Dear Mr Coyle:

rpgopherfan

Reaction score
Dear Mr Coyle:

It's time to make a decision. One of these two has to go, the RPO offense (which is offensive) or Fleck. I understand that he is a student of coach Tressell dating back to his Ohio State years. But the game has passed this offense by. It's obvious to me that the easiest way to defend this offense is for the defense to read their keys, if the offensive line is is moving in one direction don't worry about the backside because the Goophers are incapable of running any misdirection plays. Jet sweep anyone? A tail back 7 yards behind the offensive line so he can see the holes devolop and possibly cut back??

If you're waiting for Coyle to say anything, or do anything - enjoy the wait.

the only way Coyle does anything is if there is some kind of off-field blow-up - possibly a mass exodus of players through the portal.

but just wins and losses - Coyle ain't going to say squat and he ain't going to do squat.

There are emotional people after losses then there are rational. Rational do not call for coaches heads and think we can always just hire a better coach. MOST of you called for 5/7 wins this year due to this schedule. Nobody said we would take the Pig and Axe (good chance). Step away from the ledge emotional people.
A rational person would not say there was a "good chance" of beating Wisconsin after today's performance.

Dear Mr Coyle:

It's time to make a decision. One of these two has to go, the RPO offense (which is offensive) or Fleck. I understand that he is a student of coach Tressell dating back to his Ohio State years. But the game has passed this offense by. It's obvious to me that the easiest way to defend this offense is for the defense to read their keys, if the offensive line is is moving in one direction don't worry about the backside because the Goophers are incapable of running any misdirection plays. Jet sweep anyone? A tail back 7 yards behind the offensive line so he can see the holes devolop and possibly cut back??
RPO is not the issue...as he doesn't seem to run it much. It is a relavant, viable scheme as many teams still use it. His offense is conservative and super basic, as demonstrated when they need to score a lot of points.

the only way Coyle does anything is if there is some kind of off-field blow-up - possibly a mass exodus of players through the portal.

but just wins and losses - Coyle ain't going to say squat and he ain't going to do squat.
I’m glad he won’t say anything because he can barely speak English.

There are emotional people after losses then there are rational. Rational do not call for coaches heads and think we can always just hire a better coach. MOST of you called for 5/7 wins this year due to this schedule. Nobody said we would take the Pig and Axe (good chance). Step away from the ledge emotional people.
I am into the program 41 years. Rational asks "can we do better" for 6 million a year? Iowa should have beat us, sans the sketchy call, be honest. 7 wins was a must and extremely doable. This program is dead in the water, no oars and the captain is incompetent.

No Jet Sweeps, No counter actions (unless you count the 1 or 2 times the QB keeps on the Zone Read), No bubble screens, no screen passes of any kind...completely bland, basic and unimaginative. Worst of all, easy for opposing coaches to prepare for. I hear a lot about how bad Athan is.....but he's up against it when the opposing D only has to prepare for a few things. That can't make his life any easier.

Coyle is a big part of the problem with our AD. About 70% of their budget will be covered by the new TV agreement. That's before we sell one seat for FB. BB. etc. He's a poor speaker, a weak leader and an incompetent fund raiser. What a gig for $1M/year. How many of us posters have it so good??

I am into the program 41 years. Rational asks "can we do better" for 6 million a year? Iowa should have beat us, sans the sketchy call, be honest. 7 wins was a must and extremely doable. This program is dead in the water, no oars and the captain is incompetent.
It was not a sketchy call.

No Jet Sweeps, No counter actions (unless you count the 1 or 2 times the QB keeps on the Zone Read), No bubble screens, no screen passes of any kind...completely bland, basic and unimaginative. Worst of all, easy for opposing coaches to prepare for. I hear a lot about how bad Athan is.....but he's up against it when the opposing D only has to prepare for a few things. That can't make his life any easier.
I agree that I would love to see more creative play-calling. There have been several film breakdowns on GH showing what Athan's seeing on a lot of passing plays and I agree it's not easy, when his RB and TE have to stay in and block a lot and there's 3 receivers in the pattern against 6-7 defenders.

