College GameDay

I know current family members and they have told me that they try to stay off of here.

Understandable, **** gets pretty knee jerk, unpleasant, and plenty of BS on here at times. That's not what you want to be reading if a kid is playing.

If we're both 8-0, CGD will be here. Who will be Minnesota's celebrity game picker? Robert Zimmerman is probably a long shot. I'd vote for Jessie Diggins.
Idk.....Ron Perlman?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I can't see Gameday passing up LSU/Alabama on that Penn st weekend.

I could. For two reasons. One, it's been done a million times before and 8-0 Minnesota would be novel. Two, it's promoting the competition's product. LSU/Bama is always a CBS game and if ABC/ESPN gets rights to 8-0 Minnesota v 8-0 Penn State (instead of Fox/FS1) then it makes all the sense in the world for ABC/ESPN to promote their own game by featuring it on Gameday.

It's interesting that you're wondering who a celebrity picker would be, and then keep bringing up non-celebrities. Jessie Diggins? Pete Najarian?

I know. Diggins and Najarian are barely even known in the state of Minnesota, let alone nationally.

Legend/Teigen would maybe work but they're not from here, just have a relative on the team.
Is Josh Hartnett still making movies? Maybe him?
Vince Vaughan was born here and I did see him once at a Gopher game at the Metrodome...

I know. Diggins and Najarian are barely even known in the state of Minnesota, let alone nationally.

Legend/Teigen would maybe work but they're not from here, just have a relative on the team.
Is Josh Hartnett still making movies? Maybe him?
Vince Vaughan was born here and I did see him once at a Gopher game at the Metrodome...

Brock f-ing Lesnar.

Tom Lehman
Winfield and Molitor together
Spoof'n
Garrison Keiller
Tony Dungey
Kevin McHale

We need more famous people from Minnesota

Alan Page. Law degree from the U.

I wonder why we care about Gameday coming here? Yeah, yeah, it will be the latest “help recruiting” buzz - but is anyone on here really going to get up early to go stand for hours behind the desk in the hopes of getting on TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder why we care about Gameday coming here? Yeah, yeah, it will be the latest “help recruiting” buzz - but is anyone on here really going to get up early to go stand for hours behind the desk in the hopes of getting on TV?

Gameday coming to your campus is a big deal. I don’t care one bit about being on tv but I would absolutely go down and watch the show in person.

Gameday coming to your campus is a big deal. I don’t care one bit about being on tv but I would absolutely go down and watch the show in person.

Meh. Seems they have been just about everywhere so not sure how “big” of a deal it is. Im glad you’ll enjoy it. Personally, I don’t watch the show on TV so can’t imagine going in person to see it either.

I agree. Unless both teams go completely off the rails in a very unlikely scenario, I see ESPN going to Tuscaloosa even if one or both have lost by then. Alabama is at Texas A&M this Saturday in their best chance to fall before the LSU game and then has Tennessee and Arkansas games at home that it should easily win. LSU has Florida at home, goes to Mississippi State in a game it should win, and then hosts Auburn. I can't see LSU dropping more than one of those. That CBS will air it won't play a role in the decision making at ESPN. They'll make Herbie fly to his game site for that evening.

Looking at our game, Penn State has to get by Iowa away, Michigan at home, and Michigan State away in a tough slate. We have to deal with tricky Nebraska and Maryland games. The Huskers and Terps have had good wins and games in which they've been completely humiliated. It's hard to say how that turns out. Pains me as it does to say it, but if Gameday goes Big Ten that weekend, there is also Iowa at Wisconsin to contend with if some difficult games go the way of both teams.

