Dallas police officer convicted of murder

MnplsGopher

Your fault for not understanding it.

You won't/can't allow yourself to get it, that's not my problem.

Not seeing why this needs to continue any further.

bottlebass

Main Member
Your fault for not understanding it.

You won't/can't allow yourself to get it, that's not my problem.

Not seeing why this needs to continue any further.
You should maybe read some facts from the case, read her testimony then get back to me. You obviously don't understand.

GoodasGold

Nope. There is a difference between 2nd degree murder and voluntary manslaughter.

Her's was the latter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(United_States_law)#Degrees

Note that "intent to kill" means *prior* intent to kill. That is correct. She's talking about in the moment (ie, she wasn't aiming for his leg, or something like that). You don't understand the difference and are conflating the two separate meanings.
Lemmesee now...an overworked, sexually frustrated/aroused female with a loaded weapon illegally enters a person’s home(castle); finds him eating ice cream; becomes terribly afraid so then shoots him dead. Call it what you will, but that just ain’t right mate!:(

MnplsGopher

Lemmesee now...an overworked, sexually frustrated/aroused female with a loaded weapon illegally enters a person’s home(castle); finds him eating ice cream; becomes terribly afraid so then shoots him dead. Call it what you will, but that just ain’t right mate!:(
Correct, that is terrible.

Voluntary manslaughter is a terrible offense, and can (and should) be punished with prison time.

stocker08

I think he was in his own apartment. Just sort of minding his own business.
I know that he was in his own apartment. A lot of people are questioning the murder charge. Sure....premeditation is certainly a factor....but if the guy made no threatening actions towards her and she simply saw him and started shooting....I don't see how you could call it anything other than murder.

bottlebass

Main Member
I know that he was in his own apartment. A lot of people are questioning the murder charge. Sure....premeditation is certainly a factor....but if the guy made no threatening actions towards her and she simply saw him and started shooting....I don't see how you could call it anything other than murder.
He was sitting on his couch, watching TV and eating ice cream.

MnplsGopher

Well, a lot of people have thought about this for a long time. The laws we have around these situations are indeed quite a bit more nuanced than what you express here.

Would encourage you to understand the difference between the four levels of homicide: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide

stocker08

He was sitting on his couch, watching TV and eating ice cream.
Hmmm....then maybe I'm missing something....because trained police officer or not....walking into someone else's apartment and not realizing that it's not your own....and then opening fire and killing someone that is offering you little threat screams murder to me.

MnplsGopher

Hmmm....then maybe I'm missing something....because trained police officer or not....walking into someone else's apartment and not realizing that it's not your own....and then opening fire and killing someone that is offering you little threat screams murder to me.
Well, you probably think it’s murder when a person who is texting while driving runs over and kills a person that was minding their own business.

Each person is going to think how they want to think, regardless of our standard definitions.

stocker08

Well, a lot of people have thought about this for a long time. The laws we have around these situations are indeed quite a bit more nuanced than what you express here.

Would encourage you to understand the difference between the four levels of homicide: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide
Well....the way that she went in gung-ho and immediately shot someone in their own apartment....someone who was of little to no threat certainly suggests that premeditation may have been on the table. And even if not.....it certainly fits the bill for second-degree.

stocker08

Well, you probably think it’s murder when a person who is texting while driving runs over and kills a person that was minding their own business.

Each person is going to think how they want to think, regardless of our standard definitions.
I don't see how the situation you present has 'intentional' killing anywhere to be found.

Fail.

MnplsGopher

Well....the way that she went in gung-ho and immediately shot someone in their own apartment....someone who was of little to no threat certainly suggests that premeditation may have been on the table. And even if not.....it certainly fits the bill for second-degree.
Only if you can prove prior intent. She never indicated that in her testimony (bass will say she did, but it’s because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about).

MnplsGopher

I don't see how the situation you present has 'intentional' killing anywhere to be found.

Fail.
Correct, it would be involuntary manslaughter.

The difference between 2nd degree murder and voluntary manslaughter is difficult to understand for you, I can see.

bottlebass

Main Member
Only if you can prove prior intent. She never indicated that in her testimony (bass will say she did, but it’s because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about).
THis is the THIRD time I've posted this, have you read it yet?

What is Murder in Texas?
Pursuant to Penal Code § 19.02(b)(1) there are three ways murder may be alleged. A person commits murder when:

The person intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;
The person intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act that causes the death of an individual;
or
The person causes the death of an individual during the commission or attempted commission of a felony.

Her testimony qualifies for 2 of those. There were many people criticizing her lawyer for letting her say that she intended to harm and kill him because she feared for her life. Under texas law murder is correct.

NONE OF THIS IS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND. If you would just take the time to look up what you are posting about the info is there.

bottlebass

Main Member

The difference between 2nd degree murder and voluntary manslaughter is difficult to understand for you, I can see.
In texas it's capital murder or murder. She stated she intended to harm and kill him = murder.

stocker08

Why would you bring up that example if it is not even close to relevant to this case? Accidentally killing someone by hitting them in a car because someone's on their phone vs. shooting someone in their apartment.

As for voluntary manslaughter vs second degree murder....it definitely smells like murder. There is no good defense to shooting someone posing no threat in their own apartment.

Sorry....but you are wrong.

Last edited: