Defending the Goal Post

Well, you may not know this either ruppert, but the axe has a red side, for Wisconsin wins, and a yellow side, for Minnesota wins. But keep trying to find offense where none exists.

Not too be picky but beckys colors are scarlet and white and Minnesota is maroon and gold. Actually I am picky and people from the dairyland are not that picky all all. This is especially true when you see them in person.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Not too be picky but beckys colors are scarlet and white and Minnesota is maroon and gold. Actually I am picky and people from the dairyland are not that picky all all. This is especially true when you see them in person.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Not to be picky (again), but Wisconsin's colors are cardinal and white, but I think even most Badger fans just call it red.

So what? It wouldn't be a rivalry if there wasn't some trash talking going on. I hope the players remember what it felt like. Bring it on bucky. We're getting better.

Of course we can't trash talk with badger fans on this board because the mods will ban the Gopher fans and keep welcoming the badger fans.

At Indiana I met some great a Gopher fans who always tailgate with the M flag on top and this year have an ASU flag right below it.

Of course Nadine and company would ban them.

At Indiana I met some great a Gopher fans who always tailgate with the M flag on top and this year have an ASU flag right below it.

Of course Nadine and company would ban them.

dude, we get it, you love to drive issues into the ground. i've seen three different uw trolls get banned on threads today. not to mention nadine does more to promote gopher sports than most anyone one of us, not sure why would you take shots at her? get over yourself.

Of course we can't trash talk with badger fans on this board because the mods will ban the Gopher fans and keep welcoming the badger fans.

I was banned Friday for pointing out I had a picture of the IDS GOPHER(!!!) pepfest removed. Go figure.

I was banned Friday for pointing out I had a picture of the IDS GOPHER(!!!) pepfest removed. Go figure.

pointman99, you were never banned. A few posts were deleted because UW fans were ripping your post. We've banned 7 Badger trolls today alone.

Golden Valley Badger is the typical Badger fan. Lives in Minnesota, works in Minnesota, but went to Madison 30 years ago. Never gets to a game in Madison, but attends a game every 2 years in Minnesota. Considers himself to be a "real" fan....

Not as bad as Iowa fans actually tearing down our goalposts, which happened a few years ago.

Iowa fans did tear down our goal posts but that was after they beat us to win their first big 10 championship in a generation - so I can't call them out for that ... They did however try to leave the dome with the goal post but could not get it through the revolving door

Golden Valley Badger is the typical Badger fan. Lives in Minnesota, works in Minnesota, but went to Madison 30 years ago. Never gets to a game in Madison, but attends a game every 2 years in Minnesota. Considers himself to be a "real" fan....

I am not sure why he is on here. He must realize that the snunks do have their own forums.

What doesn't fly are UW Football players flipping off the band and students when our players defended the goalpost. I would like to think Gary Anderson holds his players to a higher standard than that.

It is a football game. UW won. Congrats. You managed to provide 53,000+ people entertainment for the afternoon. You didn't solve world hunger or end poverty. You played a football game. Get over yourselves. You can celebrate in a matter that isn't disrespecting other human beings. I would like to think Coach Kill would chew out our guys for ever celebrating that way. Run around the field if you want, you earned it. But to disrespect that many students who you weren't even playing against, that is a different issue. It is called sportsmanship - even in rivalries.

I was given a 24hr ban until 1pm Saturday for "taunting a mod".

Should have only been a 15-yard penalty.

Gopherdrummer sums up my feelings pretty well. I'm old so I don't get too wound up either way (and I'd feel the same way if we had won). Seems like winning isn't enough these days without rubbing the loser's nose in it.

ESPN's Take:

The Wisconsin side claims that the Gophers were being sore losers by not allowing the annual tradition to continue. Minnesota would counter by saying it gathers in that end zone after every game to sing the alma mater in front of its student section, and the Badgers were rude to invade that area (politely asking, “Pardon me, would you mind if we took this giant axe to your uprights?" might not work, either)..

