Cover 3 Podcast B1G Ten 5yr Predictions: PJ will go to UCLA

mep3017

Reaction score
On this week's cover 3 college football podcast. Barton Simmons, Tom Fornelli and Chip Patterson all asked each other where they see each big ten coach in the next 5 years, and they believe if PJ keeps winning he will be offered UCLA within 5 years because 1) It's a sexier school 2) He's a guy "looking to rise" and 3) His act "wears thin after a while"

starting at 50:46
https://www.cbssports.com/podcasts/cover-3-college-football-podcast/

Thoughts?

1) His act is not wearing thin in Minnesota. If anything, it's growing on Minnesota.
2) UCLA is a basketball school.
3) If he keeps doing what he's doing at Minnesota then he will get a far better offer than UCLA.

I could see Michigan, Texas, USC, etc. It would make no sense for him to go to a second-fiddle school in a crowded market.
But what I really hope is that he was serious about turning us into a national contender, Minnesota gets to build some new bleachers, and somebody backs up a dump truck full of cash to keep him here because he is the real deal, and Minnesota is starved for a a truly competitive team.

Last edited:

I KNEW this thread was just around the corner from a 5 and 0 start. Of course, nobody even considers that PJ would stay here. This is SO Minnesotan! There is no reason whatsoever why the U wouldn't keep Fleck.

1) His act is not wearing thin in Minnesota. If anything, it's growing on Minnesota.
3) If he keeps doing what he's doing at Minnesota then he will get a far better offer than UCLA.

Well, that’s settled then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has sadi mulitple times that he wants to stay in the midwest because of his kids. Thats a huge pull and may even be a requirement as part of his divorce agreement.

Lets not go all chicken little after a taste of success.

I could see Michigan, Texas, USC, etc. It would make no sense for him to go to a second-fiddle school in a crowded market.
But what I really hope is that he was serious about turning us into a national contender, Minnesota gets to build some new bleachers, and somebody backs up a dump truck full of cash to keep him here because he is the real deal, and Minnesota is starved for a a truly competitive team.

Good post. If Fleck keeps winning, he will get some big time offers - that's a guarantee. Wisconsin and Iowa were able to rise and keep their programs going strong by keeping that one guy who wanted to stay and build rather than move on. I hope if we win big here, PJ Fleck decides to stay and do the same thing.

I believe one of just two or three destinations he has circled is South Bend. It's closer to home, a permanent helmet school with money to spend, talent that's easier to recruit and deeper pockets in the seats.

His Gucci suits, personal branding, and persona fit so well in Los Angeles and Hollywood culture. This would seem like a very good fit for him.

Good post. If Fleck keeps winning, he will get some big time offers - that's a guarantee. Wisconsin and Iowa were able to rise and keep their programs going strong by keeping that one guy who wanted to stay and build rather than move on. I hope if we win big here, PJ Fleck decides to stay and do the same thing.

I agree that this job can be considered more attractive than many others with the right incentives in place and, in any event, I'm not too worried about him leaving in the near future.

Yes, Iowa has stuck with one guy and that has benefitted them but Wisconsin has had 4 different coaches during Ferentz's Iowa tenure. That's the remarkable thing about Wisconsin - they've continued their success through multiple coaching regimes. Now, in basketball, Wisconsin kept the same guy for a long time and that worked out fantastically for them.

I KNEW this thread was just around the corner from a 5 and 0 start. Of course, nobody even considers that PJ would stay here. This is SO Minnesotan! There is no reason whatsoever why the U wouldn't keep Fleck.

The podcast that prompted this thread is National not local. I agree that Minnesota fans have an unnatural fear of their coaches being stolen away even though it almost never happens but in this case this isn't local people floating the idea.

I don't get the impression that Fleck wants to hop from job to job. If he builds Minnesota up to the point where a truly great offer comes along so be it. But that offer is still years away at this point. The Big Ten West would be extremely attractive for a coach looking to put down roots because it is a division where you don't have the powerhouse programs like Ohio State and Michigan sitting there every year blocking your path.

We survived Wacker, Gutey, Holtz & Brewster...we will survive whatever comes next. Happy to have Fleck for as long as we have him and he keeps performing.

I think PJ will stay here longer than most national pundits think, and I think his next stop would be the NFL.

Yes, Iowa has stuck with one guy and that has benefitted them but Wisconsin has had 4 different coaches during Ferentz's Iowa tenure. That's the remarkable thing about Wisconsin - they've continued their success through multiple coaching regimes. Now, in basketball, Wisconsin kept the same guy for a long time and that worked out fantastically for them.

Barry Alvarez has been at the helm the whole time in Madison, that's the one guy.

Gophers will end up winning 10 games this year and then probably have a down year for whatever reason next year (because we're the gophers and we can't have nice things). By that time everyone will be calling for his job.

We have this talk in basketball and football almost every year until the coach quits or gets canned.

UCLA? WTF? What a terrible prediction.

A. UCLA isn't even a better football job than Minnesota.
B. UCLA is currently helmed by a former NFL head coach who is only in his 2nd season. If he does well at UCLA, he'll set up shop there for some time. And if he flames out and gets fired in the next 1-3 years, UCLA isn't drawing anyone with any standing - likely they'd be able to hire a Power 5 coordinator or a Group of 5 head coach at best. In either scenario, Fleck isn't going there in the next 5 years (or ever). What an insanely idiotic forecast.

giphy.gif

His Gucci suits, personal branding, and persona fit so well in Los Angeles and Hollywood culture. This would seem like a very good fit for him.

