Could Ohio State football’s opener at Minnesota resemble the 2018 rout of Oregon State?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Nathan:

I won’t predict 77 points for OSU, but I can see the game unfolding in a similar fashion. Minnesota returns a ton of offensive line experience, as well as a three-year starting quarterback in Tanner Morgan and a first-team All-Big Ten running back in Ibrahim Mohamed. I think the Gophers can move the ball on OSU, which still has questions to answer in the secondary and a remade linebacker corps.

Oregon State scored on touchdown runs of 80 and 78 yards, and that sort of big-play susceptibility would be a bad sign for OSU. The Buckeyes also sacked Oregon State five times in 2018, and I will definitely take the under on that against Minnesota’s veteran protection.

But can Minnesota stop OSU? The matchup between defensive end Boye Mafe and OSU tackles Thayer Munford and Ncholas Petit-Frere is an intriguing one. The Gophers were pretty terrible at stopping the run last season, though. We talk about Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson and the QB competition so much that it is easy to forget how OSU’s run game should again be among the strongest in the Big Ten and elsewhere.

I think Day can rely on the rushing attack to set the foundation against Minnesota, allowing for some play-action and quick strike opportunities to the receivers.

It’s much more likely the final score resembles the 2019 opener, a 45-21 win over Florida Atlantic, than a 46-point blowout with a record-setting score.

Go Gophers!!

So the writer’s question is whether, against the Gophers, Ohio State scores 77 points (2018 opener) or only 45 points (2019 opener). That’s confidence. BTW, Ohio State scored 52 points against Nebraska in its 2020 opener. The Gophers will need to score over 40 points to stay in this game—or get a lot of TOs and breaks.

NW held Ohio State to 22 points in the 2020 Big Ten championship game. It can be done.

Last edited:

Pinckney will have an effect. Also if I remember right, OH didn't get their run game going until like the last 3 games. Sermon started to roll then. Stop the run, control clock. Soooo pretty much the key to every ball game.

There is a chance that Ryan day can’t recruit/develop QBs…we have never seen him do it without UM

this is the first season that it wasn’t an urban Meyer development or a transfer stud. If they can’t get heisman level quarterback play, they’re just Penn State with shinier helmets.

So the writer’s question is whether, against the Gophers, Ohio State scores 77 points (2018 opener) or only 45 points (2019 opener). That’s confidence. BTW, Ohio State scored 52 points against Nebraska in its 2020 opener. The Gophers will need to score over 40 points to stay in this game—or get a lot of TOs and breaks.

NW held Ohio State to 22 points in the 2020 Big Ten championship game. It can be done.
Tough to fault them for confidence given the run they have been on for the past 9 seasons. We will need a strong effort from the defense but the reality is that for us to have any real shot at the upset our offense has to play great, control the clock, and score every chance they get.

Agree. OSU will put up points against us. We will no doubt need to score a lot of points ourselves or get lucky in the TO battle to be in this game.

This will be the 2015 TCU game all over again, except the Gophers will have a little more offensive firepower.

I'm going to go on record now, I think it's a close, low scoring game. Just a gut feeling.
Would be nice.

If both teams focus on running the ball ... you could well be right.

Top Bottom