Countdown Completed, Elijah Hawkins Sets Season Assist Record - 211 And Counting

He’s only behind Cooper and Carr with his 182 and based on his current apg of 7.6, he’s on track to break it at home against PSU on 3/2.

Ta'lon had 196? I didn't think they made 196 shots last year. Including free throws.
If last year's team could shoot at all Cooper would have set a single season assist total that would be really really hard for Hawkins to catch.

As it stands right now it would take an injury for Hawkins not to shatter the record.

Agreed that the Big Ten is not a conference that's likely to have a national assist leader. Too physical, and too slow a pace for for that to happen.

One of the remarkable things we've seen so far is the evolution of Hawkins into a much better decision-maker in the passes he throws. Notice how many times now that he takes the baseline and just keeps his dribble until he finds someone, and if he doesn't, he makes a safer pass. Some of our players are understanding how to make a basket cut when Hawkins drives, and Payne and Fox have cashed in a number of times.

This is a guy who has gone from playing a schedule for Howard University last year and averaged 6 assists and 4 turnovers a game (not a good average) to now averaging 7.8 assists and 2.7 turnovers. And by the way, he's averaging 2 steals a game as well. Now there were games against some fairly inferior opponents early this season, but he has actually not hurt his ratio in Big Ten games.

What he has done is truly amazing, and there are a lot of games left to play, but his improvement in a short span of time is really impressive. And while most of this is Hawkins himself, a lot of this has been from some damn good coaching.

I'm not ready to crown Ben Johnson as the best coach in Big Ten history, and there are a lot of games left, but he has to get credit for a lot of Hawkins improvement. And thank goodness, because they needed some good guard play!
But you can name Ben as one of the better coaches in the Big Ten based on team play, defense, and grit. These guys are playing as a team above their talent level. That’s good coaching.

Agreed that the Big Ten is not a conference that's likely to have a national assist leader. Too physical, and too slow a pace for for that to happen.

One of the remarkable things we've seen so far is the evolution of Hawkins into a much better decision-maker in the passes he throws. Notice how many times now that he takes the baseline and just keeps his dribble until he finds someone, and if he doesn't, he makes a safer pass. Some of our players are understanding how to make a basket cut when Hawkins drives, and Payne and Fox have cashed in a number of times.

This is a guy who has gone from playing a schedule for Howard University last year and averaged 6 assists and 4 turnovers a game (not a good average) to now averaging 7.8 assists and 2.7 turnovers. And by the way, he's averaging 2 steals a game as well. Now there were games against some fairly inferior opponents early this season, but he has actually not hurt his ratio in Big Ten games.

What he has done is truly amazing, and there are a lot of games left to play, but his improvement in a short span of time is really impressive. And while most of this is Hawkins himself, a lot of this has been from some damn good coaching.

I'm not ready to crown Ben Johnson as the best coach in Big Ten history, and there are a lot of games left, but he has to get credit for a lot of Hawkins improvement. And thank goodness, because they needed some good guard play!
As long as he averages ~7 a game the rest of the way (nation’s assist leader) he should win it, as time is running out.

He’ll break the season record against PSU on 3/2 based non his current production.

Marquette plays in the Big East so they get to play the sisters of the poor twice a year. As a result Hawkins is now tied with Kolek for assist leader.

Marquette plays in the Big East so they get to play the sisters of the poor twice a year. As a result Hawkins is now tied with Kolek for assist leader.
Grrr…

We’ll time for him to up his game, as we march to a tourney.

He’s due for a 8+ assist game. We’re now 5th in the country and first in the B10 for team assists.

That very first assist of Kokek’s in the video should have been a pass to a traveling violation.

Hawkins will never touch Carr’s Gopher record for minutes in a season spent dribbling!

Can anyone explain how he makes these passes when he's moving so fast?

I see Hawkins play and I don't see a soul on the team who can do what he does for us next year. I saw a lot of Ray Williams as a pro player, and Hawkins is a short Ray.
*EDIT I have recently learned to read and now know Hawk can come back.

I like your point that he brings alot.

Barring an oddity tomorrow, Hawkins should break the season record against PSU; man was he on point against the Illini, 12 assists and no turnovers.

Last edited:

What a season you’ve given us!

So glad you came here and you are the engine which makes us go!

Glad you could do it at home in a W!

Keep adding more in the next two games and shatter it next year,

🎩 🧢 Hats off to thee!!!!

Last edited:

Marquette's Tyler Kolek (Nation's assist leader) sat out todays (03/02) game vs Creighton. Kolek has an oblique injury and it's not known when he'll return. So he stayed at 214 total assists (3 ahead of 2nd place Elijah Hawkins). They both have played 28 games.

I got a chuckle when Hawk dumped the ball back to Mitchell late in the game on the breakaway layup.

Yea, good point. He had the layup shot, but Mitchell had an even better shot. Unselfish.

That's THE kind of point guard you covet. Great point guards make others better. Great point guards don't always get credit with fans for the way they unselfishly add value.

Based on the way this team is playing, Hawkins was a big addition.

I got a chuckle when Hawk dumped the ball back to Mitchell late in the game on the breakaway layup.
Why? That was a brilliant play showing great awareness and body control. If he goes up for a layup, that is 100% blocked by the guy behind him badly. Being able to realize that AND have the control to dump it back perfectly to the guy who could score was one of the most important plays of the game as it made the steal they created pay off and turned the momentum back after losing the lead again.

Why? That was a brilliant play showing great awareness and body control. If he goes up for a layup, that is 100% blocked by the guy behind him badly. Being able to realize that AND have the control to dump it back perfectly to the guy who could score was one of the most important plays of the game as it made the steal they created pay off and turned the momentum back after losing the lead again.

You misinterpret me. I loved it. Very few players make the decision Hawkins made there.....which is why I said that I "chuckled". While I think he could have probably bolted down and got a layup on his own.....slowing it down and dumping it to an unguarded trailer is a good play. His pass first mentality is one of the biggest reasons that this team is playing as well as they have been.

Yea, good point. He had the layup shot, but Mitchell had an even better shot. Unselfish.

That's THE kind of point guard you covet. Great point guards make others better. Great point guards don't always get credit with fans for the way they unselfishly add value.

Based on the way this team is playing, Hawkins was a big addition.
And it was extraordinary that while hurtling toward the basket for his own layup Hawk had the body control to peak back to see a) he had a big on his immediate tail who might be able to block the shot and, b) he had Mitch as a trailer. The kid has eyes everywhere.

You misinterpret me. I loved it. Very few players make the decision Hawkins made there.....which is why I said that I "chuckled".

I get it. I frequently chuckle at some of Hawkins' plays as a form of appreciation. He has to be one of the most entertaining players in CBB right now.

And it was extraordinary that while hurtling toward the basket for his own layup Hawk had the body control to peak back to see a) he had a big on his immediate tail who might be able to block the shot and, b) he had Mitch as a trailer. The kid has eyes everywhere.
What is crazy is for a guy that is so small his court vision and sense for where his teammates are is off the charts.

Amazing to think of how far he has come over the course of the season. When he first got here he was playing out of control and making all kinds of mistakes......fast forward to right now where he is easily one of the best PG in the conference.

Can't wait to see what he can do next year. Assuming we have to get someone from the portal, I would think that playing with a point guard like Hawkins who is very unselfish and very good at setting up his teammates would be something that would appeal to a lot of guys looking for a new home.

Top Bottom