Cover 3 Podcast B1G Ten 5yr Predictions: PJ will go to UCLA

60's Guy

UCLA? WTF? What a terrible prediction.

A. UCLA isn't even a better football job than Minnesota.
B. UCLA is currently helmed by a former NFL head coach who is only in his 2nd season. If he does well at UCLA, he'll set up shop there for some time. And if he flames out and gets fired in the next 1-3 years, UCLA isn't drawing anyone with any standing - likely they'd be able to hire a Power 5 coordinator or a Group of 5 head coach at best. In either scenario, Fleck isn't going there in the next 5 years (or ever). What an insanely idiotic forecast.
I can see the fit, the allure for PJ and Heather to be in Beverly Hills/Westwood. But, Right now, he needs to beat Nebraska to ignite the rising social media chants across the nation...PJ PJ PJ PJ

60's Guy

PJ’s routine in the NFL would be a riot.
One of his players would kill him..."you didn't choose me, I chose you" .... on and on...riot/revolt....it would be good theatre. Maybe PJ and Jerry Jones. How 'bout them Cowboys!

zman

One of his players would kill him..."you didn't choose me, I chose you" .... on and on...riot/revolt....it would be good theatre. Maybe PJ and Jerry Jones. How 'bout them Cowboys!
That’d be awesome.

How about the Buccaneers and rowing that boat?

Generally I think people underrate the difficulty there is in truly building a successful P5 program from the ground especially when it comes to non-blue bloods. Unless there is a very clear pull like step up in tier, dream job/return “home” or the chance to escape a bad/overbearing administration situation (coughWisconsincough), there is no reason to leave. These coaches that have grinded their way to this point know better than anyone that a wrong move could completely derail their career and Brohm’s hesitation to go back to his alma mater is a good example of that. How appealing is going back to square 1 when you already make good money and are in a comfortable spot?

I agree with the point about Fleck being someone that wants to climb the ladder but he’s not taking a side step to rebuild another power 5 program to then make another jump to a blue blood. That just doesn’t happen in College Football. His next step if he makes one will be a potential last stop and I don’t see that happening for awhile if ever. He’s got free rein here to do whatever he wants, the kind of freedom you aren’t getting in the top tier.

HoustonTXGopher

I think PJ knows a good thing when he sees it. If Fleck can create the success at Minnesota that he believes he can, he would be foolish to ever leave here.
He could truly be a legend and be bigger than the program itself. After every thing this program has been through, we should pay him what he deserves.

hello-world

I think PJ knows a good thing when he sees it. If Fleck can create the success at Minnesota that he believes he can, he would be foolish to ever leave here.
He could truly be a legend and be bigger than the program itself. After every thing this program has been through, we should pay him what he deserves.
If Wisconsin comes here with the West division on the line then I hope Coyle doubles his salary. If not, then he probably hasn't earned it, but we should still extend him by another year.

PMWinSTP

Generally I think people underrate the difficulty there is in truly building a successful P5 program from the ground especially when it comes to non-blue bloods. Unless there is a very clear pull like step up in tier, dream job/return “home” or the chance to escape a bad/overbearing administration situation (coughWisconsincough), there is no reason to leave. These coaches that have grinded their way to this point know better than anyone that a wrong move could completely derail their career and Brohm’s hesitation to go back to his alma mater is a good example of that. How appealing is going back to square 1 when you already make good money and are in a comfortable spot?

I agree with the point about Fleck being someone that wants to climb the ladder but he’s not taking a side step to rebuild another power 5 program to then make another jump to a blue blood. That just doesn’t happen in College Football. His next step if he makes one will be a potential last stop and I don’t see that happening for awhile if ever. He’s got free rein here to do whatever he wants, the kind of freedom you aren’t getting in the top tier.
Lost me at "from the ground..."