Will the California schools even be a part of the NCAA in the future with their “square peg round hole” legislation?

Will the California schools even be a part of the NCAA in the future with their “square peg round hole” legislation?

Other states will be adopting similar legislation. It is LaBron's decree.

I think PJ will stay here longer than most national pundits think, and I think his next stop would be the NFL.

I agree with you that PJ will be here longer than anticipated. I believe him when he says Minnesota is a sleeping giant. We have the facilities, a supportive AD and a president that understands what value successful, big time sports teams bring to the university.

Not so sure about NFL in the future. It appears to me that he is better suited to be a builder of young men.

PJ’s routine in the NFL would be a riot.

UCLA? WTF? What a terrible prediction.

A. UCLA isn't even a better football job than Minnesota.
B. UCLA is currently helmed by a former NFL head coach who is only in his 2nd season. If he does well at UCLA, he'll set up shop there for some time. And if he flames out and gets fired in the next 1-3 years, UCLA isn't drawing anyone with any standing - likely they'd be able to hire a Power 5 coordinator or a Group of 5 head coach at best. In either scenario, Fleck isn't going there in the next 5 years (or ever). What an insanely idiotic forecast.

I can see the fit, the allure for PJ and Heather to be in Beverly Hills/Westwood. But, Right now, he needs to beat Nebraska to ignite the rising social media chants across the nation...PJ PJ PJ PJ

PJ’s routine in the NFL would be a riot.

One of his players would kill him..."you didn't choose me, I chose you" .... on and on...riot/revolt....it would be good theatre. Maybe PJ and Jerry Jones. How 'bout them Cowboys!

One of his players would kill him..."you didn't choose me, I chose you" .... on and on...riot/revolt....it would be good theatre. Maybe PJ and Jerry Jones. How 'bout them Cowboys!

That’d be awesome.

How about the Buccaneers and rowing that boat?

Generally I think people underrate the difficulty there is in truly building a successful P5 program from the ground especially when it comes to non-blue bloods. Unless there is a very clear pull like step up in tier, dream job/return “home” or the chance to escape a bad/overbearing administration situation (coughWisconsincough), there is no reason to leave. These coaches that have grinded their way to this point know better than anyone that a wrong move could completely derail their career and Brohm’s hesitation to go back to his alma mater is a good example of that. How appealing is going back to square 1 when you already make good money and are in a comfortable spot?

I agree with the point about Fleck being someone that wants to climb the ladder but he’s not taking a side step to rebuild another power 5 program to then make another jump to a blue blood. That just doesn’t happen in College Football. His next step if he makes one will be a potential last stop and I don’t see that happening for awhile if ever. He’s got free rein here to do whatever he wants, the kind of freedom you aren’t getting in the top tier.

That fits with my culture and I live in Minneapolis.

I think PJ knows a good thing when he sees it. If Fleck can create the success at Minnesota that he believes he can, he would be foolish to ever leave here.
He could truly be a legend and be bigger than the program itself. After every thing this program has been through, we should pay him what he deserves.

I think PJ knows a good thing when he sees it. If Fleck can create the success at Minnesota that he believes he can, he would be foolish to ever leave here.
He could truly be a legend and be bigger than the program itself. After every thing this program has been through, we should pay him what he deserves.

If Wisconsin comes here with the West division on the line then I hope Coyle doubles his salary. If not, then he probably hasn't earned it, but we should still extend him by another year.

Generally I think people underrate the difficulty there is in truly building a successful P5 program from the ground especially when it comes to non-blue bloods. Unless there is a very clear pull like step up in tier, dream job/return “home” or the chance to escape a bad/overbearing administration situation (coughWisconsincough), there is no reason to leave. These coaches that have grinded their way to this point know better than anyone that a wrong move could completely derail their career and Brohm’s hesitation to go back to his alma mater is a good example of that. How appealing is going back to square 1 when you already make good money and are in a comfortable spot?

I agree with the point about Fleck being someone that wants to climb the ladder but he’s not taking a side step to rebuild another power 5 program to then make another jump to a blue blood. That just doesn’t happen in College Football. His next step if he makes one will be a potential last stop and I don’t see that happening for awhile if ever. He’s got free rein here to do whatever he wants, the kind of freedom you aren’t getting in the top tier.

Lost me at "from the ground..."

Lost me at "from the ground..."

If you kept reading you would realize that my point was not in relation to PJ taking the Gophers job and moreso about the needed overhaul that often happens when a coach takes any P5 job. You don’t fire a coach unless you’ve hit rock bottom in one way or another. I will say that I know there’s people who believe that being given a 9 win team that barely snuck by Rutgers at home is clearly walking into a gold mine so I can’t argue with that.

If you kept reading you would realize that my point was not in relation to PJ taking the Gophers job and moreso about the needed overhaul that often happens when a coach takes any P5 job. You don’t fire a coach unless you’ve hit rock bottom in one way or another. I will say that I know there’s people who believe that being given a 9 win team that barely snuck by Rutgers at home is clearly walking into a gold mine so I can’t argue with that.

Smaller shovel.

Top Bottom