Cy Hawk Game

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Iowa has gone an amazing 23 consecutive games without allowing 25 points. Excuse me for a minute while I sigh wistfully. I’ve a feeling that after the Iowa-Iowa State battle on Saturday, the streak could stand at 24 games, despite Iowa State’s supposedly high-octane offense.

I like what we did against the Ohio State defense; we lost to the Ohio State’s uber-talented offense. But the best defenses we will face this year are (1) Iowa and (2) Wisconsin. Whatever defensive system those two run, it is truly impressive, it is easy for the players to understand and execute, and it is replicable year after year.

Last edited:

Iowa has gone an amazing 23 consecutive games without allowing 25 points. Excuse me for a minute while I sigh wistfully. I’ve a feeling that after the Iowa-Iowa State battle on Saturday, the streak could stand at 24 games, despite Iowa State’s supposedly high-octane offense.

I like what we did against the Ohio State defense; we lost to the Ohio State’s uber-talented offense. But the best defenses we will this year are (1) Iowa and (2) Wisconsin. Whatever defensive system those two run, it is truly impressive, it is easy for the players to understand and execute, and it is replicable year after year.
Minnesota had them on ropes last year. IOAW's defense was a sieve against the, wait, newsflash. I'm wrong.

Iowa State might not break double digits tomorrow. Iowa +160 seems like good value if you can stomach rooting for the Hawkeyes.

ISU is the lesser of Iowa evils so will be cheering for them....

I don't watch Iowa games often. Every time I do they win the turnover battle. I often thought it was just the way the Gophers would let a game slip away against Iowa.

Iowa St may have been overrated. 26pts in 7 quarters.

I wish I'd had the balls to take the ML. Went large, so I took the +4.5

I don't watch Iowa games often. Every time I do they win the turnover battle. I often thought it was just the way the Gophers would let a game slip away against Iowa.

They get pressure on the QB. Most seasons. This has been perhaps the biggest consistent shortcoming of Gopher teams throughout my life. The two schools recruit the same pool of players but Iowa almost always ends up with a better defensive line.

They get pressure on the QB. Most seasons. This has been perhaps the biggest consistent shortcoming of Gopher teams throughout my life. The two schools recruit the same pool of players but Iowa almost always ends up with a better defensive line.
All those turnovers game after game can't be just lucky. Their defense forces a lot of them.

The back seven of Iowa might be the best back 7 in college football defense.

Very solid. Very good. The turnovers will continue each week because they are that good. It's not luck, it's a trend.

Iowa should probably be the top ranked Big Ten team after this week. They will be unbeaten when we travel there.

The back seven of Iowa might be the best back 7 in college football defense.

Very solid. Very good. The turnovers will continue each week because they are that good. It's not luck, it's a trend.

Iowa should probably be the top ranked Big Ten team after this week. They will be unbeaten when we travel there.
They will have 2 to 3 losses when we go there.

There offense is not much. They don't throw or run that well.

They will be in some close dogfights and win some and lose some.

to PSU and WI?

It will take a team to play mistake free to do it.

It will take a team to play mistake free to do it.
And some will is my thought.

This Is who they always are. They have 27 points today. They probably have 10 without all the turnovers. I haven't seen the whole game but I know one was a scoop up and walk in td.

Last edited:

Matt Campbell even sillier than Linquist was today. Coaches using pro metrics on college kickers. Efficiency numbers are grossly different and yet again it comes back to bite ISU when they had Iowa on the ropes defensively.

Iowa’s defense produces points each game. They will against the Gophers, too. Not if, just how many. Thus is why we need a high-octane offense that can score points in bunches. Because our defense can’t even think about scoring points. It is way too busy trying to simply defend against mediocre offenses.

Makes me wonder if Iowa State and Indiana season's last year were just flukes aided by the craziness of the pandemic
My Iowa friend got very very mad at me when I said the cyclones might suck. Impressive wins by Iowa but unimpressive performances back to back weeks by ISU

Iowa is for real. First game, against Indiana, Iowa gets three interceptions, two of which are pick sixes. Also a fumble recovery, I think. Second game, against Iowa State, Iowa gets three interceptions plus a scoop and score fumble. Iowa's offense piled up a massive 173 yards to Iowa State's 335 yards yet won decisively. This was Iowa's 24th consecutive game allowing less than 25 points. It is amazing how a highly-functioning defense can take the pressure off of an offense to "do everything." I like this year's Gopher team, but our develoment of defensive talent seems stunted. Our curious lack of a decently-performing front seven is the Achilles Heel that might sink us this year. If the sixth year seniors aren't getting it done on DL, maybe go young? We need something there desperately. We need to get a sack one of these games ...

I have watched both of their games —they are very much for real. If they get their offense going—and you can bet that they will —they will be very hard to beat —no matter what team they play

Top Bottom