Dabo is a bit crabby

The amount of money that all these coaches make is insane, Dabo isn't really much worse than anyone else in that regard. Dabo would rank #15 among Minnesota CEO's in total compensation. The closest comp is CEO of CH Robinson, a company with a revenue of around $20 billion.

The economics of college football are so weird. Correct me if I'm wrong, but schools aren't making money from football and then putting that money into the general fund. They are "making money" and then just spending it on facilities, coaches, and non-revenue sports. I know the winds of change are starting to happen with paying players. Will that reduce coach salaries? Will less be spent on facilities? Will it be the end of some non-revenue sports?

Would have been interesting to hear the caller's tone and question that set Dabo off.

I don't disagree with most of what he had to say but what he is saying is likely to fall on deaf ears. His mistake is listening to the loud minority of fans who are going to complain no matter what the coach does.

We see/saw it here to a lesser degree with the posters that wanted to see Fleck fired after the Northwestern game.

Saban had a similar fan rant that was also spot on but had no chance of reaching his intended target because the reality is there will always be those that go to the negative in every situation. And unfortunately they also tend to be the loudest voices in the room so they are tough to ignore even though they are in the extreme minority.

Can’t take the heat don’t take fan phone calls.
I think the Twins tried having Tom Kelly do a Q/A over the phone with fans on the pre-game show for a season or two. Most of it was pablum, but I remember one time a kid (and you could tell it was a kid) asked a really innocent question and Kelly just went off on him. Why the coaches do this, I will never know because any upside can instantly evaporate with one bad episode.

As for Dabo, the guy's a moron.

I think the Twins tried having Tom Kelly do a Q/A over the phone with fans on the pre-game show for a season or two. Most of it was pablum, but I remember one time a kid (and you could tell it was a kid) asked a really innocent question and Kelly just went off on him. Why the coaches do this, I will never know because any upside can instantly evaporate with one bad episode.

Yup.

I don't think PJ does it, I think he could handle it, but man why put yourself through that if you KNOW how it is going to be.

If I had to guess there is trouble in Dabo-land. Personal, financial. Who knows. Maybe he needs a sabbatical. That was a ridiculous rant. The feeling sorry for himself angle isn’t going to go over real well LOL. A reasonable, level-headed man of his stature would normally laugh it off, say “I’m blessed every day”, and say while we’re failing at our goals this year we’re going to keep chopping. My track record speaks for itself.

Then he did that…He was on the cusp of an epic “I’m 40!“ moment but didn’t quite get there. So close…

I also love that Clemson is sliding back into the mediocrity morass from whence they came.

I would listen hoping some caller would question TK about some move he made in a game. He'd start out recalling the situation (outs, men on base, score, left-handed or right-handed, etc.); then describe what happened; and then basically letting the caller know how stupid he was for questioning TK in that sarcastic tone he used. It was Minnesota passive-aggressive at its finest.:p

Nope. When you make $11 million a year in a highly public position, you take criticism and don't act like a petulant child.

Yep. He wouldn’t last a week in a public-facing retail or hospitality job. I can only imagine the temper tantrums after being scolded all day by Joe and Jane Public.

Crybaby. “I’m Successful!”

I would listen hoping some caller would question TK about some move he made in a game. He'd start out recalling the situation (outs, men on base, score, left-handed or right-handed, etc.); then describe what happened; and then basically letting the caller know how stupid he was for questioning TK in that sarcastic tone he used. It was Minnesota passive-aggressive at its finest.:p
Ya TK would go with the old "As you know" clearly letting the caller know they knew nothing. But of couse his style was to take it one idiot at a time.

Dabo needs to leave and come to the maroon and gold. I've heard we are a sleeping giant. Hes basically a PJ personality but can actually coach.

Dabo needs to leave and come to the maroon and gold. I've heard we are a sleeping giant. Hes basically a PJ personality but can actually coach.
Dabo is a great coach but him and PJ have way different personalities at least with the media. Dabo frequently puts his foot in his mouth whereas PJ is very calculated about not making controversial statements.

Is Dabo a great coach, or did he just "somehow" convince a bunch of really talented recruits to choose to go to a medium-sized Ag school in the middle of nowhere South Carolina?

(For those who don't know, despite the name Clemson is a public, Ag school. It's the same thing as North Dakota State. I am not joking.)

Is Dabo a great coach, or did he just "somehow" convince a bunch of really talented recruits to choose to go to a medium-sized Ag school in the middle of nowhere South Carolina?

(For those who don't know, despite the name Clemson is a public, Ag school. It's the same thing as North Dakota State. I am not joking.)
I think we've learned with college sports, the type and size of a college doesn't always matter a whole lot in relation to how good the teams are.

I think we've learned with college sports, the type and size of a college doesn't always matter a whole lot in relation to how good the teams are.
It’s the size of the envelope with player $$$ that matters.

People that complain about how much college coaches make shouldn't watch college football.

Top Bottom