Crazy: Committee selecting college football's semi-finals to have 14-20 members

They should go by the polls - this isn't basketball. There will be all kinds of protests and endless charges of favoritism, etc. Polls are far from perfect but they've had authority of sorts since 1936.

Just have the two SEC coaches pick their opponents.

I agree, just go by BCS standings.

Why have the BCS rankings that already take in to account the human ability to judge how teams win/play AND a computer element if you're just going to have a selection committee anyway?

Because a selection committee will be less biased than a media poll.
Especially when the media has the tendency to get in bed with certain teams and conferences (this has been true for decades although some of the teams and conferences change)

Every other sport has a selection committee for their playoff. Why wouldn't football?

Every other sport has a selection committee for their playoff. Why wouldn't football?

Hockey uses the parwise rankings and the committee only places teams in regions to draw attendance . The football committee will just hinder the SEC in my view. They will try their hardest to get four conferences included.

First they have to select a committee to select the committee.

The sole job of these 14-20 members should be to watch and evaluate every relevant game leading up to picking the four teams to play. I will gladly put myself in the running for this.

Seriously, though, that's the biggest problem with the polls right now. There's probably a bunch of people on g'hole who watch more games than most of the coaches and media voting in the polls.

I'm not a big fan of that small of number to pick the teams. It's a little different in basketball where there are so many teams that make it in. Maybe where the bcs poll and these committee members account for 50% each of the final decision.

Will all the media experts have their First Four In and their First Four Out?

The sole job of these 14-20 members should be to watch and evaluate every relevant game leading up to picking the four teams to play. I will gladly put myself in the running for this.

Seriously, though, that's the biggest problem with the polls right now. There's probably a bunch of people on g'hole who watch more games than most of the coaches and media voting in the polls.

I'm not a big fan of that small of number to pick the teams. It's a little different in basketball where there are so many teams that make it in. Maybe where the bcs poll and these committee members account for 50% each of the final decision.

Maybe the fix is restricting or holding accountable those allowed to vote in the media poll. But this is a good explanation. I wil say people like Pat Forde, and even the Big Ten ESPN bloggers seem to watch a lot of games, and certainly all the relevant ones. Bennett may be a terrible writer, but Adam knows his stuff. If every media member with a vote were like these guys I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe the fix is restricting or holding accountable those allowed to vote in the media poll. But this is a good explanation. I wil say people like Pat Forde, and even the Big Ten ESPN bloggers seem to watch a lot of games, and certainly all the relevant ones. Bennett may be a terrible writer, but Adam knows his stuff. If every media member with a vote were like these guys I wouldn't worry about it.

Good point but I hope there wouldn't be any espn media on the committee, if you know what I mean.

Top Bottom