confession

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
My seats are in the first deck corner, next to the student section. If you recall, the bulk of the action for the first game was on the west side of the field. In fact, from my seats the action on the field was usually directly under the main scoreboard.

As is often the case with corner or end zone seats... action on the far side of the field can be a bit tough to read. It can be tough to tell the difference between a 3 yard run and a 9 yard run.

I historically only watch big video boards for replays. It seems dumb to go through the trouble of attending a game in person only to watch it on the scoreboard like it was a TV.

But, there I was... watching action on the west half of the field on the big screen. Anyone else find themselves doing this? Am I a bad person?

Ha. It's funny you say this, because I considered myself "guilty" of the same crime. But the more I thought about it, it's silly to beat yourself up about watching the screen when you can see things so much more clearly when the action is on the far end of the field. You're still getting the ambience of the stadium, fellow fans, food, etc. And you can't replicate that at home on your couch. Or in a bar.

I also found myself looking up at the video board during play but I don't feel bad about it.

I found myself watching the woman breastfeeding her baby in front of me :clap:

haha I tried doing the 'watch the play whilst sneaking a peek at the video board.' Not a veteran move on my part.

Actually on TV lastnight, John Clay admitted to watching their replay board while running to see where the guys chasing him were.

Actually on TV lastnight, John Clay admitted to watching their replay board while running to see where the guys chasing him were.

I think most players do this. There was a whole article about NFL players doing this online a while back (SI.com I think). It's way easier then looking over your shoulder (though I'd probably trip over my own feet if I tried to do it :D).

What board?
There is a knack to watching play from a distance. Keep an eye on the sideline ref if you don't have tunnel vision. I sat in the endzone at the damn dome for years and you get used to it. TCF will take some time to adjust. I always watch the play versus the board as you will miss a lot of the game using the board. When I coached HS football and was able to scout, I stood in the endzone whenever possible.

I was watching the board quite a bit as well. Didn't realize it until sometime in the 3rd quarter!

Guilty. I'd catch myself in the middle of a play and divert my eyes to the action directly, but its so damn hard lol.

Top Bottom