Daily Skinny (Aug. 28)-Cory Joseph update, Big Ten in the '00s, funny stuff

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
This Cory Joseph update doesn’t look too promising; coupled with the fact that Trevor Releford has set two visits with Alabama and Oklahoma (and no one else), it appears the last shot at a premier point guard for the Gophers in 2010 will be Ray McCallum Jr., who the Gophers stepped into recruiting just recently:
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/26/doron-lamb-talks-recruiting/#more-21151

One thing we can learn from this Spartan fan’s blog is that the first decade of the 21st century was not a kind one to our favorite program:
http://www.theonlycolors.com/2009/8/26/1003150/are-we-sure-that-msu-is-the-big

Alright, since it’s Friday I’m going to send you to the weekend with a good laugh. I found this next blog post hilarious anyway; I have no problem with being optimistic about your team, but whatever credibility this guy could ever stake a claim to before can never be reclaimed. I would love to see this backcourt facing off against the backcourts of Villanova, Michigan State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and probably about twenty other teams this season and see how they measure up:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...best-in-the-country?ref=related-articles-body

Duke will win its 25-30 games, be vastly overrated, then not make it past the Sweet 16. But we know this. ... after the NCAA pratfall we'll be told it was one of Coach K's greatest coaching jobs ever!

Duke will win its 25-30 games, be vastly overrated, then not make it past the Sweet 16. But we know this. ... after the NCAA pratfall we'll be told it was one of Coach K's greatest coaching jobs ever!

It's funny how the media changes the criteria for greatness. When Wooden was coaching and winning titles it was championships. After Wooden retired they needed to latch onto someone else. So Dean Smith was the obvious choice right? Well..Deano had a problem. He couldn't win the damn thing so it became FF appearances.

Cut to a couple of years ago and Coach K is the new standard bearer. Well...K was having a hard time getting back to the Final Four so I heard various media members trot out "Sweet 16 appearances" as the new mark of greatness.

Is it just me, or is there some disappointment in the Joseph camp about how Devoe's frosh season panned out? His AAU coach seems really lukewarm to the idea of Cory coming here and there doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement about the program this time around.

Is it just me, or is there some disappointment in the Joseph camp about how Devoe's frosh season panned out? His AAU coach seems really lukewarm to the idea of Cory coming here and there doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement about the program this time around.

I've heard that Memphis is a real player for Joesph and that they're the "unofficial" leader.

Of course I've also heard the exact opposite and he's on the backburner until the Joe Jackson decision.

I've heard that Memphis is a real player for Joesph and that they're the "unofficial" leader.

Of course I've also heard the exact opposite and he's on the backburner until the Joe Jackson decision.

So program integrity won't be a deciding factor. I could understand an interest in Villanova, but Memphis and UConn?

One and Done

Wasn't Devoe sort of expecting to come to Minnesota and be a one and done before going to the NBA?

So program integrity won't be a deciding factor. I could understand an interest in Villanova, but Memphis and UConn?

UConn's recruiting both Brandon Knight and Josh Selby hard (some say that UConn is the fave for Selby at this point. Man is Bruce Pearl going to be pissed....) I have to wonder how "real" UConn's interest in Joesph is at this point.

I'm not up on UConn's scholly situation but there is a thought out there that Knight could (and will) play the 2 in College and I wonder if they would take a Knight/Selby and Joseph. Or is Joseph really just Option 2 or 3 after Knight/Selby.

It's just my perception, but I feel that thanks to ESPN's love affair with UConn and Calhoun they get a real pass and for some reason the NCAA arbitrarily turns a blind eye towards some programs. I bet there are some stories to tell there. If I were an independent, documentary filmmaker I would do the Khalid El-Amin story. I bet that guy has had an interesting life and especially his recruitment and college years would be a great story.

Calhoun is in the Hall of Fame. They don't put guys in there to be investigated and disgraced. Calhoun's had tournament wins vacated (in 95-96) before as well. Calhoun is probably also directly responsible for the end of the Athletes in Action/Nike Elite squads that used to play in exhibition games in the pre-season against D-1 teams.

Truth,
Could you elaborate on the Calhoun/Athletes in Action story? I'm curious, I haven't heard of this before and I wondered what happened to those stalwarts of the exhibition schedule.

I think Devoe will blossom at the "2" spot this year.

He may be a potential "1" at the next level but he's a natural "2" in college.

Nolen, Cobbs, and maybe Allen will share "1" for Gophers in 2010 season.

Calhoun is in the Hall of Fame. They don't put guys in there to be investigated and disgraced. Calhoun's had tournament wins vacated (in 95-96) before as well. Calhoun is probably also directly responsible for the end of the Athletes in Action/Nike Elite squads that used to play in exhibition games in the pre-season against D-1 teams.

Rupp and Wooden are HOFers. Both coached teams that cheated.

I never understood John Wooden being immortalized as the "Jimmy Stewart" of the NCAA and how golden his era at UCLA has been portrayed. How did Tarkanian and Kentucky get into the NCAA cross-hairs and others didn't? I bet if the Fab Five or the Eddie Sutton scandals hadn't been so blatant, they would have looked the other way to preserve those legacies.

