Coyle says Gophers still need to raise between $42-43MM to pay off Athletes Village

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per his Q&A with Doogie:

Among talking points:
  • Coyle's run as AD and all that has happened in the last 5-years
  • His level of content working for Minnesota and if this is his dream job
  • The challenges of navigating the athletic department through the pandemic
  • Sky-high expectations for the football team this year
  • Chances of welcoming back a full TCF Bank Stadium in September
  • Hiring of new men's hoops coach Ben Johnson
  • The transfer portal
  • NCAA champion and Gophers wrestler Gable Steveson
  • Conversations with St. Thomas AD Dr. Phil Esten and wanting to see non-conference games between the schools
Coyle received a contract extension Feb. 2020 that has him locked in with the 'U' through June 2026.

Go Gophers!!

Historically, teams that have strong FB seasons tend to see donations increase. So Coyle had better be rooting for the Gophers to have a big year.

Found a paper written in 2021 by the National Bureau for Economic Research.

an excerpt:

According to the report, if a college improves its season wins by 5 games, it can expect alumni athletic donations to increase by $682,000 (28 percent), applications to increase by 677 (5 percent), in-state enrollment to increase by 76 students (3 percent) and incoming students’ 25th-percentile SAT scores to increase by nine points (1 percent). But Anderson said these positive effects would not recoup however much money a college invested in its athletics program.

I updated the thread title from $22-23MM to $42-43MM as I heard Coyle wrong on the interview. Given it's in mid $40's range, we haven't raised anything in more than two years as this was the spot we were at well before COVID hit.

Go Gophers!!

Why can they get creative? There has to be multiple ways to fund raise.

Coyle's problem is that the TCs are, and always will be, a pro sports area.

Outside of the bandwagon fans, the base is really small compared to Wisconsin and Iowa. The $$$ needs to come from corporate interests. That's a tall task given the current climate in Minnesota.
I don't envy what the AD is facing.
Anything less than 9-10 wins by PJ...and given the loss of our premiere running back after this season, the football program is in big trouble.

Why can they get creative? There has to be multiple ways to fund raise.
Get creative all you want. Wins are the only thing that matters, especially consistent wins over rivals.

Well, if in whatever it is, 4 or 5 years Coyle has raised no money for Athletes Village...he’s pretty obviously not good at it.

Evidently, he keeps trying to raise $10 million, $5 million etc in one chunk and keeps failing.
Maybe, a different approach is an idea?
People fundraise a million dollars fairly routinely with silent auctions. There are golf tournaments that do big numbers.
Lots of different ways other than a company writing a check.
Ya, ya, ya COVID has impacted the last 13, 14 months but it’s been years nothing has changed. And people have adapted to fundraise online.
Tough to fundraise if you don’t talk to anybody or get out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there.
We used to fundraise to keep sports. Now we just cut em. Another signal he just doesn’t want to bother.

Gotta cheat 1991 badger style. Those kids had no right goin to college but whoops you get a Rashard Griffith and Brent Moss.

Coyle's problem is that the TCs are, and always will be, a pro sports area.

Outside of the bandwagon fans, the base is really small compared to Wisconsin and Iowa. The $$$ needs to come from corporate interests. That's a tall task given the current climate in Minnesota.
I don't envy what the AD is facing.
Anything less than 9-10 wins by PJ...and given the loss of our premiere running back after this season, the football program is in big trouble.
Minnesota men’s pro sports have failed to win a title since 1991. The Gophers don’t have a single NCAA recognized conference title in FB/MBB in almost 40 years. Few major schools can claim that dubious stat. MSP is the failingest sports market with teams in all the 6 most followed team sports and it ain’t close.

With that level of failure it’s wide open. I say first team to start winning big captures hearts, minds, and cash.

Time to get the players selling frozen cookie dough and butter braids. Or a Baker's Square pie sale. those always work in High School.

And - semi-serious - set up a big donation bucket or bin at the entrance to all Gopher sporting events. if they get (let's say) 35,000 people at a FB game, and everyone throws in a buck, it all helps.
granted, trying to fund-raise during a pandemic has to be a b*tch. Lots of businesses closed down or with limited income - does not put people in a mood to be generous.

then again, I saw a story that the CEO of Target is making $77-million in compensation this year. He can probably afford to throw more than a buck in the collection bin.

Minnesota men’s pro sports have failed to win a title since 1991. The Gophers don’t have a single NCAA recognized conference title in FB/MBB in almost 40 years. Few major schools can claim that dubious stat. MSP is the failingest sports market with teams in all the 6 most followed team sports and it ain’t close.

With that level of failure it’s wide open. I say first team to start winning big captures hearts, minds, and cash.
Your explanation kind of sums up why PJ had the fan base fired up in 2019. This school is so starved for a title that the slightest hint of a possible long run of success has fans dreaming. 2020/Covid put the brakes on that, and is why 2021 becomes so important. This season determines if Fleck is a "pretender" or a "contender".

Supposedly that was mega tongue's special skill but that never materialized.
The money that was raised was done by the Norwood /Nanne/Kill trio. Any money Coyle might take credit for was set up or the foundation laid by those guys. As evidenced by nothing to report in several years.

The seemingly great popularity of the Loons could have siphoned off fans and donors that might have been Gopher fans and donors.

The money that was raised was done by the Norwood /Nanne/Kill trio. Any money Coyle might take credit for was set up or the foundation laid by those guys. As evidenced by nothing to report in several years.
What would you expect to ... report?

Another village?

The seemingly great popularity of the Loons could have siphoned off fans and donors that might have been Gopher fans and donors.
miMZRv3.jpg

I used to have Gophers football season tickets and am now a Loons season ticket holder.

What would you expect to ... report?

Another village?
You can’t be this hopeless in your real life.
No, I don’t think we probably need another village but how about reporting how much money we have raised? How much the debt has decreased? Those are the reports we have not read or heard in years because the debt is the same number.

You can’t be this hopeless in your real life.
No, I don’t think we probably need another village but how about reporting how much money we have raised? How much the debt has decreased? Those are the reports we have not read or heard in years because the debt is the same number.
So you haven't seen those numbers?

I used to have Gophers football season tickets and am now a Loons season ticket holder.
Also a Loons STHer. Games are fun, inexpensive compared to most other sports and pretty quick. Plus weekends mostly. Easy to sell tickets you can’t use. It’s awesome.

Also a Loons STHer. Games are fun, inexpensive compared to most other sports and pretty quick. Plus weekends mostly. Easy to sell tickets you can’t use. It’s awesome.
Thursday and Friday afternoon tailgates don't do it for you?

Thursday and Friday afternoon tailgates don't do it for you?
Hahaha. They do but they have to be allowed. And I need a spot to do it. Typically go to Mac’s pregame due to ease of access and not having to pay for a tailgate spot.

Maybe Coyle should buy some Doge or other crypto currencies to turn a buck on. Lol

Top Bottom