Darius Taylor was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Taylor Tabbed Big Ten Freshman of the Week

University of Minnesota running back Darius Taylor was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week today after a dominant performance against Eastern Michigan.

Taylor, who is a true freshman, rushed 33 times for 193 yards and one touchdown in Minnesota’s 25-6 win. He had one carry in the season-opener against Nebraska and then carried the ball 33 times against the Eagles.

His 193 yards were second most in school history for a true freshman, behind only Darrell Thompson who rushed for 205 yards against Bowling Green in 1986. Taylor rushed eight times for 44 yards in the first half before logging 25 carries for 149 yards in the second half. His lone touchdown of the game was a two-yard burst in the second quarter.

He had six runs of 10 yards or more, which included scampers of 22 yards and 21 yards in the third quarter. He added 13 receiving yards to finish the game with 206 all‐purpose yards.

Taylor's 193 rushing yards were the second most in the nation in Week 2 (and the most in an non-overtime game) as only North Carolina's Omarion Hampton had more yards with 234 in a double overtime win against Appalachian State.

Taylor is Minnesota’s first Big Ten Freshman of the Week since quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis received the honor on Nov. 28, 2022.

Minnesota’s Big Ten Football Players of the Week
Sept. 11

Darius Taylor (Freshman)

Sept. 5
Dragan Kesich (Special Teams)
Tyler Nubin (Defensive)

He is completely deserving of this.

To appreciate the full import of this, see my posts in "Is AK's play a concern?"

he has got to have NC changing their gameplan as we speak

He’s really good, Not not sure he has the top end speed I thought he did? Too small a sample size yet to tell. We need explosive plays out of the running and passing game if we are ever going to take the next step to an elite program.

DT is a talented RB. He showed great patience and vision for finding holes. He is special.

DT's on the field talent is no secret but let me tell you what he's like off the field... Dude is awesome. We are in a group in a class and if it wasn't for the athlete backpack and name tag that say's "Darius Taylor" then you would think he's just another guy in class with high energy. Anytime there was an awkward silence he'd ask the group questions about their background or say something funny. And when our table got called on and someone answered the question he would hype them up. This comment has nothing to do with football but thought some would like to know this guy seems bought in at Minnesota and is definitely a locker room guy.

DT's on the field talent is no secret but let me tell you what he's like off the field... Dude is awesome. We are in a group in a class and if it wasn't for the athlete backpack and name tag that say's "Darius Taylor" then you would think he's just another guy in class with high energy. Anytime there was an awkward silence he'd ask the group questions about their background or say something funny. And when our table got called on and someone answered the question he would hype them up. This comment has nothing to do with football but thought some would like to know this guy seems bought in at Minnesota and is definitely a locker room guy.
Makes me feel better about him staying after he tears it up this season!

Kudos to PJ Fleck for playing true Freshmen who are ready. I wonder if we will be hearing from Greg Johnson more before the end of the season.

Top Bottom