Comments about Leach's firing. FWIW

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
From an ESPN article http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4781981

.........................Some Texas Tech players believed the university's decision to dismiss Leach was appropriate.

"I have no complaints about this decision. [Leach] put Adam [James] in a shed like an animal. Like an animal in a cage. That was bull," defensive lineman Chris Perry said. "You call other players. I think it was a good decision. We have our pep back now. We practice hard this week. We had less stress this week. You know why? Because he's gone."

Wide receiver Tramain Swindall said he supported the decision to fire Leach.

"I do agree and I'm supporting Adam and what he's doing because it's the right thing to do," Swindall told the AP in a telephone interview.

Swindall said he believes Leach was at times out of line in how he treated players.

"And so do most of the players," he said. "It wasn't just about Adam. It was always a negative vibe."

Said cornerback Taylor Charbonnet: "The players make this team, not one coach. As Adam's friend, I didn't like it at all what [Leach] did. He was my brother and I didn't agree with it. I don't know why [Leach] did that. But I know we are fully behind [interim] coach Ruffin [McNeill]. We love him and support him."

Leach has his defenders as well. Wes Welker, the New England Patriots receiver, said his experiences playing for Leach were positive.

"I can just go off my previous experiences from being at Texas Tech," Welker said before Leach's firing was announced, "and Coach Leach and the rest of the coaching staff was always great to me, always great to my teammates and everything like that. It's unfortunate and we wish him the best."...................

When Leach left the players had less stress? They practiced hard? They also had a lot of losses. At least they were calm after their losses.

From an ESPN article http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4781981

Some Texas Tech players believed the university's decision to dismiss Leach was appropriate.

"I have no complaints about this decision. [Leach] put Adam [James] in a shed like an animal. Like an animal in a cage. That was bull," defensive lineman Chris Perry said. "You call other players. I think it was a good decision. We have our pep back now. We practice hard this week. We had less stress this week. You know why? Because he's gone."

Wide receiver Tramain Swindall said he supported the decision to fire Leach.

"I do agree and I'm supporting Adam and what he's doing because it's the right thing to do," Swindall told the AP in a telephone interview.

Swindall said he believes Leach was at times out of line in how he treated players.

"And so do most of the players," he said. "It wasn't just about Adam. It was always a negative vibe."

Said cornerback Taylor Charbonnet: "The players make this team, not one coach. As Adam's friend, I didn't like it at all what [Leach] did. He was my brother and I didn't agree with it. I don't know why [Leach] did that. But I know we are fully behind [interim] coach Ruffin [McNeill]. We love him and support him."

Leach has his defenders as well. Several former and current Texas Tech players and coaches harshly criticized James' work ethic in e-mails obtained by ESPN.com.

Wes Welker, the New England Patriots receiver, said

2 sides to every story. Funny how you end the post where you did. Players not liking their coach is nothing new.

The shed isn't the real problem. James had a concussion, and was adviced not to practice. Leach tried to pressure him into practicing against medical advice.

The shed isn't the real problem. James had a concussion, and was adviced not to practice. Leach tried to pressure him into practicing against medical advice.

First time I've heard this. Leach was pissed that James was at practice. By the way, where is all the outrage for what the TCU coach did?

My entire senior class in high school hated our head coach.

But that didn't nullify his previous success (multiple State Championships, etc). Like someone else already said, hating one's coach isn't a new thing. These guys sided with Adam because they only listened to his side of the story, which was COMPLETELY false. If they knew the truth, they would be singing a different tune.

Yeah, it's not like Mike Leach is Coach Bud Kilmer and was on the verge of a mutiny (pirate reference) lead by his back up QB Mox.

Top Bottom