Curry blows out knee again???

alchemy2u

He must be heartbroken. Hope the U and his family are a great support system. Life has much more in store for this young man.
They supported him through the last couple of injuries. It is just heartbreaking all the injuries he has had to suffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Block M

Competitive basketball is not in the cards for EC. It may be bad luck or his knees may have heightened susceptibility to injury. Regardless, he's a bright kid and his future lies outside the basketball court. I hate to say it, but I had almost forgotten he was still in the program.

EG#9

I feel so bad for Eric. Anyone who has been through one major injury knows how difficult it is physically and mentally. This is now three for Eric including both his knees. I hope the "U" provides him with strong a support system beyond basketball (mental health especially) as he goes through a very tough time.

Block M

Anyone know if/when he's undergoing surgery? If its surgery, I assume he's done playing basketball at the U. If not, I guess there is a small chance he could come back.

MnplsGopher

How many surgeries/rehabs has Shannon Brooks done? He's back, and playing again this year.

Just saying, if you're willing to do it, it can be done.

UpAndUnder43

How many surgeries/rehabs has Shannon Brooks done? He's back, and playing again this year.

I get what you’re saying. But if Curry rehabs and gets hurt again it isn’t like he isn’t willing. What gives you that indication? Such a weird stance to take.

GopherJack

Not sure how this all works, but is he out of redshirt injury years? (is he able to sit out ANOTHER year and keep that year of eligibility?)

SelectionSunday

Not sure how this all works, but is he out of redshirt injury years? (is he able to sit out ANOTHER year and keep that year of eligibility?)
If Curry is out for another full season, then finally gets healthy, and then chooses to max out his eligibility, he seems like a clear case for being given a 6th year. His case certainly would be stronger than Davonte Fitzzgerald's, who was granted a 6th year after his transfer (from Texas A&M) & more injury problems with the Gophers.

Curry
2016-17 Played
2017-18 Injury redshirt
2018-19 Played briefly, then got hurt again
2019-20 Injury redshirt?

That looks like a guy who should get to play in both 2020-21 and 2021-22, if he so chooses.

MnplsGopher

I get what you’re saying. But if Curry rehabs and gets hurt again it isn’t like he isn’t willing. What gives you that indication? Such a weird stance to take.
Huh?

My post was very clearly saying if he’s willing to return to playing again, as opposed to retiring.

MnplsGopher

If Curry is out for another full season, then finally gets healthy, and then chooses to max out his eligibility, he seems like a clear case for being given a 6th year. His case certainly would be stronger than Davonte Fitzzgerald's, who was granted a 6th year after his transfer (from Texas A&M) & more injury problems with the Gophers.

Curry
2016-17 Played
2017-18 Injury redshirt
2018-19 Played briefly, then got hurt again
2019-20 Injury redshirt?

That looks like a guy who should get to play in both 2020-21 and 2021-22, if he so chooses.
Correct.

You can apply for what is called a “Hardship Waiver”, in certain cases. That extends your eligibility clock from five calendar years to six.

So he’d have six calendar years to participate in four seasons (and he has participated in two seasons already).

Another aspect to think about is, in six years he could EASILY have a masters degree completely paid for and finished. That would be pretty nice.

Last edited:

Go Gophs

Feel really bad for the kid.

I think though, what is best for him would be to just hang it up. His knees just can't take it. Not worth having to hobble around everywhere you go from age 30-on.

Too bad, he had such a high ceiling after his freshman year.

salzie

Brooks is only on his 5th year, a little different, but he's had few injuries over the years

MnplsGopher

Brooks is only on his 5th year, a little different, but he's had few injuries over the years
I was merely pointing out an example of someone who had gone through multiple major knee injuries needing surgery and still decided to come back to play.

alchemy2u

I was merely pointing out an example of someone who had gone through multiple major knee injuries needing surgery and still decided to come back to play.
Curry himself has gone through multiple injuries and decided to come back and play. Let’s not assume that he needs any role model. It is just a matter if we wants to go through it a third time or not. No one could blame him, we all feel for his misfortune and will support what ever he decides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Former Goofer

Jeff Goodman says he hears he did indeed blow out the ACL in the other knee. Man that sucks.
Man I feel so bad for the kid. To essentially have your career completely taken away for reasons that are out of your control before it even got started is just terrible.

Assuming he can get somewhat healthy I hope he can at least make back into the court no matter how limited he becomes

Block M

Man I feel so bad for the kid. To essentially have your career completely taken away for reasons that are out of your control before it even got started is just terrible.

Assuming he can get somewhat healthy I hope he can at least make back into the court no matter how limited he becomes
Curry had already lost explosiveness because of the previous injury and it is very hard to envision him returning next year/post-graduation. Not impossible, but seems highly unlikely.

howeda7

A question: If he gets a 6th year, do we get 14 scholarships that year? If not, isn't he our only current junior? (I forget which class Willis is in).

Latest profile posts