College GameDay

I think Game Day has a sort of Super Bowl effect on people (obviously it's not the actual super bowl).

Most folks, outside college football fanatics, don't care where Game Day is / might not even know about it.

But once it comes to your town everyone suddenly cares.

Just like I have no idea / don't care where the Super Bowl is pretty much ever, but I really know when it is here.

How about Morris Day[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betty White -- she can talk about her St. Olaf days. Actually, I'd like to see Brock up there -- nice Minnesota connection and he'd be entertaining.

I think Game Day has a sort of Super Bowl effect on people (obviously it's not the actual super bowl).

Most folks, outside college football fanatics, don't care where Game Day is / might not even know about it.

But once it comes to your town everyone suddenly cares.

Just like I have no idea / don't care where the Super Bowl is pretty much ever, but I really know when it is here.

Someone who didn’t even know it existed would care if it came here? Not buying that at all.

There’s a big difference between Ames and Minneapolis and what passes for a big event. The U has had Super Bowls, Final Fours, World Series, and a whole bunch of A-list non sporting events held in the shadow of campus. Gameday would be noticed but it’s not a landmark event for the TC.

Gameday might have actually been one of the biggest events ever in Ames.

It was a huge event in Austin TX three weeks ago when LSU came to town. If you are a college football fan it is must see tv most every Saturday.

Game Day is a huge event for the schools that host it. Thought, the demographics of message board posters and the Gameday live audience overlap only about maybe 2%. So it’s not surprising that Spoofin falls solidly in one camp, and not the other.

Regardless, Minnesota will not be hosting Gameday that week. It was a silly suggestion months ago. It is out of the question now. LSU and Alabama may be the real top 2 teams in the country right now. That will be the biggest regular season game of the year.

It's definitely a cultural phenomenon right now. Point in case the Iowa State fan who collected Millions for charity basically holding up a need beer money sign in the background of the telecast.

I like watching it on Saturday mornings to get pumped up for college football that day, doesn't matter where they are or what they discuss there is an energy to the show that is infectious.

To give us the best chance to get Gameday on campus it would really help if they moved the battle for the Axe to October, or even the first conference game of the year.

To give us the best chance to get Gameday on campus it would really help if they moved the battle for the Axe to October, or even the first conference game of the year.

2021, here we come! We just have to overcome our annual first game cream puff (Ohio State, in 2021) and the usual road non conference cream puff (Colorado) first.

https://gophersports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=353

I actually got to attend SportsCenter on the road when they went to St. John's for the Tommie-Johnnie game in Collegeville in 2015. It was an absolutely electric atmosphere and was a huge moment for SJU and the rivalry. It was pretty much the exact same thing as Gameday but instead of that crew, they had the regular Sportscenter crew. It aired from 7-9 on ESPN and then gamely was right after it. In fact I would actually say the atmostphere was even better than a typical Gameday atmosphere.

Long story short, it was a big deal for SJU and Gameday coming here would be a big deal for the gophers.

2021, here we come! We just have to overcome our annual first game cream puff (Ohio State, in 2021) and the usual road non conference cream puff (Colorado) first.

https://gophersports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=353

For some reason I didn't think the conference schedules were set yet. Forget the Badger game, Gameday should just come for that Ohio State game. We're both going to be undefeated.

When Gameday finally went to Washington State last season after years of the Wazzou flag flying on a weekly basis in the crowd behind the show, it was such a big deal and came off as so much fun. The Cougars fans wanted it badly and campaigned for it to come for ages. Pullman, WA being remote, the team not being good enough to warrant a visit, other games being far worthier of a visit, concerns over getting Herbie to his prime time game in a timely manner, and some bad luck like the time Washington State was really good and had a really good visitor in a week when Gameday had no other better candidates only to be unable to go because the game was on a Thursday or Friday instead of Saturday.

It doesn’t seem Minnesotan to do so, but if people started clamoring for Gameday to come here as one of the last schools it has never gone to, it would truly help the cause. If not for the flag each week and the years of campaigning, Washington State might still be with us on the outside looking in because Pullman is in the middle of nowhere and I doubt ESPN would’ve gone there last season if not for the feel good story and PR value.

Someone who didn’t even know it existed would care if it came here? Not buying that at all.

Dude, we get it. You're not interested in GameDay. You don't care about GameDay. You don't know anything about GameDay. You'd rather clean out the shower drain than spend a minute at GameDay. That's fine. You do you.

When Gameday finally went to Washington State last season after years of the Wazzou flag flying on a weekly basis in the crowd behind the show, it was such a big deal and came off as so much fun. The Cougars fans wanted it badly and campaigned for it to come for ages. Pullman, WA being remote, the team not being good enough to warrant a visit, other games being far worthier of a visit, concerns over getting Herbie to his prime time game in a timely manner, and some bad luck like the time Washington State was really good and had a really good visitor in a week when Gameday had no other better candidates only to be unable to go because the game was on a Thursday or Friday instead of Saturday.

It doesn’t seem Minnesotan to do so, but if people started clamoring for Gameday to come here as one of the last schools it has never gone to, it would truly help the cause. If not for the flag each week and the years of campaigning, Washington State might still be with us on the outside looking in because Pullman is in the middle of nowhere and I doubt ESPN would’ve gone there last season if not for the feel good story and PR value.

