of urgency. Last season the team seemed bound and determined to prove it was an NCAA tournament team. This year it felt like (to all of us, as well) that the tourney was a foregone conclusion. There are no guarantees we've found. The team has got to get that edge back.

Any other issues with the Gopher defense?

Let's go out and beat Penn State Saturday. Limit Battle to 15 pts or less and do not allow any of their other wings to get hot from the 3-pt line.

Battle is gonna get his...but i completely agree with that...I've never seen the gophers play more poorly defensively during the Tubby Smith era than in the OSU game...also we are a terrible shooting team on the road...I mean dreadfully awful..almost hard to watch.

Sure the Gophers are great at steals, press/trap (with Nolen on the floor) and blocking shorts. But I have not been impressed with their ability to play solid, tough man-man D. And seldom contain the other teams star.

1. Losing Nolen hurts
2. The twin towers made it nearly impossible to get off an open 2 point shot. Two 7ish footer roaming the lane means there are no easy shots down there.

Three point shooting defense seems about the same as always.

While I admit most of the season has been a collective "Ugh", rather than become defensive about Tubby, Al, Royce, and others I want to focus on basketball. I plan to embrace the cliche' "one game at a time" and enjoy thinking about the team we have on the floor and our next opponent, Penn St.

What's been gnawing at me the last couple of days is DEFENSE. What happened to holding Illinois to 36 points, or clamping down on Wisconsin in the last 5 minutes and OT in Madison? Granted, we haven't matched up with either of these teams yet this season, but I'm not seeing nearly the same defensive effort or effectiveness this season compared to last. The stats tell the tale.

Big Ten games only

Opponent's FG percentage (this year): 45%
Opponent's FG percentage (last year): 41%

Opponent's 3-pt percentage (this): 41%
Opponent's 3-pt percentage (last): 37%

Offensive rebounds allowed per game (this): 11.4
Offensive rebounds allowed per game (last): 10.3

Points allowed (this): 70.8
Points allowed (last): 61.1

Held opponent under 70 points (this): 4 games (out of 9)... less than half; no one under 60
Held opponent under 70 points (last): 12 games (out of 18)... 2/3 of the games; 8 games sub-60!

What has changed? I have a few thoughts. (1) Jamal Abu-Shamala and Travis Busch. They were glue guys, team guys, and not afraid to scrap for a loose ball and get on the floor. Who is doing that this year? (2) Perimeter defense. Wasn't the greatest last season either, but the guys seem to have a tougher time fighting through screens and jumping out on shooters. (3) Desire and sense of urgency. Last season the team seemed bound and determined to prove it was an NCAA tournament team. This year it felt like (to all of us, as well) that the tourney was a foregone conclusion. There are no guarantees we've found. The team has got to get that edge back.

Any other issues with the Gopher defense?

Let's go out and beat Penn State Saturday. Limit Battle to 15 pts or less and do not allow any of their other wings to get hot from the 3-pt line.

You are right about JAS and Busch. We don't miss their ability. We miss their attitude, hustle and leadership. Our current team appears to lack all three right now.

1. Losing Nolen hurts
2. The twin towers made it nearly impossible to get off an open 2 point shot. Two 7ish footer roaming the lane means there are no easy shots down there.

I completely agree with #2. Why not play both of them for stretches to halt, or at least slow down a teams offense. With both of them in the lane the perimeter players have the freedom to pressure the ball and shots on the outside knowing that they will have two shot blockers in the middle to help on drives to the basket.

They are giving up 1.06 points per possession. 9th in the conference. Not good.

I completely agree with #2. Why not play both of them for stretches to halt, or at least slow down a teams offense. With both of them in the lane the perimeter players have the freedom to pressure the ball and shots on the outside knowing that they will have two shot blockers in the middle to help on drives to the basket.

Because then Carter or Rodney would be the de facto back up center.

1. Losing Nolen hurts

Yeah, #2 is key. Last year it was more difficult for other teams up close and driving the lane, we really miss that. Missing Nolen of course is big. Like Abu-Shamala and Busch, he 's a fighter. Cobb and Williams have the ability to become lock-down defenders.

They are giving up 1.06 points per possession. 9th in the conference. Not good.

Great stat. Tells quite a story and confirms our belief about the defense. I would guess this number is dramatically lower against those low-mid level teams we played in the NC. Now, the question is - Against better teams - What's your guess as to why? I phrased specifically. I don't think any of us really know the answer.

personally I think it's a combination of familiarity, and our propensity to collapse inside regardless of the quality of the offensive post player and 3pt shooters - we double down may times when there is no need, leaving good shooters open.

Great stat. Tells quite a story and confirms our belief about the defense. I would guess this number is dramatically lower against those low-mid level teams we played in the NC. Now, the question is - Against better teams - What's your guess as to why? I phrased specifically. I don't think any of us really know the answer.

personally I think it's a combination of familiarity, and our propensity to collapse inside regardless of the quality of the offensive post player and 3pt shooters - we double down may times when there is no need, leaving good shooters open.

Giving up easy 2s is the correct answer.

Top Bottom