"Coming vs Going" - hypothetical waiver eligibility for transfers

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
I absolutely don't get what it is about either Robbins' or Peterson's situation that leads fans to believe both or even one of them will be able to play this coming season. Robbins has some family, apparently, but that's a circumstance to couple with an emergency situation, not a stand alone reason to waive the penalty. Is there anything more there other than the possibility that the NCAA might grant a one year privilege? Why do people seem so confident?

Which brings me to my other point (and thread topic): If that does happen, (the NCAA lets everyone have one free transfer) - couldn't that also very well mean some players decide to leave the Gophers? I haven't seen anyone mention that, but someone like Carr might be tempted - or would someone who's already done a transfer maybe not be eligible?

Curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

Awesome question. The whole thing comes with 5-6 critical thinking points on the issue. Jon Rothstein wrote a very insightful article on this.

Why would Carr leave? The situation literally can't get any better for him - he's our best player and will get all the minutes he can handle. If he wants to go to the NBA there aren't many better places to be then here.

I absolutely don't get what it is about either Robbins' or Peterson's situation that leads fans to believe both or even one of them will be able to play this coming season. Robbins has some family, apparently, but that's a circumstance to couple with an emergency situation, not a stand alone reason to waive the penalty. Is there anything more there other than the possibility that the NCAA might grant a one year privilege? Why do people seem so confident?

Which brings me to my other point (and thread topic): If that does happen, (the NCAA lets everyone have one free transfer) - couldn't that also very well mean some players decide to leave the Gophers? I haven't seen anyone mention that, but someone like Carr might be tempted - or would someone who's already done a transfer maybe not be eligible?

Curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

I'm with you on the overconfidence part. We are really banking on the NCAA passing the one time transfer rule AND having it be applicable to players in the 20-21 season. That's a big AND. Peterson has said himself that his eligibility is contingent on the NCAA changing the rules. Liam has a case he can make about family realities that could be accepted in a waiver situation. In a normal year it would be a weak case. In our once very hundred year pandemic, it might be accepted.

I don't know particulars of the legislation, but I am understanding that it is a one time transfer in four years. It would be hard for me to believe that they would allow someone who has already transferred to do it again based on the new rule. Thus, not much risk of Carr being gone for that. HIgher risk is that he decides he no longer wants to play college basketball.

If the rule has any common sense behind it, it will include some deadlines for deciding that don't leave schools high and dry without players, but one never knows.

I think it's going to happen. Vote in May.

And yes, I think there will be a good amount of transfer activity that heats up in late May and June.

I would think, at the least, why would Freeman and Greenlee stick around? Curry obviously is kinda stuck here (not that he wants to leave per se), unless he's willing to take a drop down to a lower level, but the rest will either be freshmen or should be having an active role on the team in each game. Maybe Omersa is the potential for the least time, but I think he'll at least see what happens this year.

There is a ton of smoke in the direction that this is going to happen. I can't believe that Pitino would put two scholarships out there in a year where his job is on the line if he wasn't 90+% sure this is going to happen.

Are a few guys going to leave? Probably. But it will probably be players who feel that their opportunity here for playing time has been limited by the new guys coming in. I feel good about this as I believe there was a good bond between these guys and the coach this past year.

Would the NCAA really fail to recognize the Covid19 pandemic as a valid reason for Robbins and Peterson to transfer to be closer to family (on the staff in Robbins’ case, and back to the Midwest in Peterson’s case)? I’m hopeful for waivers even if the rule change doesn’t get approved. More hopeful than I was with Carr, anyway.

Would the NCAA really fail to recognize the Covid19 pandemic as a valid reason for Robbins and Peterson to transfer to be closer to family
There is no such waiver to transfer closer to family. That's not a thing. Pandemic or no.

"Why would some players want to leave given the playing time here?" - to paraphrase

Same reason kids might pick a different school in the first place? I guess as a MN sports fan used to watching a lot of athletes wanting to move into ostensibly bigger markets and such, my baseline fear is that this could work against smaller schools already with less talent and somehow the opportunity might backfire. Without the right critical oversight, this could theoretically allow for a lot of suddenly star-studded "Dream Teams" - teams with even more elite lineups and uber-deep benches, while the little guy gets raided and kicked in the face, yet again. Might there even be nominal contributors enticed/begged/coerced into transferring to open up a spot for someone hand picked? That's pretty extreme, but so are college sports - nothing is out of the question really. Not a lot in the cupboard for the Gophers to lose, personally, but it could hit really hard elsewhere.

I might very well be overestimating how many people wanna just suddenly upend their lives, but most of these kids aren't heavily invested in the college experience beyond immediately what basketball provides, and life is all in chaos right now anyway, so it doesn't seem that improbable.

Top Bottom