Darius Taylor!

I wonder if Taylor can throw the ball at all? The Wildcat with him at QB and Nubin at tailback worked incredibly well against a MAC team. If Taylor could mix in a throw now and then against stacked boxes in short yardage, that play could be devastating next year. I'm already looking forward to next September.

Which in- season & after- season awards, records will he receive and or break? 2024 is looking better & better for Gopher fans. More Darius please.

Yea, this does deserve a new thread.

View attachment 29192

View attachment 29193
"Darius Taylor has started and finished 4 games:
- 33car, 193yds, 1TD, 2rec, 13yds
- 22car, 138yds, 1TD, 1rec, 25yds
- 31car, 198yds, 2TD, 3rec, 18yds
- 35car, 208yds, 1TD, 2rec, 11yds
30.3 carries/game, 184.3 yds/gm, 5 total TDs"

You guys know I'm a homer, but let's slow our roll and be careful of our data set here. These four games were against Eastern Michigan, North Carolina, Northwestern and Bowling Green. These are not exactly great rush defenses. In fact, North Carolina is ranked 88th and Northwestern 79th. The other two are G5 schools. PJ is known to pound the rock against lessor opponents and wear them down to the point where late in the game our backs are getting 10 yards per carry. That is not generally true when teams can compete with us or are better and their defenses stay fresh.

DT had 59 yards vs. Iowa and missed the games against most of the Big Ten including Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan and had one carry for three yards against Nebraska. I'm thinking those teams would have loaded up to stop the run and likely would have succeeded.

I'll never forget Mohamed Ibrahim running over, around and through Ohio State a few years ago so much so that if he doesn't get hurt, it was 50/50 that we win that game. DT is not there yet to my eyes. Yes, we had a better passing game then too, but I think we need to see a little more from DT before he gets into top historical Minnesota back territory. We also need to see how durable he is. Some guys have trouble staying healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about his prospects, but we are looking at relatively limited data at this point. Jordan Nubin had 200 plus yards against Michigan State where, once again, PJ pounded an opponent into submission. They are ranked 69th in rush defense for comparison. He didn't look so good against the big dogs in our conference.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/24/p2

Last edited:

I wonder if Taylor can throw the ball at all? The Wildcat with him at QB and Nubin at tailback worked incredibly well against a MAC team. If Taylor could mix in a throw now and then against stacked boxes in short yardage, that play could be devastating next year. I'm already looking forward to next September.
Just my opinion, but I would rather see him catch passes than run wildcat.

"Darius Taylor has started and finished 4 games:
- 33car, 193yds, 1TD, 2rec, 13yds
- 22car, 138yds, 1TD, 1rec, 25yds
- 31car, 198yds, 2TD, 3rec, 18yds
- 35car, 208yds, 1TD, 2rec, 11yds
30.3 carries/game, 184.3 yds/gm, 5 total TDs"

You guys know I'm a homer, but let's slow our roll and be careful of our data set here. These four games were against Eastern Michigan, North Carolina, Northwestern and Bowling Green. These are not exactly great rush defenses. In fact, North Carolina is ranked 88th and Northwestern 79th. The other two are G5 schools. PJ is known to pound the rock against lessor opponents and wear them down to the point where late in the game our backs are getting 10 yards per carry. That is not generally true when teams can compete with us or are better and their defenses stay fresh.

DT had 59 yards vs. Iowa and missed the games against most of the Big Ten including Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan and had one carry for three yards against Nebraska. I'm thinking those teams would have loaded up to stop the run and likely would have succeeded.

I'll never forget Mohamed Ibrahim running over, around and through Ohio State a few years ago so much so that if he doesn't get hurt, it was 50/50 that we win that game. DT is not there yet to my eyes. Yes, we had a better passing game then too, but I think we need to see a little more from DT before he gets into top historical Minnesota back territory. We also need to see how durable he is. Some guys have trouble staying healthy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about his prospects, but we are looking at relatively limited data at this point. Jordan Nubin had 200 plus yards against Michigan State where, once again, PJ pounded an opponent into submission. He didn't look so good against the big dogs in our conference.
Yep, great post.

And this is why he didn't get major six figure NIL offers to leave. Teams need to see more, first. Finish more games healthy and against better teams.

Yep, great post.

And this is why he didn't get major six figure NIL offers to leave. Teams need to see more, first. Finish more games healthy and against better teams.
How do you know he got NIL offers he was never in the portal so he shouldn’t have.

Yep, great post.

Check out average yards per carry vs. Bowling Green. Food for thought:)

1703888243991.png

It's tough when you don't want to upset your anointed starter in AK. I know that isn't an easy position to be in especially with the transfer portal nowadays, but it might have been fun to see a little more of a rotation between AK and Cole this year. The threat of Cole's legs would have been one more thing for teams to worry about.

Yep, great post.

U are so stupid with the whole NIL thing. Either have a ton of money and check your accounts every day and balance them to the penny or more likely you’re lacking same and are hyper focused on money money money.

he was never in the portal so he shouldn’t have.
no-country-for-old-men-4.jpg

Yep, great post.

I think it was said that his grandmother, who raised him, played a big part in him staying. That and I believe him when he says he likes it here.

If he’s as good as most people think, we will be extremely lucky to see him 2 more years. I mean NFL not portal.
Rick Upchurch and Larry Powell were great back in the day. Rarely on TV but great highlights.

If he’s as good as most people think, we will be extremely lucky to see him 2 more years. I mean NFL not portal.
Rick Upchurch and Larry Powell were great back in the day. Rarely on TV but great highlights.
As I've said before, I just want one more year.

Nothing is guaranteed in football. You're not necessarily guaranteed to even make it to be a free-agent and really cash in.

If he's offered a mega NIL payday after the 2024 season, I will wish him godspeed and send him an Uber to the airport. Take it. Buy your grandmother a new house.

The NFL only drafts players who have been out of highschool for three years. So it's very likely we will see him the next two years unless he decides to enter the portal.

Top Bottom