I'm not defending Clem, but it was easy to slap and make an example Minnesota so the John Feinsteins could share how horrified they were that such a thing could happen- while reminding us that there is still a lot of good in the NCAA with Coach K and Roy Williams.

Is it reasonable to think that Allen will be a contributor? Assuming the Gophers qualify for a bowl game, he won't be able spend much time with the team or playing basketball until about the time the Big 10 season starts. Perhaps he could practice with both teams during the layoff before a bowl game?

I think Devoe will blossom at the "2" spot this year.

He may be a potential "1" at the next level but he's a natural "2" in college.

The mother's quote about Wright knowing how to use his guards seemed a bit cryptic as does Russell's omission of the Gophers as a player for Cory. Did they expect 30 mins and 15 pts and a Stephen Curry role as a frosh for Devoe?

Is it reasonable to think that Allen will be a contributor? Assuming the Gophers qualify for a bowl game, he won't be able spend much time with the team or playing basketball until about the time the Big 10 season starts. Perhaps he could practice with both teams during the layoff before a bowl game?

The non conference schedule won't be 4-0 this year, only one cream puff- SDSU. Allen will belong to Tubby on Nov. 22.

Truth,
Could you elaborate on the Calhoun/Athletes in Action story? I'm curious, I haven't heard of this before and I wondered what happened to those stalwarts of the exhibition schedule.

Gary Williams screamed bloody murder over Rudy Gay and UConn.

Here's a story that addressed the ruling itself, it's effects and touched on the Gay situation

http://collegehoopsnet.com/big12/kansas/111604.htm

and another from ESPN (see if you can find the lolz quote from Kelvin Sampson)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=1673114

Gary Williams also accused Jim Boheim of doing something similar in regards to Carmello Anthony a few years before.

Has he learned to shoot?
Devoe's 37.3% from 3 was better than every Badger except Jarmusz and Nankivil. (And Nankivil only shot 14 total.)

Yeah, he didn't exactly set the place on fire but don't pretend he was rotten.

He may contribute 5 minutes per game. But Nolen and Cobbs will get the lion's share of PG minutes.

From what I recall of Joseph's recruiting towards the end, it was pretty frantic-Texas made a very late push (supposedly) and almost snagged Devoe, but he ended up signing with us, obviously. A lot of the talk at that time was that Ro Russell and Tubby Smith aren't too friendly, certainly not back-scratching friends, and the push towards Texas was a Russell creation. The thought was that if Russell had any say in Cory Joseph's recruitment, he would steer him away from Tubby (going off of memory on previous posts).

I don't recall that conversation about Devoe J. thinking he was a one and done type player. I think it was obvious to anyone with an unbiased opinion that Devoe's body and game needs to develop before the pros are considered. Even being underrated, where Devoe came in on the prep rankings would take an incredible leap of faith to be able to leap to the NBA after a year.

I also haven't heard or read anything about Devoe J. being unhappy or dissatisfied with his role last season; if he was, why wouldn't he have transferred after the season?

I never saved the post about Devoe and I lack the means to go back and recover it. My interest in this forum is too casual for me to do anything but check my memory and write what I recall. At the time someone posted that Devoe was telling friends that he expected to go to the NBA after his freshman year. It ran contrary to what we all hoped and expected which is why I remember it.

He may contribute 5 minutes per game. But Nolen and Cobbs will get the lion's share of PG minutes.

FOT, not trying to be a d!ck, but are you as confident saying this as you were in saying that Nathan Garth would enroll at the semester and contribute? Joining a team after practice has already begun (presumably) after not having played much basketball in the months leading up to the season (again, presumably) is very difficult, especially for a freshman. I know Allen was a very good HS basketball player, but he ain't Ronald Curry.

FOT, not trying to be a d!ck, but are you as confident saying this as you were in saying that Nathan Garth would enroll at the semester and contribute? Joining a team after practice has already begun (presumably) after not having played much basketball in the months leading up to the season (again, presumably) is very difficult, especially for a freshman. I know Allen was a very good HS basketball player, but he ain't Ronald Curry.

Tubby played (even started) football players at Georgia. None was named Ronald Curry. And Georgia football often lasts until January.

Indeed Nate Garth would have contributed as third string PG in 2008 had he enrolled in December 2007.

Ditto Bryant Allen. Third string PG. PT < 5 minutes per game.

Tubby played (even started) football players at Georgia. None was named Ronald Curry. And Georgia football often lasts until January.

Indeed Nate Garth would have contributed as third string PG in 2008 had he enrolled in December 2007.

Ditto Bryant Allen. Third string PG. PT < 5 minutes per game.

Fair enough. I disagreed with you regarding Garth, and I will disagree regarding Allen. Benches shorten for the Big 10 season as games get tighter, 3rd string guys play very little. I will be surprised if Allen has any sort of impact on the upcoming season.

Fair enough. I disagreed with you regarding Garth, and I will disagree regarding Allen. Benches shorten for the Big 10 season as games get tighter, 3rd string guys play very little. I will be surprised if Allen has any sort of impact on the upcoming season.

No disagreement on Allen. You say Little Impact. I say PT < 5 Minutes. Same thing.

Top Bottom