Daniel Jackson is going to break out

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
I think Daniel Jackson is positioned to break out as WR1. He is a junior now who played his first two years in Sanford’s offense. I’ll be honest, I thought he was just an ok receiver coming into the year. Now I think he was misused the last two years.

For some reason, DJ was constantly the deep ball target under Sanford despite the fact that he’s not a burner and is only 6’ tall. What I noticed in the last two games is that he is actually a very good route runner. This is particularly noticeable in his 2nd TD against MSU. He absolutely sells the over the shoulder fade to the DB before immediately breaking to the pylon for an easy TD. After seeing him operate in Kirk’s offense, I have renewed faith in DJ, and I think he will finish the season with the most yards and/or TDs in the WR room.

I think Daniel Jackson is positioned to break out as WR1. He is a junior now who played his first two years in Sanford’s offense. I’ll be honest, I thought he was just an ok receiver coming into the year. Now I think he was misused the last two years.

For some reason, DJ was constantly the deep ball target under Sanford despite the fact that he’s not a burner and is only 6’ tall. What I noticed in the last two games is that he is actually a very good route runner. This is particularly noticeable in his 2nd TD against MSU. He absolutely sells the over the shoulder fade to the DB before immediately breaking to the pylon for an easy TD. After seeing him operate in Kirk’s offense, I have renewed faith in DJ, and I think he will finish the season with the most yards and/or TDs in the WR room.
Certainly looks like he's going to play the CrAB role as X (outside) WR now. We saw him run a couple RPO slants, get a 50/50 deep ball in the endzone, and get schemed into another 1:1 iso route in the endzone which he won easily. All things CrAB was doing. I think he got one of the tunnel screens too, didn't he (don't recall that one exactly)? Anyway, excited to see this former 4* recruit perhaps finally break out.

Certainly looks like he's going to play the CrAB role as X (outside) WR now. We saw him run a couple RPO slants, get a 50/50 deep ball in the endzone, and get schemed into another 1:1 iso route in the endzone which he won easily. All things CrAB was doing. I think he got one of the tunnel screens too, didn't he (don't recall that one exactly)? Anyway, excited to see this former 4* recruit perhaps finally break out.
Yes, he ran a tunnel screen and cut back nicely running with the ball. Looked like Crab.

I've been a huge skeptic of his over the last year or so, but if Saturday is any indication, I may be happily eating a lot of crow this year. Both of his touchdowns were extremely impressive.

He had a couple nice catches. He and Wright and Brown-Stephens are a good solid group.

I agree with Matt’s view that he is a good route runner without top end speed. He also creates clear separation, something not all of our receivers seem to do. I honestly thought he was faster, and he may be because it looked like we was very methodical in his running to stay under control, which is a good trait to have in traffic.

Might want to try these:

818y9atp-ZL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, he had a couple of routes that looked a lot like our 2019 WRs (especially that second TD), where he just sliced and diced the CB. MBS is more of a burner, but DJ is really quick in and out of his cuts.

Look at his body compared to when he got here... He is built. He just needs to stay healthy and needs the opportunities. Actually, all our receivers can catch. A good problem to have.

Top Bottom