Damarion Watson

Must not be much of a secret, as he's got offers from Florida, Iowa State, Iowa etc.

Totino-Grace has quite a cache of talent this upcoming winter as two of the best 2023 prospects (Taison Chatman and CJ O'Hare) are both there too.
I guess they got the Bishop to decree that Minnehaha had to share whatever "program" they used to go from 0 to 11 on the "high school sports powerhouse" knob.

Why did he leave Minnehaha?
If you're referring to my comment, then to clarify I wasn't saying he did.

I was saying, seems like T-G has not really been a bball power program lately? I mainly think of them as football powerhouse.

Last edited:

He did leave Minnehaha, he was there last year. Probably didn't want to fight for playing time with Aligbe and the others there.

If you're referring to my comment, then to clarify I wasn't saying he did.

I was saying, seems like T-G has not really been a bball power program lately? I mainly think of them as football powerhouse.

He did leave though.

Ok.

My comment about T-G suddenly becoming a powerhouse in bball, seemingly from nothing, which is seemingly the same thing that happened at Minnehaha, was not purely in regards to Watson. It was (also) in regards to the comment Totino-Grace has quite a cache of talent this upcoming winter as two of the best 2023 prospects (Taison Chatman and CJ O'Hare) are both there too.

Ok.

My comment about T-G suddenly becoming a powerhouse in bball, seemingly from nothing, which is seemingly the same thing that happened at Minnehaha, was not purely in regards to Watson. It was (also) in regards to the comment Totino-Grace has quite a cache of talent this upcoming winter as two of the best 2023 prospects (Taison Chatman and CJ O'Hare) are both there too.

TG's assentation is solely on their new coach. He's extremely connected in the AAU scene because of his ownership in Prep Hoops.

TG's assentation is solely on their new coach. He's extremely connected in the AAU scene because of his ownership in Prep Hoops.
Similar story for Minnehaha, right?

So the thing is, you get some rich boosters to buy off a club coach and tell him to bring his star players to the new school?

Seems kinda lame to me. Privates need to play amongst themselves.

Similar story for Minnehaha, right?

So the thing is, you get some rich boosters to buy off a club coach and tell him to bring his star players to the new school?

Seems kinda lame to me. Privates need to play amongst themselves.

Yeah that's a huge can of worms opened right there, but yeah or at least bump up or play AAAA. Then again many said rightfully so that Patrick Henry should've done that in the early 2000's. I don't have the right solution besides kids should do what is best for them. I don't necessarily think that includes playing for Minnehaha or TG or Hopkins sometimes.

It would be interesting to see why Watson transferred, but I do guess it had to do with a logjam at the wing for Haha

The way it's supposed to work is, each class of kids grows up with each other in the district and/or in the feeder schools your private is affiliated with. And you play with who you have, for better or worse. That's how it should be, for school teams, in my opinion.

But schools nowadays look at that like "You're kidding, right? GTF outta here."

Club teams is one thing, but school teams are acting like free agency. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Absolutely true. Not received well by families and players who have been there for a while.
Right??

"Sorry Johnny. I know you've been in Grace's feeder system your whole life, paying private Catholic tuition every year. You've worked hard in school and to develop yourself on the court as a player, and were slated to be a starter this year. However, Jeffery over there, who has never gone to private school, let alone paid tuition at our school or any of our feeders, is just much more talented than you. He's transferring in with the new coach, and will be taking over your spot. Go in peace."

The way it's supposed to work is, each class of kids grows up with each other in the district and/or in the feeder schools your private is affiliated with. And you play with who you have, for better or worse. That's how it should be, for school teams, in my opinion.

But schools nowadays look at that like "You're kidding, right? GTF outta here."

Club teams is one thing, but school teams are acting like free agency. That just doesn't sit well with me.

It's college reality dripping down to high school. I wonder how many who protest restrictions on transfers in college would oppose them in high school. The culture has created elite prep systems for high school basketball, and some schools become the "magnet" or "charter" with a basketball focus. Not a great idea from my chair, but it is the house we've built. If it will help a kid develop into a pro player by going to a school out of his neighborhood, it's hard to argue in today's accepted norms.

Do private schools give tuition scholarships to minority athletes.?

Not directly, no. I can only speak for Cretin and I graduated almost 20 years ago now.

However, these private schools have extensive tuition assistance programs for all of their students. I was a white kid who didn't come from money and this paid for a large chunk of my schooling. There are also a large number of scholarships available. You could get these scholarships for a number of ways (ROTC, essays, members of certain clubs, etc.). However, they really weren't tied to sports.

I think the point you're getting at is how are these schools flooded with a bunch of good athletes who (at least some of them) likely could not afford the school? I think this happens more in the admissions process than with scholarships. How people get accepted to CDH is a little cloak and dagger, but it's clear a few things outside of academic achievement help - (1) alumni relation; (2) athletic ability; (3) diversity; (4) grade schools (this is often tied to the alumni relation).

I went to Holy Rosary from 1-8 grade in the 60's. Anyone who wanted to then could go to De La Salle for free if they had no money. I don't know how many could not pay but lots of us boy went to "D".

100% yes, some do. Like Bob said, it may be disguised. The coach has a lot to do with it. It is more the coach networking than the school itself directing it in most cases. Some do not. Again, like Bob said it's not just sports related...schools give kids opportunities for different reasons. Smart kids, to kids in a bad environment, to athletically talented kids, to musically talented etc.. Different at each school and each administration.

100% yes, some do. Like Bob said, it may be disguised. The coach has a lot to do with it. It is more the coach networking than the school itself directing it in most cases. Some do not. Again, like Bob said it's not just sports related...schools give kids opportunities for different reasons. Smart kids, to kids in a bad environment, to athletically talented kids, to musically talented etc.. Different at each school and each administration.
Exactly. While our grandsons went to Breck for over 30,000 dollars each per year they had certain hockey players at free tuition. Those players were instrumental in winning state championships. They also gave scholarships to these wonderfully gifted Russian kids we made friends with. Turns out they were math genuises and musical prodigies. In the larger picture they used their vast resources to increase diversity.

Top Bottom