Consecutive Seasons With Winning Conference Records - Not Since 1968-69

RogueGopher

Reaction score
Decent chance NW game next week doesn't get played. The trend in CFB this year is one missed game due to COVID almost always leads to the next one getting cancelled.

Hypothetical situation as follows:

Only Nebraska game and the East opponent remain on the schedule when the Gophers return from there Ronacation. They currently sit at 2-3. They will face Nebraska, who has been as bad as expected this year, and then a mystery opponent out of the East.

We know that the opponent will not be OSU (championship game), Michigan (already played them), Maryland (already played them), Indiana (Very unlikely) and Penn State (0-5 dumpster fire, no real chance they'd line up in the standings).That leaves either Michigan State or Rutgers. Both of these teams would be a good matchup for the Gophers. They'd probably be favored in either scenario, and I'd guess Minnesota would get home-field if the Big Ten bases that on overall record (It's unclear how or when that information will be decided).

A win against Nebraska and MSU/Rutgers is not unthinkable. If this happened, the Gophers would finsih with a 4-3 record in the 2020 season. They would have a winning conference record in consecutive seasons for the first time in over 50 years.

Would you give PJ credit for breaking a 50 year drought? Because you know damn well he'd taught that all off-season. I wouldn't want to be a PJ hater if this happens. Oh boy...

I now agree that would be impressive, if it happened.
Bigger though, is the revelation to me, we’ve been that inconsistent (bad) for over 50 years. I would of thought we had a couple 500 plus seasons, at minimum, along the way, in 50 plus years. Golly, I almost feel as though I need to apologize to PJ.

Huge asterisk not playing the top 2 teams in the division, and also missing the top 2 teams in the East. But PJ would obviously not qualify it!

Huge asterisk not playing the top 2 teams in the division, and also missing the top 2 teams in the East. But PJ would obviously not qualify it!
PJ would not under any circumstances qualify it, but we haven’t done it yet either.

PJ would not under any circumstances qualify it, but we haven’t done it yet either.
Whatever spin he would want to take from it, fine. Being a game over .500 in a 7 game season where you can avoid playing the top 4 teams and some of the others are historically bad (Nebraska and probably would play MSU) is pretty hollow.

NW game cancelled...It's all coming together. Win vs Nebraska and Rutgers and we have a winning season.

Huge asterisk on anything this year though.

Whatever spin he would want to take from it, fine. Being a game over .500 in a 7 game season where you can avoid playing the top 4 teams and some of the others are historically bad (Nebraska and probably would play MSU) is pretty hollow.
What if you did it missing guys and guys not practicing and coaches not coaching?

Nothing really means anything this year (so I guess I agree with you)

Top Bottom