Gardner Minshew was a great story and charismatic character as well. Leach has a following, and the team had been doing pretty well. If MN can make some noise record-wise and get the hype machine rolling absolutely think Gameday would come to MN in the relatively near future. It doesn’t hurt to also have some interesting characters or human interest stories (eg PJF)..

Historically seems like Game Day generally favors warmer weather locations in the latter quarter of the regular season so I’m skeptical on PSU this year but never say never. Best chance is probably an early season matchup vs Sconnie or Iowa or Ohio State in a year or two if this season and next go the way we want.

Unfortunately, this is probably the attitude of most Minnesotans. CGD is arguably the BEST College Football Show EVER. I watch it or record it every week. Also, one of the things that I'm sure ESPN considers is what kind of crowd will show up at 8AM the morning of a game, and unfortunately we probably would have one of the worst crowds ever for this kind of event. I hope it happens because it would be great exposure for the program, but I'm not holding my breath, nor do I want to get ahead of myself. Right now we just need to focus on Nebraska.

I'm not worried about the Alabama/LSU angle. Using wikipedia it looks like they have been to Bama/LSU on average every other year and they were there last year. Obviously nationally there is way more interest in Bama/LSU but it doesn't look like it is going to be a historic matchup.

My biggest thought on why CGD isn't coming this year is the Casey O'Brien story. I think if they had any thoughts/plans to come to Minneapolis they would have sat on that story until then.

The only thing that might bring CGD to Minnesota this year is if the Gophers and Badgers were neck and neck for the West title when they play for the Axe. And my dream then would be a persistent "Who hates Iowa" chant.

Unfortunately, this is probably the attitude of most Minnesotans. CGD is arguably the BEST College Football Show EVER. I watch it or record it every week. Also, one of the things that I'm sure ESPN considers is what kind of crowd will show up at 8AM the morning of a game, and unfortunately we probably would have one of the worst crowds ever for this kind of event. I hope it happens because it would be great exposure for the program, but I'm not holding my breath, nor do I want to get ahead of myself. Right now we just need to focus on Nebraska.

I think there might be more kids on campus that would show up to college game day than would show to a game. With a large university, crowd size won't be an issue.

The only thing that might bring CGD to Minnesota this year is if the Gophers and Badgers were neck and neck for the West title when they play for the Axe. And my dream then would be a persistent "Who hates Iowa" chant.

There's a different chant when Bucky is in town...

I think there might be more kids on campus that would show up to college game day than would show to a game. With a large university, crowd size won't be an issue.

Yeah it's not like gameday the U is vacant. Tons of kids at the frats who aren't going to the game who I'm pretty sure would go to Game Day.

[QUOTE/]The only thing that might bring CGD to Minnesota this year is if the Gophers and Badgers were neck and neck for the West title when they play for the Axe. And my dream then would be a persistent "Who hates Iowa" chant.

There's a different chant when Bucky is in town...

It's my fantasy, so it's my chant. ;)

Here’s where Gameday will probably be the rest of the year:

8 - MI@PSU, or ASU@UT
9 - WI@OSU, or ND@MI
10- FL/GA
11- LSU@AL, or IA@WI ... PSU@MN a distant 3rd
12- GA@Aub, or OK@Baylor ... maybe Wake@Clem
13- PSU@OSU, or OR@ASU, ... TX@Baylor possible
14- AL@Aub, or OSU@MI ... WI@MN (maybe, if it’s for the division and the other two are not).

I think they make a point to do one new campus every year lately. And they already did ISU this year.

No chance Iowa @ Wisconsin would be ahead of PSU @ Minn if we're both 8-0. Zero chance.

Both would be squarely behind Minnesota in the standings. Iowa hopefully with two Big Ten losses (Michigan and Penn St), while Wisconsin will have at least one Big Ten loss (@Ohio St the week before), maybe somehow also losing to Mich St this week (probably not, but a guy can dream).

Same cold weather, as well, and they've been to Madison before.

It's the Bama/LSU game that is going to be the tough one.

College GameDay will be here, just talked to Husker fans today that said the college GameDay people have a plan to visit schools it never has before. Everything is looking right for it

College GameDay will be here, just talked to Husker fans today that said the college GameDay people have a plan to visit schools it never has before. Everything is looking right for it

I'll wait till Shooter confirms what his little birdie told him before I get too excited.

Here’s where Gameday will probably be the rest of the year:

8 - MI@PSU, or ASU@UT
9 - WI@OSU, or ND@MI
10- FL/GA
11- LSU@AL, or IA@WI ... PSU@MN a distant 3rd
12- GA@Aub, or OK@Baylor ... maybe Wake@Clem
13- PSU@OSU, or OR@ASU, ... TX@Baylor possible
14- AL@Aub, or OSU@MI ... WI@MN (maybe, if it’s for the division and the other two are not).

I think they make a point to do one new campus every year lately. And they already did ISU this year.

May wanna rehash that list with today’s results now

I think CGD would give another level of attention to this program. It was disappointing to not see more Gopher fans @ the game tonight.

Top Bottom