David Lockwood ?

The Truth

Reaction score
I know he was the Defensive Coordinator for a bit under Glenn Mason but I don't really remember much about his tenure. Anyone share any insight as to what kind of Coordinator he was in regards to scheme, tendencies, playcalling etc. Rumors going around he's going to be named Kentucky's new Defensive Coordinator and I know he's a pretty good position coach/recruiter but I'm wondering how he's thought of as a DC by Gopher fans.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Mason put most of his best athletes on offense so I think he did pretty well with what he had on the defensive side of the ball.

I know he was the Defensive Coordinator for a bit under Glenn Mason but I don't really remember much about his tenure. Anyone share any insight as to what kind of Coordinator he was in regards to scheme, tendencies, playcalling etc. Rumors going around he's going to be named Kentucky's new Defensive Coordinator and I know he's a pretty good position coach/recruiter but I'm wondering how he's thought of as a DC by Gopher fans.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I'd doubt anyone up here would call him a good recruiter.

It was rather weird but except for David Gibbs, Mason's Gopher fans blamed the D-Coordinators for all the problems the Gophers had. They gave up a LOT of points during the last couples of years under Mason. Very little or any blame went to Mason for his teams defensive liabilities. Corners and Safeties "kept the ball in front of them"under Lockwood. I remember screaming "turn around" but often they'd let the ball be caught and then make the tackle. Come to think of it that was a hallmark of the Defense during most off Mason's tenure. Maybe it was his philosophy not the various Coordinators.

Lehan though, became a good defender under his watch.

Not a lot of blitzing and the blitzes there were weren't very successful. Like most Gopher teams, not being able to get to the QB may have been the cause of their Defensive problems.

Top Bottom