Damian Johnson: "I'm so glad we beat Wisconsin...It doesn't matter where the recruits are from it's about fit"

Great player and an excellent ambassador for the program. DJ gave 100% effort on every possession, which is why he's one of my favourite Gophers of all time. Despite being born in Louisiana....he hates Wisconsin too.

Will always be one of my all-time favorite Gophers. Miss watching DJ in maroon & gold.

I'm younger than some in here but to me Damian/Trevor/Daniel are the blueprint for kids we want and who we need around this program. Did it the right way, helps they are local guys, LOVE the U, are always present and positive. They arent big names nationally no, but I think they carry weight with some local kids and means something when they talk. **Edit-- I would add Andre Hollins to that list, not from MN but clearly enjoyed it here and still a big supporter and giving a good spin on the school**

This is part of why I have some positive vibes Oturu returns, that kid LOVES going to school here, sure its part of his journey to the NBA but its appears to be more than that to him.

I'm younger than some in here but to me Damian/Trevor/Daniel are the blueprint for kids we want and who we need around this program. Did it the right way, helps they are local guys, LOVE the U, are always present and positive. They arent big names nationally no, but I think they carry weight with some local kids and means something when they talk. **Edit-- I would add Andre Hollins to that list, not from MN but clearly enjoyed it here and still a big supporter and giving a good spin on the school**

This is part of why I have some positive vibes Oturu returns, that kid LOVES going to school here, sure its part of his journey to the NBA but its appears to be more than that to him.
Damian is from Louisiana my man

Too bad he does not coach at on of the local high school basketball prospect factories

Love his comment that it does not matter where players come from !

Ihnen looks to me like he is going to be good, Carr and Oturu were the best players on the court, I'd take the Gophers in a second over the Badgers, with the improvement we are seeing it appears the Gophers are on the upswing.

Hadn’t seen that but glad to hear and I’m not surprised!
Can't find the article right now, but by "nice things" I'm talking about much more than just on the court, also in class and outside of school. For example, he put out a call a while back for people to donate funds so all the players could wear dress shirts and ties to class on game days.

Trevor Mbakwe chose Marquette over the Gophers out of high school and had legal issues for the majority of his Gopher career. I wouldn’t quite call that the blueprint of a Gopher career or the ideal ambassador to the program.

DJ, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorite Gophers.

Trevor Mbakwe chose Marquette over the Gophers out of high school and had legal issues for the majority of his Gopher career. I wouldn’t quite call that the blueprint of a Gopher career or the ideal ambassador to the program.

Was about to post the same thing. Maybe he was talking about Trevor
Winter- a great guy

Mbakwe had odd legal issues. He always claimed innocence, was never convicted of anything, and the fact that he has had no further issues makes me give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mbakwe seems like a good guy, but going to Marquette is a major dis qualifier from being Gopher hoops ambassador for the Tubby Smith era. Maybe a Rodney Williams dunk compilation would fulfill the duties.

I like Damian, but I saw him coach a couple weeks back and he has a bit of Elliot Eliason in him when it comes to whining to the refs. His kids do play hard and they were disciplined to close out a game.
That game, however, made me wonder why in the name of Naismith Minnesota doesn't have a shot clock at the high school level. We gotta get that changed. Let it be a 35 second clock, but d@mn don't let a team take the air out of the ball.

I like Damian, but I saw him coach a couple weeks back and he has a bit of Elliot Eliason in him when it comes to whining to the refs. His kids do play hard and they were disciplined to close out a game.
That game, however, made me wonder why in the name of Naismith Minnesota doesn't have a shot clock at the high school level. We gotta get that changed. Let it be a 35 second clock, but d@mn don't let a team take the air out of the ball.

At least for 3A and 4A. Most of those teams play like there is a shot clock anyways.

Too bad he does not coach at on of the local high school basketball prospect factories
Maybe he's above that.
Maybe he wants to play fair and develop guys instead of deal with idiots with parents that move them around to make them look good.

Top Bottom