Covid pauses Gopher BB

nooram

Leave my member out of it!
Reaction score
The Gophers men's basketball team has paused team activities indefinitely after dealing with a positive COVID-19 case, the team confirmed Tuesday.
"The University of Minnesota men's basketball team recently paused its workouts and practices due to COVID-19," a team spokesman said in a statement. "The team will resume activities once it is cleared to do so."
Details about how many players or staff tested positive were not available. The Gophers haven't practiced since last week, according to sources. The season opener is expected to be Nov. 25 against Wisconsin-Green Bay at Williams Arena.
The NCAA encourages college hoops programs to quarantine for two weeks if a Tier 1 person is infected by the coronavirus. Tier 1 individuals have the highest risk of exposure when social distancing and mask wearing is not possible during activities. They include athletes, coaches, trainers, officials, and medical and equipment staff.
The NCAA's Division I Council states that college basketball teams at all levels should conduct COVID-19 tests three times a week on nonconsecutive days to participate in competition during the season. Before the season, teams have tested weekly during the pandemic.

Have the winter sports protocols been announced for the Big10 yet? With this seemingly not slowing down anytime soon and the vaccine more than likely not widely available until well into the season or after it would be hard to imagine anything less stringent than what the protocols are for fall sports. Obviously with much smaller teams there is significantly less wiggle room to hit the "red" positivity rate.
One positive note is that it should be easier to reschedule basketball games if only a handful games are missed.

Also is there any data from the B1G on the heart issues that they were worried about at the time they made the fall sports protocols? Maybe allowing for only a 2 week absence if tested positive if they aren't as prevalent as they originally thought.

Have the winter sports protocols been announced for the Big10 yet? With this seemingly not slowing down anytime soon and the vaccine more than likely not widely available until well into the season or after it would be hard to imagine anything less stringent than what the protocols are for fall sports. Obviously with much smaller teams there is significantly less wiggle room to hit the "red" positivity rate.
One positive note is that it should be easier to reschedule basketball games if only a handful games are missed.

Also is there any data from the B1G on the heart issues that they were worried about at the time they made the fall sports protocols? Maybe allowing for only a 2 week absence if tested positive if they aren't as prevalent as they originally thought.

Good point on the rescheduling. In theory, you can play 3 games in a week. Football you cannot play 3 games in a week.

I'd have to look at it but I think Georgia played two games in a day a few years ago during their conference tournament. So makeup games may suck but they are doable!

Good point on the rescheduling. In theory, you can play 3 games in a week. Football you cannot play 3 games in a week.

I'd have to look at it but I think Georgia played two games in a day a few years ago during their conference tournament. So makeup games may suck but they are doable!
Had to check that as any good GHer would do. Here it is from 2008:
"Georgia defeated Mississippi State 64–60 to become the first team since Kentucky in 1952 to win two tournament games in one day, and the first-ever #6 seed from a division to advance to the modern (post-1992) SEC tournament finals."

I also thought it made a bit of sense to get 3 teams together to play and they could isolate better. So say we are supposed to play UND Dec 29th, why not have GB come and do a round robin type thing. Gophers plays GB 27 and UND 29th, UND plays GB the 28th at the barn. Everyone gets 2 games, no one has fans anyway, keeps travel costs down and dont have to worry about hopping town to town.

Not practicing at this time of year is a major handicap for many reasons. One positive, maybe we will be “forced” to play 10-13 guys
in the first couple weeks. 😀

Most importantly I hope the individual or individuals who have COVID-19 that are a part of the Gopher Basketball program have no symptoms or recover quickly from their symptoms.

This also shows there is ZERO interest in this basketball program. The program stopped practice sometime last week and it's only reported/discovered today? Somewhere between 3-8 days of no practice went unnoticed. The Gophers having to halt practice has been on the ESPN crawl for hours and the news broke over 10 hours ago online and my post is the 7th in the thread. We would have had 50 posts easy in 10 hours on a little bit of news about Wesley Washington's academic situation over a decade ago.

I was pretty surprised to find out that they've been out of practice since last week and we are just now hearing about it. I think this makes the easier than normal non-conference slate a bit of a blessing, they can use those games to work on the things they missed these two weeks.

Are beat reporters back to full time?

Could be a lack of interest in the program.

Could be just covid fatigue. Put me in the camp of people who will believe there's going to be a basketball season when they actually start playing games.

given what's happening nationally and in MN, I will be pleasantly surprised if we have any type of Winter sports.

Granted, Colleges have more resources to do testing - but when you look at what's going on with SEC football right now, I suspect that if here is a basketball season, it's going to be hit-and-miss on whether games get played from week to week.

Could be just covid fatigue. Put me in the camp of people who will believe there's going to be a basketball season when they actually start playing games.

given what's happening nationally and in MN, I will be pleasantly surprised if we have any type of Winter sports.

Granted, Colleges have more resources to do testing - but when you look at what's going on with SEC football right now, I suspect that if here is a basketball season, it's going to be hit-and-miss on whether games get played from week to week.

Maybe this current surge will shake people up enough that most everyone will start doing what the medical experts are recommending. Bar and restaurant hours curtailed; more and more schools going back to on-line; and 56 deaths reported today should get the attention of a whole lot more people. Any pre-season is going to be a mess, but maybe by the new year there can be a fairly conventional conference season.

Had to check that as any good GHer would do. Here it is from 2008:
"Georgia defeated Mississippi State 64–60 to become the first team since Kentucky in 1952 to win two tournament games in one day, and the first-ever #6 seed from a division to advance to the modern (post-1992) SEC tournament finals."

Looks like a tornado hit the Georgia dome? Wild.

I would think they would reassess this coming Tuesday?

You are probably right, not going to be much of a season, overall the vaccine will help but I doubt we see a down tick and major improvements until the spring.

Top Bottom