We are among the few Power 5 conference teams that have never received a visit from Gameday. There are even some unlikely suspects that have had the show hit town like Indiana, Kansas, and Oregon State (3 times to Corvallis!). Now that Washington State got its much campaigned for visit last year, the missing teams Power 5 teams from the Gameday destination list are Minnesota, Rutgers, Duke, Virginia, and Wake Forest. All teams from the PAC-12, Big XII, and SEC have been visited although it's been a long time for some schools and many didn't get their visits while members of their current conference. Iowa State only got its visit this past September. As indies Notre Dame and BYU both have hosted. Some non Power 5 teams, FCS, D-II, and D-III schools that have been visited while we wait include Houston, Boise State, Air Force, Army, Navy, East Carolina, Cincinnati, Northern Illinois, SMU, USF, UCF, Temple, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, Florida A&M, Grambling State, Southern, Hampton, Delaware State, Harvard, Yale, Richmond, James Madison, Williams, Incarnate Word, Amherst, Buffalo, and North Dakota State (to my great chagrin).

My greatest Gameday fear was that the show would go to Target Field in 2017 for St. Thomas vs. St. John's because two D-III archrivals drawing a 37,000 plus crowd to an MLB stadium seems like the sort of thing Gameday would love. On top of that, there was a pretty weak slate of games that weekend overall with no obvious big school game to visit. What could have been as bad as Gameday coming to Minneapolis, but skipping the Gophers in favor of the Tommies and Johnnies? Good fortune prevailed when ESPN controversially decided to hold the show in Times Square with no major game in that market as anchor and instead the emphasis going to how many college football fans lived in the NYC area that would turn up.

Isn’t that sad that we’re one of the few that have never had GameDay show up? Shows just how dead the hype for Gopher football has been for far too long. Needs to change sometime, why not now?

That’s a great way to approach life! My way or the highway.

Huh? I commented on a post about some folks that don’t like what is said on here and so they don’t come on here to read. Not sure what on earth you are even referring to. Unless you are suggesting GH change to accommodate a few overly sensitive folks?

Last edited:

Meh. Seems they have been just about everywhere so not sure how “big” of a deal it is. Im glad you’ll enjoy it. Personally, I don’t watch the show on TV so can’t imagine going in person to see it either.

GameDay came to Iowa State not long ago. One of the biggest things ever on the campus. My son was in line at 2:30 a.m.

GameDay came to Iowa State not long ago. One of the biggest things ever on the campus. My son was in line at 2:30 a.m.

Sounds like it was important to him. I’d prioritize going to watch Gameday in person right behind trimming my toenails.

Bobby Bell or Bud Grant...maybe too old to get or want to get the bit? Eslinger, Utecht, Darrell T, Tyrone. Dave Winfield, Molitor, Jack Morris.

How about Loni Anderson or Jessica Lange?

Her 1976 Kong performance was very inspirational for me as a young boy for which I am ever grateful.

You are wrong on this one Spoof. It is a huge deal and if you watched the show you would better understand the impact it has. The student body would be out in full force. This show is for the students to attend not us old folks. The atmosphere is electric. Don't confuse your disinterest with what pop culture is digging.

You are wrong on this one Spoof. It is a huge deal and <b>if you watched the show you would better understand the impact it has. </b>The student body would be out in full force. This show is for the students to attend not us old folks. The atmosphere is electric. Don't confuse your disinterest with what pop culture is digging.

OK. I think the students should find something more exciting to do than watch a tv show be filmed - but I’m sure you are right.

I am still curious about GHers and if any of us old folks would actually bother to get up at 2:30 to stand in line to watch a tv show be filmed. This topic is raised on here often yet I doubt more than a few posters would.

Tom Lehman
Winfield and Molitor together
Spoof'n
Garrison Keiller
Tony Dungey
Kevin McHale

We need more famous people from Minnesota

Mrs. Timberlake is from Ely.
Loni Anderson still alive?
Actress from Back to the Future from Rochester. (So famous I cant remember her name!)

I vote for Bud Grant! He could have a garage sale next to the Gameday set!

There’s a big difference between Ames and Minneapolis and what passes for a big event. The U has had Super Bowls, Final Fours, World Series, and a whole bunch of A-list non sporting events held in the shadow of campus. Gameday would be noticed but it’s not a landmark event for the TC.

Gameday might have actually been one of the biggest events ever in Ames.

How about Morris Day[emoji4]

Top Bottom