At the same time, if Minnesota wants to make such a stand on its home field, so be it. While Saturday’s game showed they’re getting a little closer to Wisconsin’s level, the Gophers have lost 10 straight in this series. Guarding the post could just have been their way of saying they’re tired of being pushed around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

ESPN's Take:

The Wisconsin side claims that the Gophers were being sore losers by not allowing the annual tradition to continue. Minnesota would counter by saying it gathers in that end zone after every game to sing the alma mater in front of its student section, and the Badgers were rude to invade that area (politely asking, “Pardon me, would you mind if we took this giant axe to your uprights?" might not work, either)..

At the same time, if Minnesota wants to make such a stand on its home field, so be it. While Saturday’s game showed they’re getting a little closer to Wisconsin’s level, the Gophers have lost 10 straight in this series. Guarding the post could just have been their way of saying they’re tired of being pushed around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

I really wish that our way of saying that we are tired of being pushed around would involve beating the Badgers.

I expect the BIG to serve a memo to the schools AD's dictating that "chopping down the goalpost with the Axe" cease and that the players & coaches are instructed to refrain from such actions in the future.

I expect the BIG to serve a memo to the schools AD's dictating that "chopping down the goalpost with the Axe" cease and that the players & coaches are instructed to refrain from such actions in the future.

Or just chop down one if you're the visiting team. I don't get overwrought by stuff like this, but I think a victory lap meeting our fans and having them touch the axe is perfectly fine and everything else just reminds me of a Jesse the Body Ventura vs. Ken Patera pose down.

I certainly have no problem with our players doing what they did in 'defending the goal post'. These are the kind of events and things that continue to make rivalries are what they are. I am also fine with the Badgers doing the goalpoat chop, albeit, maybe not always at the most appropriate time when at our home stadium, but oh well. Our players felt miffed, which was fine and chose the action they did. Which I am perfectly ok with. Again, these are the kind of things that continue to make it a great rivalry. Just my opinion though.

winners celebrate - losers complain.

If there is any positive to take from the game, it is not the "goal post defense." I am pleasantly surprised that the media is generally giving the Gophers credit for playing a competitive game, and admitting that the program is showing progress. But, to keep the momentum going, the Gophers need to win at least one more game this year and get to 9 wins. Beating MSU would be great, but I think winning the Bowl Game is almost a make-or-break situation. If they want to really show progress in the program, just getting to a bowl game is not good enough - you have to win on the big stage.

I certainly have no problem with our players doing what they did in 'defending the goal post'. These are the kind of events and things that continue to make rivalries are what they are. I am also fine with the Badgers doing the goalpoat chop, albeit, maybe not always at the most appropriate time when at our home stadium, but oh well. Our players felt miffed, which was fine and chose the action they did. Which I am perfectly ok with. Again, these are the kind of things that continue to make it a great rivalry. Just my opinion though.

Considering the last time someone tried to defend the goal post, it was Kim Royston - and he was the only one. It was pleasant to see our team stand together and turn the Badgers away. That shows you how Kill's foundation is holding strong. Stand together as a team - regardless of the outcome of the game.

Considering the last time someone tried to defend the goal post, it was Kim Royston - and he was the only one. It was pleasant to see our team stand together and turn the Badgers away. That shows you how Kill's foundation is holding strong. Stand together as a team - regardless of the outcome of the game.

+1

From what I saw, I actually saw the Badgers seem to wait until the Gopher players were done singing Hail Minnesota. Two years ago, I thought what the Badger players did was unclassy going right through them during Hail Minn. I thought they waited this time. However, clearly it looked like the players were united and I like to see that. Kind of reminds me of a set of rules my buddies & I have when we go on guy's weekends. Rule #1: NO GETTING INTO A FIGHT! Rule #2: If one guy breaks Rule #1, than EVERYONE breaks rule #1.

I thought it lacked class of what Borland & Shelton did, but overall, I had no problem with the Badgers. But also liked the "we're in this together" attitude by the Gophers.

Top Bottom