Lost me at "from the ground..."
If you kept reading you would realize that my point was not in relation to PJ taking the Gophers job and moreso about the needed overhaul that often happens when a coach takes any P5 job. You don’t fire a coach unless you’ve hit rock bottom in one way or another. I will say that I know there’s people who believe that being given a 9 win team that barely snuck by Rutgers at home is clearly walking into a gold mine so I can’t argue with that.

PMWinSTP

If you kept reading you would realize that my point was not in relation to PJ taking the Gophers job and moreso about the needed overhaul that often happens when a coach takes any P5 job. You don’t fire a coach unless you’ve hit rock bottom in one way or another. I will say that I know there’s people who believe that being given a 9 win team that barely snuck by Rutgers at home is clearly walking into a gold mine so I can’t argue with that.
Smaller shovel.

Ozzy&Ray

Why would anyone worry about PJ leaving? He hasn’t accomplished anything yet, and this year they have not looked good. 5-0, yes, but do any of those really count? Bad teams, barely won except for a terrible Illinois team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hungan1

I would like to think that PJ and Heather want to live here in the Twin Cities.

If PJ Fleck stays for the long haul, at a minimum we see an Iowa or Wisconsin type of success. At best a National Championship someday. PJ will be the guy to do it. If he keeps winning, he can bring recruiting to a higher level like no other Gopher football coach not named Lou Holtz could.

IMHO, PJ can quietly build a dynastic like program here without all the ultra high expectations and the corresponding consequences if you don't produce to a very high standard all the time.

Last edited:

hello-world

Why would anyone worry about PJ leaving? He hasn’t accomplished anything yet, and this year they have not looked good. 5-0, yes, but do any of those really count? Bad teams, barely won except for a terrible Illinois team.

Yeah okay, it's not like this team looks miles better than any team we have seen the Gophers put together for a decade.

kisarazu

Gold. :clap:

Ozzy&Ray

Yeah okay, it's not like this team looks miles better than any team we have seen the Gophers put together for a decade.
I know, right. The defense doesn't look anywhere near as good as the 2014 or 2016 teams. The passing game looks better, but the running game doesn't compare to those teams either.

Panthadad2

I know, right. The defense doesn't look anywhere near as good as the 2014 or 2016 teams. The passing game looks better, but the running game doesn't compare to those teams either.
We'll see what the whole season 2019 looks like, but so far so good in comparison to those years.

Year / Def YPG / Off YPG
2019 / 314 / 409
2016 / 349 / 357
2014 / 368 / 357

Word

Eats difficult conversations
We'll see what the whole season 2019 looks like, but so far so good in comparison to those years.

Year / Def YPG /Off YPG
2019 / 314 / 409
2016 / 349 / 357
2014 / 368 / 357
Of course 14 and 16 include a full slate of big ten games.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

caliGopher

UCLA? WTF? What a terrible prediction.

A. UCLA isn't even a better football job than Minnesota.
B. UCLA is currently helmed by a former NFL head coach who is only in his 2nd season. If he does well at UCLA, he'll set up shop there for some time. And if he flames out and gets fired in the next 1-3 years, UCLA isn't drawing anyone with any standing - likely they'd be able to hire a Power 5 coordinator or a Group of 5 head coach at best. In either scenario, Fleck isn't going there in the next 5 years (or ever). What an insanely idiotic forecast.
Technically he’s in year one. Remember last year was year zero. Didn’t count.

Latest profile posts

Hi guys, I'm new here! Since I can remember, I’ve always been a sports fan. I haven’t been a student for a long time, but I have a direct bearing on student life and educational programmes so please feel free to write me on any matter!
I have been in the tech business for a very long time. I am now familiar with the ins and outs of the hacking, cracking, monitoring, and other related fields. Currently, my goal is spread information on these topics through blog. You can check out my “snapchat hack download” article to get an idea of what I’m up to.
I could see pitino being a lock for Syracuse if that job opens up. He was raised in NYC and has family in the North East.