Could Mike Leach's offense be run with a running QB?

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Just got to thinking, on the off chance the gophers do make that decision, is there any history of Leach run offenses having a more mobile QB?
A lot of people have assumed that Leach would keep a guy like Gray at WR, but is there any history of Leach using mobile QB's (I know there isn't at Texas Tech, but what about previous stops)? Imagine that complete spread passing game with a threat to run out of the pocket.

And before you say Gray can't pass well enough, shut up, cause you have never seen him play.

My thinking is that Leach would have Gray at a WR position for the simple fact that he is a top 3 WR on the team. He might want to bring in a freshman QB from Texas or something.

Why not? Even the most pass-oriented offense can be adapted to take advantage of a QB who can run. That threat to run can open up the passing game even more.

From the numbers I've found, here are some of Leach's QB rushing numbers over the years (keep in mind these include sacks):

2003: BJ Symons: 79 rushes, 143 yards
2004: Sonny Cumbie: 52 rushes, -167 yards
2005: Cody Hodges: 109 rushes, 191 yards
2006: Graham Harrell: 32 rushes, -66 yards
2007: Graham Harrell: 38 rushes, -91 yards
2008: Graham Harrell: 41 rushes, -15 yards
2009: Taylor Potts: 24 rushes, -166 yards

So no, his QBs do not run and have not run much in the past. Although they could when they had to (most of the longest rushes each season are ~20 yards for the QBs)

Hodges and Symons obviously ran a little since those numbers include sacks. I know he didn't have runners at Texas Tech, I was more talking about his days as a coordinator at Kentucky and as an assistant in other places.

At this point does it really matter? Too many sources are saying Leach has no shot, so I am not going to think about it.

At this point does it really matter? Too many sources are saying Leach has no shot, so I am not going to think about it.

1. No credible sources have said he isn't a candidate.

2. This is a message board, so you can choose not to think about it if you want, but I come on here to discuss football. So I will think about it.

1. No credible sources have said he isn't a candidate.

2. This is a message board, so you can choose not to think about it if you want, but I come on here to discuss football. So I will think about it.

1. Not going to get into argument about this.

2. If you want to discuss it from a football standpoint...it is an emphatic no. Leach's system is pure run'n'shoot or Air Raid. There generally is nothing in his "system" that accounts for a "mobile" QB. He wants guys who drop back and sling it all over the yard.

I know he did that at Texas Tech, I am asking the question to anyone who knows...was that always the case at
Kentucky and Valdosta State?

Leach was a disciple of Hal Mumme. Mumme was a long time run 'n' shoot / Air Raid coach. This has been Leach's (and Mumme's for that matter) system for the better part of 25 years.

So yes, it was the same system at TT as it was at Kentucky as it was at Valdosta State.

Remember Tim Couch? Mumme and Leach's system helped him become the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft based on his gaudy college passing numbers.

Just got to thinking, on the off chance the gophers do make that decision, is there any history of Leach run offenses having a more mobile QB?
A lot of people have assumed that Leach would keep a guy like Gray at WR, but is there any history of Leach using mobile QB's (I know there isn't at Texas Tech, but what about previous stops)? Imagine that complete spread passing game with a threat to run out of the pocket.

And before you say Gray can't pass well enough, shut up, cause you have never seen him play.

My thinking is that Leach would have Gray at a WR position for the simple fact that he is a top 3 WR on the team. He might want to bring in a freshman QB from Texas or something.

The only published playbooks of a Leach offense does not show any specific running QB plays. Could he draw up a QB draw, probably. Does he show a history of a waggle, or an option play in his package? I didn't find any.

From the numbers I've found, here are some of Leach's QB rushing numbers over the years (keep in mind these include sacks):

2003: BJ Symons: 79 rushes, 143 yards
2004: Sonny Cumbie: 52 rushes, -167 yards
2005: Cody Hodges: 109 rushes, 191 yards
2006: Graham Harrell: 32 rushes, -66 yards
2007: Graham Harrell: 38 rushes, -91 yards
2008: Graham Harrell: 41 rushes, -15 yards
2009: Taylor Potts: 24 rushes, -166 yards

So no, his QBs do not run and have not run much in the past. Although they could when they had to (most of the longest rushes each season are ~20 yards for the QBs)

this is probably the dumbest thing i have ever read in my life! of course a running qb could work, but in that style how often would the qb need to run is a better question!

Top Bottom