Could Kill Pull It Off?

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
Recognizing a young man has made a needlessly horrible, horrible decision, he graciously provides a way for AJ earn his way back on to the Spring roster.

Could make for nice copy. And it's the kind of lesson that football is designed to impart.

Somebody would need to whisper in AJ's ear, "Coach would like to talk to you in January." If AJ goes silent and arrives in sackcloth and ashes...

Small chance of happening. Wondering if it's possible in principle.

I was thinking the same thing, that a return is not impossible. Gophers will be very thin at WR while Barker may not find much interest after his 15 minutes of fame.

What could help (though we may not hear about it) is if Barker is diagnosed with some sort of disorder. He may have one given that most people do not write 4000 incoherent words to quit something. Stoudermire was able to do the same with a one sentence tweet

It would send a great message from Kill and staff to recruits if it happened, but I think's it doubtful since Barker would no doubt want a scholarship if he were to return and that won't happen at this point. It would also probably take a public apology from Barker, which seems to be something he would never do.

After that letter, I wouldn't let that kid back on the team. Addition by subtraction.

Obviously, there will be no scholarship.

And he would have to crawl on his hands and knees in full view of the public.

But he's young and dumb and so long as he is contrite and his academics are in order....

One more thing to be clear about: AJ's fault was not thinking awful things about his coach (which all players do). AJ's mistake was simply hitting "send".

Short of Apple Jacks agreeing to electroshock therapy, I seriously doubt there is anyway he's coming back. When you deploy the scorched gopher-land policy and then burn the only bridge on your way out, it leaves little chance of getting back. I suspect Coach Kill is giving the illusion of an out and a way back onto the team for this misguided young man. If he does take him back, I hope he puts him on the special teams practice squad as a punt returner so that his teammates can help him with his therapy.

Go Gophers!

It would probably take something like this. Barker apologizes to Teague, Teague sets up a meeting with Kill and Barker (and Barkers parents and mom's BFF) where Barker apologizes to Kill, Kill goes before the team and gets there opinion/approval, and then Barker possibly returns after apologizing to the team and training staff.

I don't think Barker has that many apologies in him.

But if he did return, this is how Kill needs to motivate him. When we play Iowa - They didn't think you were good enough, I did. When we play Wisconsin - They didn't think you were good enough, I did....etc., etc., etc.

Short of Apple Jacks agreeing to electroshock therapy, I seriously doubt there is anyway he's coming back. When you deploy the scorched gopher-land policy and then burn the only bridge on your way out, it leaves little chance of getting back. I suspect Coach Kill is giving the illusion of an out and a way back onto the team for this misguided young man. If he does take him back, I hope he puts him on the special teams practice squad as a punt returner so that his teammates can help him with his therapy.

Go Gophers!

I once enjoyed that position in practice. I got creamed but in the end still enjoyed it and improved my camaraderie with the team by being able to take a little punishment (not because I was performing or acting badly) and pop back up ready for more.

I once enjoyed that position in practice. I got creamed but in the end still enjoyed it and improved my camaraderie with the team by being able to take a little punishment (not because I was performing or acting badly) and pop back up ready for more.

You realize that returners never get hit these days in practice? Those days are long gone. I get your point though.

Barker napalmed every bridge he could. I could see Kill giving Barker a second chance, but Barker is probably too headstrong to apologize.

somebody lied but nobody died. nothin was said that couldn't be forgiven.

Only if his mom's good friend agreed to it.

It would be a good story

somebody lied but nobody died. nothin was said that couldn't be forgiven.

especially if AJ had a spectacular senior season. Chances of it happening are remote but I like your quote

I'm sure BB is going to offer a scholarship, so we'll probably see him at the Bank next year.

No chance of Barker coming back. I watched the TV interview on Channel 11, and I listened to the multiple radio interviews on KSTP-1500. All I heard from Barker was "me, me, me." This is a team sport, and I don't think this guy wants to be part of a team.

Among his comments: he said Kill "had no choice" but to play Barker, because Barker was (in his opinion) the best receiver on the team. He also said he regrets that he won't be around to "help Nelson realize his full potential," - suggesting that Nelson will not fulfill his potential without the great AJ to catch his passes.

A player who only thinks about himself has the potential to really divide a team. Contrast Barker with how MarQueis Gray handled his situation this year - Gray showed real class - Barker showed no class.

In the long run, this may be addition by subtraction.

I don't want him back. He seems to be a guy who plays for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the front. Whatever he is capable of on the field, I don't want him at practice or in the locker room.

this is a clear case of the tail trying to wag the dog! if Barker realizes this and truly has a change of heart i am sure he could mend his fences. otherwise even he were allowed back it would only turn out negative, and work against team unity.

The thing about cancer is usually you want to remove it from the organism it's working against, you don't remove a tumor and then invite it back a couple months later.

There is no chance in hell. Forget it. You're all nuts.

Who said anything about an invite?

This scenario only works if AJ shuts up and repents on his own.

For the record I don't think he will be back but if he did I can guarantee there would be multiple early morning workouts in his future. Run him, run him and run him some more to find out how much he wants to be back on the team. And then I'd run him again just to be sure, guessing he wouldn't last long, they usually don't.

I don't know if there is enough humble pie in the world for AJB to come back. It would be the right thing for him to do regardless if JK would let him back.

Wouldn't that make Barker the manipulator then? He rages against the program and lies about abuse, guilt-trips them into thinking he deserves another chance, then he feigns repentance. All to get his scholarship?

Bull $hit. Do not let this guy back on the team.

It is apparent -- by all the talk about him being special, and his obsession with his parents, and approval from those above him -- that he wants to be treated like a child. Remember how all of Kill's former players came out and said that Kill was a great man because he treats his players like Men?? Well, I'm sure that's what he did with Barker, and Barker couldn't handle it.

After having survived Basic Military Training within the year, it is clear that to make a truly solid team, some manipulation is needed. You simply accept that these are head games meant to make you a better player, teammate, soldier, whatever. Nothing is personal in all of that, except for the fact that the coach, or drill instructor, or whoever, simply wants to make you a better person. IT IS HIS JOB TO MOLD, MANIPULATE, CHALLENGE, AND CHANGE YOU!! You accept it for what it is - and don't whine about it. Certainly don't stab anyone in the back because of your selfishness.

Now, there are lines, and sometimes coaches and Drill Instructors cross them a bit. Deal with it like a man! Tell that person with all due respect that they crossed a line. They will likely not cross that line again, and will probably respect your maturity for it. Often they are testing you to make sure you know where the line is, but more often than not they are teaching you that you need to be able to deal with unfair situations!! Sometimes we DO play Michigan -- you think that is fair? You think referees call games fairly? Of course not!

Barker has proven to be quite immature, and therefore an unstable presence on our team. Let him go.

Top Bottom