CSNChicago: B1G 40: What should be expected from Gophers at quarterback?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CSNChicago:

That leaves Mitch Leidner, who spent the majority of last year as the No. 2 QB behind Nelson but also started four games, as the guy in this, his sophomore season. Leidner was the more rush-oriented of the two quarterbacks a season ago, so much so that only twice did he have more passing attempts than rushing attempts in a game. Depending on which stat you prefer from your quarterback, his best game came either against San Jose State (21 carries, 154 yards, four rushing touchdowns) or in the bowl game against Syracuse (205 passing yards and a pair of passing touchdowns).

That comparison is significant because it shows Leidner can do it all. Nelson was not as effective a runner, and his passing, while better, never really looked all that great either last season (nine touchdonws, six interceptions). If Leidner can run like he did against San Jose State and pass like he did against Syracuse, the Gophers could really have something cooking.

http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/b1g-40-what-should-be-expected-gophers-quarterback

Go Gophers!!

The aroma from the kitchen smells good from here.

They never answered the question of what should be expected from us at QB. Improvement, that is to be what is expected and even if he himself doesn't improve, the weapons around him will. People may say that Nelson didn't improve at all from his freshman to sophomore season so why would Liedner but it is still reasonable to expect slight improvement. I feel more confident going into this year with Leidner than last year with Nelson.

The reason to expect improvement from Liedner is the fact that he did improve between the end of the regular season and the bowl game.

If fans thought the coaching crew had little tolerance for QB mistakes in 2013 you just wait for 2014. Boys lining up under center better have a favre type memory,thick skin and be well prepared.

per CSNChicago:

Depending on which stat you prefer from your quarterback, his best game came either against San Jose State (21 carries, 154 yards, four rushing touchdowns) or in the bowl game against Syracuse (205 passing yards and a pair of passing touchdowns). That comparison is significant because it shows Leidner can do it all. Nelson was not as effective a runner, and his passing, while better, never really looked all that great either last season (nine touchdonws, six interceptions). If Leidner can run like he did against San Jose State and pass like he did against Syracuse, the Gophers could really have something cooking.
http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/b1g-40-what-should-be-expected-gophers-quarterback

So, if Leidner can equal his best passing game of the season and his best running game of the season in the same game, he gets the QB seal of approval.........Good thing they're not setting the bar too high. Maybe someone who's more of a computer whiz could look this up: Did any QB in the country average 154yds rushing and 205 ydss passing a game last season? That would be 1,848 yds rushing and 2,460 yds passing the in the regular season. Heisman trophy, anyone?

per CSNChicago: only twice did he have more passing attempts than rushing attempts in a game.

What concerns me here is that a large number of his rushing attempts were not designed runs. He chose to tuck and run very quickly last year on pass plays. I believe that improved in the bowl game which is what gives me some hope for this year. His (perceived) improved options at WR should also (hopefully) help.

What concerns me here is that a large number of his rushing attempts were not designed runs. He chose to tuck and run very quickly last year on pass plays. I believe that improved in the bowl game which is what gives me some hope for this year. His (perceived) improved options at WR should also (hopefully) help.
I liked that. He was much more decisive in deciding to run or pass than Nelson and he had less sacks and threw it away less.

Leidner isn't our worry for this year. What we really need to worry about is....

I really look forward to this year! We are going to be good. The B1G Championship game is very possible.

Top Bottom