Current Perception of Gophers

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
Here's an excerpt from a CFN mini-piece on the upcoming bowls:

"23) If you don’t have NFL Network, don’t worry. The two bowl games broadcast on the niche cable network, which doesn’t enjoy good market penetration at this point (but might soon become a mainstream entity if the Obama administration has its way with the Federal Communications Commission), aren’t worth the time. Rice has two all-time-great players in Chase Clement and Jarett Dillard, but a matchup with the third-place team in the MAC West doesn’t provide too much of a “wow” factor in the Texas Bowl. The other NFL Network bowl game is the Insight, in which Kansas—fresh from the exhilarating upset of Missouri—should whip a reeling Minnesota team that has lost stamina, resolve, and identity."

OUCH! Pretty brutal commentary from a site that was laying on the love in October.

This type of view, coupled with the Iowa shellacking and the starting betting line, actually make this game a little more important than it might appear at first blush...at least for Gopher Nation.

Here's the link for the entire piece, which is pretty good: http://cfn.scout.com/2/819306.html

Go Gophers! Beat the Jayhawks!

Here's an excerpt from a CFN mini-piece on the upcoming bowls:

"23) If you don’t have NFL Network, don’t worry. The two bowl games broadcast on the niche cable network, which doesn’t enjoy good market penetration at this point (but might soon become a mainstream entity if the Obama administration has its way with the Federal Communications Commission), aren’t worth the time. Rice has two all-time-great players in Chase Clement and Jarett Dillard, but a matchup with the third-place team in the MAC West doesn’t provide too much of a “wow” factor in the Texas Bowl. The other NFL Network bowl game is the Insight, in which Kansas—fresh from the exhilarating upset of Missouri—should whip a reeling Minnesota team that has lost stamina, resolve, and identity."

OUCH! Pretty brutal commentary from a site that was laying on the love in October.

This type of view, coupled with the Iowa shellacking and the starting betting line, actually make this game a little more important than it might appear at first blush...at least for Gopher Nation.

Here's the link for the entire piece, which is pretty good: http://cfn.scout.com/2/819306.html

Go Gophers! Beat the Jayhawks!

I wouldn't expect anything different if the last thing they remember is 0-4 and 0-55. I think the time off should help this team recover their stamina and resolve. Now we'll see what they want their lasting identity to be.

Do I as a fan feel any different? We ran out of gas down the stretch, it was a combination of lack of depth, injuries, inexperience and emotional losses.

We have 15 practices to get a few new things working, and as fans we get 60 more minutes of Gopher Football to enjoy before next season.

I'm not too worried about our national perception, we have nothing to lose in this game. The last time we went into a bowl game on this sort of slide we thumped Arkansas.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. I know we Jayhawk fans won't. We're less than a year removed from being told that we didn't belong on the same field with Virginia Tech, and we all know how that turned out.

The other NFL Network bowl game is the Insight, in which Kansas—fresh from the exhilarating upset of Missouri—should whip a reeling Minnesota team that has lost stamina, resolve, and identity."

Perhaps they forget there is over a month from the end of the regular season until this bowl game? It's not a substantial review. How fresh will Kansas' win over Missouri be by then? The Gophers will be well-rested and their stamina will have returned. Resolve? Just how do they measure that? And "identity" has to the most empty word in all of sports.

Maybe we will win or maybe we will lose, but I am not impressed by this "analysis".

We're less than a year removed from being told that we didn't belong on the same field with Virginia Tech, and we all know how that turned out.

Sorry, I don't know how that turned out.

I doubt anyone would suggest the Gophers don't belong on the same field with Kansas.

The truth hurts. If any element of the debacle last month is revisited the Redleggers will be laying down the bloodbath on GopherNation. Our secondary, and our offensive line, and more or less every other squad better revive a whole helluva lot of their mojo or like so many ill fated ventures into the desert the Gopher Spirit of '08 might end its days in a dusty unmarked grave along with our national recognition in the year.

picture.php

well they definitely had the 2nd half season mason meltdown we're all used to

not to mention that football is a game of "who have you beat lately?"

well they definitely had the 2nd half season mason meltdown we're all used to

not to mention that football is a game of "who have you beat lately?"

That still seems to be the truth for a lot of people, but you know a win or two wouldn't hurt.

Pretty apropos though huh?

I guess I should have replaced my WTF with a WTP (I'll use that for "what's the point").

So I'll ask plainly: What is your point in bringing up a post from nearly 3 years ago, that has so very little with today's squad?

I guess I should have replaced my WTF with a WTP (I'll use that for "what's the point").

So I'll ask plainly: What is your point in bringing up a post from nearly 3 years ago, that has so very little with today's squad?

"not to mention that football is a game of "who have you beat lately?"

You honestly don't see how that applies to the board this week? The other part was just a bonus. :)

"not to mention that football is a game of "who have you beat lately?"

You honestly don't see how that applies to the board this week? The other part was just a bonus. :)

Oh...I get it. It should have been phrased "who have you beaten lately" Clever.

Still can't figure why you find a post nearly 3 years dead to cull from the archive to address at this point in time.

Oh...I get it. It should have been phrased "who have you beaten lately" Clever. ( not the point)

Still can't figure why you find a post nearly 3 years dead to cull from the archive to address at this point in time.

You can only go back three years but the time was part of the point. Thaileagle was right back then. It can happen. That is was his point was a bonus. Who have you defeated lately is ALWAYS the point. That was after they had gone 7-5 but had lost the last four after sustaining a whole lot of injuries and a huge loss to Iowa. If you looked after the Northwestern loss that took them to 7-2 you'd probably see the same posts. Go back a week earlier and you could have heard Ruesse on the radio saying he coud have been WRONG about Brewster!:eek:

If people were using boards after Mason lost Michigan in 2003 or maybe even Stoll against Maryland in the Hall of Fame Bowl, the first Bowl Game since 1961 they would have asked who have you beat lately!

Now a new coach comes in with a pretty good track record, following a bad team, takes some losses he shouldn't, gets hammered by a better team, takes some heat blah, blah, blah. It's always rightly or wrongly about winning and winning now.

Top Bottom