Spannferd's diminished receiving output in 2023 (aside from drops) is a symptom of this.

Here's what I think is going on...

• Against weaker teams, the Gophers can just run the ball and squeeze foes like a boa constrictor. So the game plan is very simple and they play to not make a lot of mistakes and possess the ball. No need to get funky when you can hold the ball for 40 min and eventually win >90% of the time.
  • Against peer/stronger teams, the Gophers can't block well enough to call more complex (slower developing) plays. They need to hit on a few of these to be successful and open up other strategies, but they get risky when we're down to the 4th-5th RB picking up free rushers and executing the ball-handling. AK has been turnover prone (like a lot of QBs) when the walls start closing in and this team can't withstand many mistakes that lead to short fields.

And he's not going to say anything about a big portal departure.

I agree that I would love to see more creative play-calling. There have been several film breakdowns on GH showing what Athan's seeing on a lot of passing plays and I agree it's not easy, when his RB and TE have to stay in and block a lot and there's 3 receivers in the pattern against 6-7 defenders.

Spannferd's diminished receiving output in 2023 (aside from drops) is a symptom of this.

Here's what I think is going on...

• Against weaker teams, the Gophers can just run the ball and squeeze foes like a boa constrictor. So the game plan is very simple and they play to not make a lot of mistakes and possess the ball. No need to get funky when you can hold the ball for 40 min and eventually win >90% of the time.
  • Against peer/stronger teams, the Gophers can't block well enough to call more complex (slower developing) plays. They need to hit on a few of these to be successful and open up other strategies, but they get risky when we're down to the 4th-5th RB picking up free rushers and executing the ball-handling. AK has been turnover prone (like a lot of QBs) when the walls start closing in and this team can't withstand many mistakes that lead to short fields.
Not disagreeing with your post, but, the No. 5 RB has actually been the best of the pass protectors.

And he's not going to say anything about a big portal departure.

I was thinking more along the lines of -- a big group of players hit the portal while pointing the finger at Fleck - saying that Fleck or his system is the reason they're leaving. If something like that happened, it would be pretty hard for Coyle to ignore. (but he could probably find a way......)

RPO is not the issue...as he doesn't seem to run it much. It is a relavant, viable scheme as many teams still use it. His offense is conservative and super basic, as demonstrated when they need to score a lot of points.
We almost never run the RPO anymore - IMO, it's been one of our issues (not running it enough).

We almost never run the RPO anymore - IMO, it's been one of our issues (not running it enough).
Yeah, I don't get why they don't, but suspect it's because the staff doesn't have enough knowledge to run it effectively. Thus the basic HS offense.

Yeah, I don't get why they don't, but suspect it's because the staff doesn't have enough knowledge to run it effectively. Thus the basic HS offense.

So the Co-OC, who worked with KC for 7 years doesn't know how to run the RPO? I suspect you are wrong, again. And they're not running a basic HS offense either.

Dear Mr Coyle:

This post tells me you know nothing about X and Os, you have no idea what your saying

So the Co-OC, who worked with KC for 7 years doesn't know how to run the RPO? I suspect you are wrong, again. And they're not running a basic HS offense either.
Good to know my dog whistle still works with you. The offense is as basic and predictable as they come. Straight out of HS playbook. If he's so good at running an RPO, why isn't he running it?

I was thinking more along the lines of -- a big group of players hit the portal while pointing the finger at Fleck - saying that Fleck or his system is the reason they're leaving. If something like that happened, it would be pretty hard for Coyle to ignore. (but he could probably find a way......)
I don't think it will be either a big group or a lot of loud malcontents. As to the number, it would not need to be many to hurt us. Depends on who.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that Fleck has a good direct relationship with everyone on the team. I'd be very surprised if any transferee bad mouthed him.

Dear Mr Coyle:

Tresses offense used by Michigan —- no passes in second half, all runs. That seemed to work o.k..

Top Bottom