Cover 3 Podcast B1G Ten 5yr Predictions: PJ will go to UCLA

Why would anyone worry about PJ leaving? He hasn’t accomplished anything yet, and this year they have not looked good. 5-0, yes, but do any of those really count? Bad teams, barely won except for a terrible Illinois team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to think that PJ and Heather want to live here in the Twin Cities.

If PJ Fleck stays for the long haul, at a minimum we see an Iowa or Wisconsin type of success. At best a National Championship someday. PJ will be the guy to do it. If he keeps winning, he can bring recruiting to a higher level like no other Gopher football coach not named Lou Holtz could.

IMHO, PJ can quietly build a dynastic like program here without all the ultra high expectations and the corresponding consequences if you don't produce to a very high standard all the time.

Last edited:

Why would anyone worry about PJ leaving? He hasn’t accomplished anything yet, and this year they have not looked good. 5-0, yes, but do any of those really count? Bad teams, barely won except for a terrible Illinois team.

Yeah okay, it's not like this team looks miles better than any team we have seen the Gophers put together for a decade.

Gold. :clap:

Out of the Power 5 schools (65 of them?), UCLA seems like one of the most unlikely areas where PJ would go IMO.

Yeah okay, it's not like this team looks miles better than any team we have seen the Gophers put together for a decade.

I know, right. The defense doesn't look anywhere near as good as the 2014 or 2016 teams. The passing game looks better, but the running game doesn't compare to those teams either.

I know, right. The defense doesn't look anywhere near as good as the 2014 or 2016 teams. The passing game looks better, but the running game doesn't compare to those teams either.

We'll see what the whole season 2019 looks like, but so far so good in comparison to those years.

Year / Def YPG / Off YPG
2019 / 314 / 409
2016 / 349 / 357
2014 / 368 / 357

We'll see what the whole season 2019 looks like, but so far so good in comparison to those years.

Year / Def YPG /Off YPG
2019 / 314 / 409
2016 / 349 / 357
2014 / 368 / 357
Of course 14 and 16 include a full slate of big ten games.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I was being sarcastic.

UCLA? WTF? What a terrible prediction.

A. UCLA isn't even a better football job than Minnesota.
B. UCLA is currently helmed by a former NFL head coach who is only in his 2nd season. If he does well at UCLA, he'll set up shop there for some time. And if he flames out and gets fired in the next 1-3 years, UCLA isn't drawing anyone with any standing - likely they'd be able to hire a Power 5 coordinator or a Group of 5 head coach at best. In either scenario, Fleck isn't going there in the next 5 years (or ever). What an insanely idiotic forecast.

Technically he’s in year one. Remember last year was year zero. Didn’t count.

If you kept reading you would realize that my point was not in relation to PJ taking the Gophers job and moreso about the needed overhaul that often happens when a coach takes any P5 job. You don’t fire a coach unless you’ve hit rock bottom in one way or another. I will say that I know there’s people who believe that being given a 9 win team that barely snuck by Rutgers at home is clearly walking into a gold mine so I can’t argue with that.

Or the new AD wants his guy.

That bit is not in relation to PJ and Minnesota either, although it may appear to apply.

Last edited:

I think PJ will stay here longer than most national pundits think, and I think his next stop would be the NFL.

Not sure his schtick would fly in the NFL. He’s a college coach - and there is nothing wrong with that to the crowd that think anyone who disagrees with any person who doesn’t buy in to the notion that PJ fleck invented football.

Top Bottom