Comparing '14-'15 non-conference

WestTexasGopher

Reaction score
If you look at the threads from last season, we were all really ambivalent about the Gophers heading into conference play. Granted, we weren't as banged up last year as this year, but it is interesting to look at a comparison between this year's and last year's non-conference stats. If you recall, Mitch last year played in only 3 of the 4 non-conference games (Streveler had his 1/7 game for 7 yds. vs. San Jose St.) but he is clearly a better QB this year. We aren't running as much or as well. We are amassing more yards but scoring less, but are allowing fewer points per game. Arguably, we have played much better competition this season.

Avg. points scored Avg. points allowed
2014 27 17
2015 20.75 20.25

Mitch Att Comp Total Yds TD INT
2014 54 26 362 2 4
2015 139 81 878 4 2

Rushing Att Yds Avg. per attempt TD
2014 187 945 5.05 7
2015 160 632 4.0 4

Total yards
2014-1314 yds.
2015-1510 yds.

I would assume the major point difference is lack of turnovers this year?

The scarier thing about this season is we don't have that go-to receiver like we had last year with Maxx. The success of the passing game has fallen more on the shoulders of Leidner. If we work something out to get the passing game more in rhythm I think we will be just fine. I think we started to see the beginnings of this against Ohio.

I'm not at all saying we can't make a lot of progress over the course of the season, and our performance thusfar is on more or less on par with last season, but three things stick out in my mind as I watch last years Northwestern game:

1. Injuries have destabilized what I thought would be our strengths this season: O-Line (including tight ends) and Secondary
2. A lack of true playmakers upon whom we can depend to make big plays at big times (Maxx and Cobb on offense and turnover production on defense)
3. Special teams shakiness will cost us a football game unless this kick/punt return and coverage debacle is resolved - and soon. Our win against Nortwestern last year hinged greatly on quality special teams.

I heard once that only B1G Ten Wins matter.....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom