Curry blows out knee again???

If Curry is out for another full season, then finally gets healthy, and then chooses to max out his eligibility, he seems like a clear case for being given a 6th year. His case certainly would be stronger than Davonte Fitzzgerald's, who was granted a 6th year after his transfer (from Texas A&M) & more injury problems with the Gophers.

Curry
2016-17 Played
2017-18 Injury redshirt
2018-19 Played briefly, then got hurt again
2019-20 Injury redshirt?

That looks like a guy who should get to play in both 2020-21 and 2021-22, if he so chooses.

Correct.

You can apply for what is called a “Hardship Waiver”, in certain cases. That extends your eligibility clock from five calendar years to six.

So he’d have six calendar years to participate in four seasons (and he has participated in two seasons already).

Another aspect to think about is, in six years he could EASILY have a masters degree completely paid for and finished. That would be pretty nice.

Last edited:

Feel really bad for the kid.

I think though, what is best for him would be to just hang it up. His knees just can't take it. Not worth having to hobble around everywhere you go from age 30-on.

Too bad, he had such a high ceiling after his freshman year.

How many surgeries/rehabs has Shannon Brooks done? He's back, and playing again this year.

Just saying, if you're willing to do it, it can be done.

Brooks is only on his 5th year, a little different, but he's had few injuries over the years

Brooks is only on his 5th year, a little different, but he's had few injuries over the years

I was merely pointing out an example of someone who had gone through multiple major knee injuries needing surgery and still decided to come back to play.

I was merely pointing out an example of someone who had gone through multiple major knee injuries needing surgery and still decided to come back to play.

Curry himself has gone through multiple injuries and decided to come back and play. Let’s not assume that he needs any role model. It is just a matter if we wants to go through it a third time or not. No one could blame him, we all feel for his misfortune and will support what ever he decides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff Goodman says he hears he did indeed blow out the ACL in the other knee. Man that sucks.

Jeff Goodman says he hears he did indeed blow out the ACL in the other knee. Man that sucks.
Man I feel so bad for the kid. To essentially have your career completely taken away for reasons that are out of your control before it even got started is just terrible.

Assuming he can get somewhat healthy I hope he can at least make back into the court no matter how limited he becomes

Man I feel so bad for the kid. To essentially have your career completely taken away for reasons that are out of your control before it even got started is just terrible.

Assuming he can get somewhat healthy I hope he can at least make back into the court no matter how limited he becomes

Curry had already lost explosiveness because of the previous injury and it is very hard to envision him returning next year/post-graduation. Not impossible, but seems highly unlikely.

A question: If he gets a 6th year, do we get 14 scholarships that year? If not, isn't he our only current junior? (I forget which class Willis is in).

A question: If he gets a 6th year, do we get 14 scholarships that year? If not, isn't he our only current junior? (I forget which class Willis is in).

Not exactly sure what you’re asking, but getting a hardship waiver doesn’t grant the team an extra scholarship for a season. The cap is the cap.

Would love to see him play again, but Damian's prediction is possible if not likely. With how rocky his recovery from the first injury was, no telling how physically capable he'll be when all is said and done. Great kid, and if he's another Jarvis Johnson with the program, he'll still contribute in big ways.

Crap! Feel so bad for him. Robert Covington of the Timberwolves revealed recently how depressed he was over his injury last year and how tough it was not to be doing something he loved. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to go through it a second time. Good luck, Eric, whatever you decide to do.

Not so fast, there's been some chatter with former teammates on Instagram that the injury isn't as bad as originally believed.

His mother is pretty active on Twitter and from what it sounds like, there will be surgery but there's a chance he could play this season. Local media day is Friday, so we'll know more then. But apparently the second opinion must have come out with better results.

Not so fast, there's been some chatter with former teammates on Instagram that the injury isn't as bad as originally believed.

His mother is pretty active on Twitter and from what it sounds like, there will be surgery but there's a chance he could play this season. Local media day is Friday, so we'll know more then. But apparently the second opinion must have come out with better results.

Didn't someone confirm it was ACL? Was it maybe a partial tear?

Shame if this ends up being another bad injury for him. Happens sometimes where players are just injury prone. Kid has a lot of talent but health looks like it is going to derail his career.

Didn't someone confirm it was ACL? Was it maybe a partial tear?

Someone did but that someone wasn't Curry and I don't think it was anyone with the U either so take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard Barreiro and Gaard talking about it. Same story - they "heard" it was an ACL, but it all seems to be second- and third-hand information.

Here is the official press release:

Curry Suffers Season-Ending Knee Injury

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday that redshirt junior forward Eric Curry (Memphis, Tenn./Southwest Christian Academy) suffered a season-ending knee injury in practice last week.

“We are obviously disappointed in Eric’s recent setback,” Pitino said. “He has worked so hard and stayed positive throughout this whole process. He is still a valuable member and leader on this team. I can’t wait to get him back, better than ever next year.”

Curry will undergo surgery next week and will miss the upcoming 2019-20 season.

Mom says damn no, he ain't quitting!

She's a good follow, by the way.

Here is the official press release:

Curry Suffers Season-Ending Knee Injury

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday that redshirt junior forward Eric Curry (Memphis, Tenn./Southwest Christian Academy) suffered a season-ending knee injury in practice last week.

“We are obviously disappointed in Eric’s recent setback,” Pitino said. “He has worked so hard and stayed positive throughout this whole process. He is still a valuable member and leader on this team. I can’t wait to get him back, better than ever next year.”

Curry will undergo surgery next week and will miss the upcoming 2019-20 season.

Are we sure its an ACL? Maybe the second opinion/delay is reflective of a reparable meniscus injury instead. Hope so, as this would be a better outcome for him.

The Strib said it was an ACL, so I think that is reasonably official. if it was just a meniscus, they could do arthroscopy and he could be back before the end of the season. but, when they come out and say "season-ending" injury, that means surgery and a lengthy rehab.

Mom says damn no, he ain't quitting!

She's a good follow, by the way.

Dude, who is this buster saying that on Twitter? WTF. Have some class. Eric has been nothing but a good rep of the U since coming to MPLS. Really hope he makes it back and has two years left if he wants it.

Dude, who is this buster saying that on Twitter? WTF. Have some class. Eric has been nothing but a good rep of the U since coming to MPLS. Really hope he makes it back and has two years left if he wants it.

Completely agreed, wtf lol

He will have a scholarship to finish whatever degree he desires, no matter what. That is guaranteed. I’m quite certain the U could ask the NCAA for a waiver or permission to provide him an academic scholarship that no longer counts against the team caps, in the scenario where he retires from bball.

Twitter hellscape. Whaddya gonna do.

Horrible timing on that tweet. You do have to question if he will ever play again. It sucks but it's reality.

Top Bottom