Could Marcus Carr become the best point guard in Gophers history?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Goldstein:

Could he become the Gophers’ best point guard…ever?
It’s not as crazy as it seems. Let’s dive in.

Al Nolen, in my opinion the best pure point guard in recent memory, while a better defender, wasn’t nearly the offensive weapon Carr is. Adam Boone and DeAndre Mathieu, both solid players, were simply not as talented. Kevin Burleson is among the program’s leaders in assists, but my lasting memory of him will always be slapping the floor as his man immediately drove by and he attempted to get back into a defensive stance.

The only 2000s-era comparison is Nate Mason, an All-Big Ten First Team performer who’s currently second all-time at the U in assists and sixth in scoring. And no disrespect to Mason, but Carr is a much better player.

First and foremost, Carr doesn’t need to score to significantly influence the game. Against Oklahoma State, for example, he shot just 2-12 but racked up 11 assists and 7 rebounds, playing all 40 minutes of the blowout win. He’s also a much better passer, getting his teammates more involved, more consistently – something invaluable on the off-shooting nights every guard is certain to have.

Go Gophers!!

Bobby Jackson was pretty stellar too (I know that was late 90s). But Carr has definitely exceeded expectations. I would say this undoubtedly is the best PG/C combo I’ve seen in the past 20+ years. Carr is putting up numbers equal to Tre Jones right now with stiffer competition.

Bobby Jackson was pretty stellar too (I know that was late 90s). But Carr has definitely exceeded expectations. I would say this undoubtedly is the best PG/C combo I’ve seen in the past 20+ years. Carr is putting up numbers equal to Tre Jones right now with stiffer competition.

Bobby was better in my opinion but he was more of the shooting guard and Eric Harris was the main point guard when they played.

Ariel McDonald was good. Osborne Lockhart was great.

I'd argue Daryl Mitchell with our last B10 Championship would be among best PG.
At 6'5" 240lb, he was a beast at PG.

All this talk about how good Carr is, or can become, makes me think lots of "what ifs", lol.

What if Amir had come back this year, and Curry was healthy and contributing significant minutes. WOW!!! Ok, enough of that. How about Carr just plays lights out tomorrow and we beat the Hawkeyes?

I'd say Yes, if he continues to improve. It will be great to watch his progress before he leaves and goes to the Association. I think he can have a nice career there as he does lots of things well and physically will be able to handle it.

I'd argue Daryl Mitchell with our last B10 Championship would be among best PG.
At 6'5" 240lb, he was a beast at PG.
My memory had Mark Hall as the point guard during this time. Mitchell and Tucker as shooting guards.

But yes Daryl Mitchell was a great player. That was a fun team

If Carr spends the off-season looking at film and working on beating the hedging and the more physical play, watch out next year. His shot already looks so much better than the beginning of this season.

Top Bottom