Conference Tournament Notes/Gopher Opponents

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Championship Week gets underway tomorrow with the start of the Big South, Horizon and Ohio Valley tournaments. Some of the Gophers' nonconference opponents know their first-round opponents.

(1) Tuesday: Big South #8 seed High Point plays at #1 seed Radford.

(2) Friday: Colonial #8 Georgia State plays #9 Delaware, with the winner facing #1 VCU on Saturday.

(3) Saturday: NDSU earned the top seed for the Summit League Tournament with its road win Saturday vs. Oral Roberts. The Bison will play #8 Centenary at 6 p.m. in Sioux Falls. I'm not a NBA talent evaluator, but I've seen enough of Ben Woodside to think someday (maybe not right away) he's going to earn a roster spot in the The League. Woodside was phenomenal vs. Oral Roberts the other night, completely taking over when the game was in the balance. He's a decisive, quick PG that has the quicks and know-how to split a double team, he has a knack for getting to the basket & he'll kick it to the right guy when the defense collapses. Woodside reminds me a lot of Jose Juan Barea, another former low D-I undersized PG who now plays for the Dallas Mavericks. I'd like to see Woodside get a chance on the national stage. Hoping if the Bison make the NCAA they get sent to the Metrodome.

(4) Saturday: Also in the Summit, #7 South Dakota State gets to play #2 Oral Roberts in a quasi home game at 8:30 p.m. in Sioux Falls.

(5) Eastern Washington failed to qualify for the Big Sky Tournament. Only the top 6 teams qualify.

Top Bottom