Dane Mizutani: Why does Jerry Kill hate P.J. Fleck? Because the Gophers are better in every way

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dane:

Not only has Fleck cleaned up the program in the years that have followed, he’s done so without disparaging Kill’s name in the process, taking the high road at every turn. He doesn’t need to do that, especially with Kill still spewing nonsense to anyone who will listen.

In reality, Fleck has said everything he needs to say by taking the Gophers program to new heights.

He boasts a 35-23 record in Minnesota, including a perfect 3-0 record in bowl games. In comparison, Kill was 29-29 with the Gophers and has never won a bowl game. The 2019 team went 11-2, beating then-No. 4 Penn State at home to improve to 9-0 and later Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

As for the game on Thursday night, Kill has continued to run his mouth in the build up, noting how he doesn’t know if he will shake Fleck’s hand. No surprise coming from a guy who’s still living in the past.

Here’s hoping Fleck runs up the score.

Go Gophers!!

This is now the 6th year of P.J.'s program. I am absolutely excited for this year. For one of the first times in my lifetime, I think we can legitimately be called a threat to play at Indianapolis at the end of the year, or even "favored" to play for the Chanmpionship at Indianapolis. I am very glad P.J. is our coach, and am happy he has chosen (at least for public consumption) to take the high road and not get into a *Pi$$%ng* match with Jerry Kill. I for one will be glad to put the New Mexico State game behind us and get this season underway. Ski-u-mah!

Wow, that was a mess of an "article." Dane has gone full lap dog. Like others have said, will be glad to put this in the rear view.

This is now the 6th year of P.J.'s program. I am absolutely excited for this year. For one of the first times in my lifetime, I think we can legitimately be called a threat to play at Indianapolis at the end of the year, or even "favored" to play for the Chanmpionship at Indianapolis. I am very glad P.J. is our coach, and am happy he has chosen (at least for public consumption) to take the high road and not get into a *Pi$$%ng* match with Jerry Kill. I for one will be glad to put the New Mexico State game behind us and get this season underway. Ski-u-mah!
Agree....need this one to be a drama free butt whooping....and then we can hopefully not hear anything about Kill until he takes his next job after the season wherever that may end up being.

I think that's part of it, but the real source is that Jerry wishes / knows he shouldn't have quit ... and then overplayed his hand to get a side job with the U that would let him get back into coaching.

But yeah the rest just built up other issues.

Amen.

PJ played this perfectly, no need to bicker with the bitter old guy living in the past. RTB

the "bitter old guy" came in to MN and made the program respectable again after the Tim Brewster clown show.

for the first time in years, the Gophers actually put good defensive teams on the field.

I feel sorry for Kill, but I don't hate him.

Attacking Kill does not make Fleck a better coach. Attacking Fleck does not make Kill a better coach.

it's a pointless exercise.

the "bitter old guy" came in to MN and made the program respectable again after the Tim Brewster clown show.

for the first time in years, the Gophers actually put good defensive teams on the field.

Attacking Kill does not make Fleck a better coach. Attacking Fleck does not make Kill a better coach.

Well said and should finish this thread and the Kill talk. He did really good things here and set up for the next coach. End of story.

I agree with this. Kill was/is a good coach that has an unfortunate ailment that ended his dream job. Tough pill to swallow. But he laid the groundwork for Fleck to come and give this program the next push.

I don't hate or even dislike Kill. I hope he does well at NMSU. But please....stop with the sour grapes. Nobody did him wrong. And he has to realize that no power five team would let him simply pick a successor. That's not how it works.

I agree with this. Kill was/is a good coach that has an unfortunate ailment that ended his dream job. Tough pill to swallow. But he laid the groundwork for Fleck to come and give this program the next push.

I don't hate or even dislike Kill. I hope he does well at NMSU. But please....stop with the sour grapes. Nobody did him wrong. And he has to realize that no power five team would let him simply pick a successor. That's not how it works.
It is really that simple, I wish Jerry could see this.

If it did, jerry would be Nick Saban

It is really that simple, I wish Jerry could see this.

It's silly that he can't. And I was one of the people pulling for Clayes to get a shot. But in hindsight....we absolutely made the right move (duh). Claeys is a good coach....but he was always in Kill's shadow. Never had any real head coaching experience.....and who knows if Kill ever gave him any of the responsibilities that would be expected of a head coach. For example....watching him struggle through a media session was difficult. It's like he rarely spoke to the media. That's partly on Kill for not giving the guy some experience in the chance that he ever took the reigns of his own team. He looked woefully unprepared to be the lead guy. And at a power five school no less.

Well said

Top Bottom