curtis james?

MilesTarver

Reaction score
does anyone know the status of curtis james? i always thought it was cool that he decided to stay home and walk-on to the u. i was just checking on him on gophersports, and didn't see him on the roster. anyone know if he's transferring or did he already? if so, why? he seemed like a good kid from what i'd heard and read about him.

Confirmation

does anyone know the status of curtis james? i always thought it was cool that he decided to stay home and walk-on to the u. i was just checking on him on gophersports, and didn't see him on the roster. anyone know if he's transferring or did he already? if so, why? he seemed like a good kid from what i'd heard and read about him.

Unfortunately, Miles, I just spoke with Curtis and he will be transferring. He said:

I have left the team and am looking at places to transfer as of right now. I want to continue playing football, so I'm in the process of finding a new team.

I really wish him the best of luck, he is a top notch student, and turned down a scholarship offer at Air Force to play for his hometown school and walk-on. He's a great kid!

Curtis James rocks my world.

Curtis James is the man. He has signed his release papers with Gophers and is transferring to St. Thomas where he was originally recruited. After St. Thomas heard that James was planning on transferring, they asked him to play again.

it's too bad it didn't work out for him. he's just the kind of kid the U needs for a strong walk on program. I appreciate the fact that he gave it a go, St. Thomas is a great school. He's lucky to be going there.

I am also glad he gave it a go. I would rather have a kid give it a shot and decide from there. Can't find that diamond in the rough if they never give it a try. Kudos to James.

I agree. Kudos to James. Wish we could have convinced him to hang on at the U of M, but I have to respect his wishes for how he wants his college experience to unfold.

Some more details

I got to speak with Curtis at length tonight he filled me in on why he was leaving. He was so positive about the Gopher and his experience here, and had no regrets about walking on. He loves the Gophers and will continue to support and watch the team, but thinks that not playing D1 football is better for him. As Gopherlove said, he will be going to St. Thomas, and is very excited about being able to play.

His decision became final after the change is style of offense, simply because he was used to the spread.

Curtis is nothing but class, he did not have a bad word to say about the Gophers, just that D1 wasn't the right fit for him.

Edit - I almost forgot one other detail about Curtis. Out of High School, he had about a 4.0, and earned at 3.5 GPA here at the U, so academic scholarships are certainly not out of the question for him moving forward.

Good for him. I hope he becomes a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

I wonder if we couldn't do a better job somehow of keeping track of the Minn kids and there progress while they're on the team. Maybe a little love and appreciation might make them feel a little better in their roles deep on the depth chart. It has to be tough being a top athlete for your school and then having to battle just to get to ride the bus. I wonder what we could do.

Top Bottom