Colorado football notes: Trio of Buffs coaches facing former team at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Brian:

CU offensive coordinator Mike Sanford and tight ends coach Clay Patterson both worked on the Gophers’ staff a year ago and they know many of the Minnesota players quite well.

“(Sanford) can give us, really, some insight with personnel; that’s valuable,” CU head coach Karl Dorrell said. “Still, it comes down to execution and us being able to get all 11 of our players doing everything correctly more consistently. So I think that’s our biggest challenge. But there is at least some familiarity. I think that’s to our advantage; at least he knows a lot of their personnel.”

Minnesota head coach PJ Fleck said it’s not that big of a deal to have some former Gophers now with the Buffaloes.

“They have different personnel than they had last year, we have different personnel than we had last year,” he said. “We have difference schematics than we had last year, they have different schematics than they had last year.”

In addition to Patterson and Sanford, CU cornerbacks coach Rod Chance has also worked with Fleck. He was the Gophers’ cornerbacks coach in 2019.

“They have done a lot for our program,” Fleck said. “I have a lot of respect for all three of those men. If you stay in this profession long enough you’re always going to play against people that either worked with you, played with you in college, were on the same staff somewhere, someway.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom