Corners turning their head

Sparlimb

Reaction score
I'm telling you, Eric Murray got burned bad today because he never turns his head. And it's going to cost him a couple rounds in the NFL draft. He's good every other way, but his refusal to ratchet his head and locate the ball can be a killer.

I know a bunch of you claim that's what they coach, but I'm telling you. It'll turn him into a 4th rounder...

THANK YOU!!! I noticed that too! Our d-backs have been doing this for years! Johnson didn't turn his head on a play last week and it resulted in pass interference.

I'm telling you, Eric Murray got burned bad today because he never turns his head. And it's going to cost him a couple rounds in the NFL draft. He's good every other way, but his refusal to ratchet his head and locate the ball can be a killer.

I know a bunch of you claim that's what they coach, but I'm telling you. It'll turn him into a 4th rounder...

It's not people claiming anything, Jay Sawvel has said it himself that's how they coach it. It works out more often than it backfires.

It's not people claiming anything, Jay Sawvel has said it himself that's how they coach it. It works out more often than it backfires.

Exactly. It's been noted plenty of times that's how the kids are coached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been talked about many times here. There are positives and negatives to both ways. Not turning your head will result in more PI. Turning your head will result in giving up more long passing plays because you can lose the receiver when you try to locate the ball.

PI is not a spot foul in college like it is in the NFL. I'd rather have a few more PI than giving up more long receptions in my opinion. We've had some breakdowns in the secondary from time to time, but for the most part we don't give up long receptions when our corners are in man to man.

It's been talked about many times here. There are positives and negatives to both ways. Not turning your head will result in more PI. Turning your head will result in giving up more long passing plays because you can lose the receiver when you try to locate the ball.

PI is not a spot foul in college like it is in the NFL. I'd rather have a few more PI than giving up more long receptions in my opinion. We've had some breakdowns in the secondary from time to time, but for the most part we don't give up long receptions when our corners are in man to man.

Exactly. It's not the right strategy if we're talking NFL. Not only is PI a spot foul, but it's PI in the NFL if you don't turn your head. That isn't the case in college. Our DB's have made plenty of PBU's the last few years by locking in on the WR and stripping the ball rather than turning their head and trying to track the ball only to let the WR catch it.

We've had two interceptions that I can think of, where our DB, BBC and Myrick, anticipated the ball and made the play on the ball, ie turned at the last quarter to half second while running down the field with the receiver, ie not in zone at the time. Done properly under the right conditions, a nice skill to utilize.

Whether it is taught or not is one thing. There is a time and a place.

We've had two interceptions that I can think of, where our DB, BBC and Myrick, anticipated the ball and made the play on the ball, ie turned at the last quarter to half second while running down the field with the receiver, ie not in zone at the time. Done properly under the right conditions, a nice skill to utilize.

Whether it is taught or not is one thing. There is a time and a place.

Agreed. It cost Murray big time today. BBC is much better at turning and seeing the ball.

Turning your head is not nearly as obvious when to do it as it seems when you're at the game or at home.

If they can anticipate the pass, then go for it, but even the Gopher's smothering secondary most of the time they DO NOT turn their head. They just stay close and it either results in the QB choosing NOT to pass or the QB has to be hyper accurate. During the TCU game they just stuck to their WRs like glue and the QB regularly was overthrowing because our DBs were all over the WRs and there was no place to put the ball.

If you turn your head you can miss the WR adjusting the the ball, you can actually run over the receiver (or he can slow and just draw the penalty)... the guys are clearly coached not to always look back, I gotta think that is the right choice.

Contrary to popular belief, Sawvel has actually said that if a player is within arms reach, they should turn their head. He said it when he did a twitter Q&A sometime around spring ball.

Nick Saban schools you on how to play pass coverage

This is seriously one of the best explanations of this I have heard, from a coach or anyone else. I guess it helps that he’s been doing it for thirty-years. And keep in mind, this is from his radio call-in show. Not your typical call-in.

Although Saban is known for having one of the most complex defenses schemes to play against, he has a pretty simple philosophy for how he wants defensive backs to defend opposing receivers, whether to play the ball or the man. He explained it without too much coach-speak during his radio show last Thursday:
“There were several occasions last week [against Florida International], where guys should have played the ball and they didn’t. That’s something [where] if you can see me on the sideline I’m always going to be yelling at them, ‘Why didn’t you play the ball? Why didn’t you play the ball?’

“Let me explain it to you this way: There’s two positions you can be in when you’re defending a receiver. You’re either ‘in-phase’ with him or you’re ‘out-of-phase’ with him. Now, . . . ‘in-phase’ means that you’re pretty much even with the guy [as he runs straight downfield], but if you can see the guy’s number nearest [to] you, you’re in-phase when you’re covering him down the field. So when he gets through the move area — the move area defined being 14 to 18 yards down the field where the guy’s going to break a route in or out — we play a lot of closed coverage, [i.e.] we’re in bump-and-run a lot; we’re in that position with the guy when he gets in the move area. Now, if you’re in-phase with him when he gets into the move area, you should be become the receiver and look for the ball. That’s what you should do, and then the ball has to go through you.

“If you’re in the out-of phase position, which means you can’t see his near number, you can’t be even with him, then you have to play the guy’s eyes and hands for the ball because you’re not in position and if the quarterback throws it correctly [on a fade type pass] you’re not going to be able to get to the ball — you’re behind him too far.
(H/t deaux on CoachHuey.)
- See more at: http://smartfootball.com/defense/ni...ow-to-play-pass-coverage#sthash.cesonwJc.dpuf

Top Bottom