College GameDay

More or less this. Imagine the Nebraska fan base but without the historic success, and you'd get something pretty similar to ISU. I've talked about this a lot recently but the existence of other sports alternatives makes the standard for a strong fan base much higher. Someone recently compared the Gophers' basketball attendance to other metro area schools and it's actually on the higher end. I'm sure football would show a pretty similar trend.

Not just sports alternatives, but just the sheer amount of activities available to you in the Twin Cities vs mostly just eating and drinking in Ames. You start to get desperate for something fun to do, and having a major college football program in town would be a good option.

I'm speaking from experience as someone who moved from the Twin Cities to a town that's nearly twice as large as Ames, and I'm still bored to **** here.

Ames has a non-student population of around 30k, and is less than an hour from Des Moines.

It would be interesting to put your idea to the test by imagining if the U had been located in Northfield or Faribault.

Ames has a non-student population of around 30k, and is less than an hour from Des Moines.

It would be interesting to put your idea to the test by imagining if the U had been located in Northfield or Faribault.

Well, we'd also need to shrink the Twin Cities down to 1/5th of its current size and get rid of all the professional sports teams.

Well, we'd also need to shrink the Twin Cities down to 1/5th of its current size and get rid of all the professional sports teams.

Des Moines had "Triple A" version of the T-Wolves and Wild, as well as Triple-A version of Cubs.

But, your point is correct and well taken.

Game day will not come here. No interest nationally and no feel good story. They will be at the Bison though.

Someone could probably do a study on the most-fevered fan bases and their distance to major entertainment and find a correlation showing the more remote you are from large businesses / metropolitan centers, the "stronger" your fan base is.

I have oftened pondered if we were not in MPLS/STPAUL would we have to compete so much with the vikings in our market?

Game day will not come here. No interest nationally and no feel good story. They will be at the Bison though.

You don’t think Fleck theatrics are a good draw for GCD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have oftened pondered if we were not in MPLS/STPAUL would we have to compete so much with the vikings in our market?

If we were in the burbs or just outside the MPLS/St. Paul area I bet we wouldn’t have to as much. Maybe somewhere like Eden Prairie, Woodbury, etc.

If it's going to happen this season, I think it would have to be 8-0 Penn St at 8-0 Minnesota.

Penn St would need to win @Iowa, home vs Michigan, and then @Mich St (then gets a BYE week, same as us). Tough, but doable.

Things can obviously change, but the main game we'd be battling is LSU at Alabama. Which could easily be a top 5 matchup. Might be too easy for CGD to take that one, and better weather, vs freezing in Minny. We will see!!

None of we don’t win 3 more games. Can we focus on Nebraska please.

Yeah guys, if the fans look ahead at the schedule that will magically cause the Gophers to lose against Nebraska dontchaknow

Best chance for College GameDay right now is either against PSU or against Whisky if both teams somehow still unbeaten. Why that would be better than the Game.

1. Two unbeaten teams.
2. Oldest rivalry
3. The Axe
4. Opportunity for Corso to spin Goldy's head
5. Juicy Lucys

Of course that's correct, I said the same thing in the Nebraska spread thread.

But this is a fan look-ahead thread.

If it's going to happen this season, I think it would have to be 8-0 Penn St at 8-0 Minnesota.

Penn St would need to win @Iowa, home vs Michigan, and then @Mich St (then gets a BYE week, same as us). Tough, but doable.

Things can obviously change, but the main game we'd be battling is LSU at Alabama. Which could easily be a top 5 matchup. Might be too easy for CGD to take that one, and better weather, vs freezing in Minny. We will see!!

If we're both 8-0, CGD will be here. Who will be Minnesota's celebrity game picker? Robert Zimmerman is probably a long shot. I'd vote for Jessie Diggins.

My gut tells me Iowa beats Penn State.

If we're both 8-0, CGD will be here. Who will be Minnesota's celebrity game picker? Robert Zimmerman is probably a long shot. I'd vote for Jessie Diggins.

I agree Bob Dylan is a stretch and I think Jessie would be great, but how about Andrew Zimmern? That would get the foodies and the sports fans together. He is just down the road in Edina.

I agree Bob Dylan is a stretch and I think Jessie would be great, but how about Andrew Zimmern? That would get the foodies and the sports fans together. He is just down the road in Edina.

I'm thinking John Legend or Chrissy Tiegen would be in town for this game!

At this point, with the Gophers already appearing on the national discussion radar at 5-0, I think even if it would be 8-0 MN vs 7-1 Penn State - Gameday would still come here. If Ames can get it for the annual boring Cy-Squawk game and North Dakota State can get it for just being a little engine that could in Division 2 and Lincoln can get it after Nebraska had already been exposed as a fraud - Mpls should be able to get it in the midst of historic season with an 8-0 Gopher squad hosting a traditional power having a decent season.

lots of stuff needs to fall in line before this would happen though. Gophers need to make a statement against the pre-season West favorites, and overcome a very unpredictable Maryland squad first (and perhaps get a style point or two at Rutgers).

My gut tells me Iowa beats Penn State.

I don't think so. Penn St has looked really good to me. Their defense was outstanding and Iowa couldn't score against Michigan. I think Penn St wins something like 24-7.

If I'm producing ESPN college gameday and I just watched what a flop BTN gameday was for homecoming at the U due to a slight drizzle, I would continue the streak of never having gameday here for self preservation.

I don't think so. Penn St has looked really good to me. Their defense was outstanding and Iowa couldn't score against Michigan. I think Penn St wins something like 24-7.

Iowa at home is a totally different animal than Iowa on the road.

If I'm producing ESPN college gameday and I just watched what a flop BTN gameday was for homecoming at the U due to a slight drizzle, I would continue the streak of never having gameday here for self preservation.

Their problem was they kept them out of the rain.

Full snow storm... no covering. Still film it.

It would be the most memorable gameday of all time.

I see those two events as Apples and Oranges and therefore wouldn't think "BTN Tailgate" attendance would be any kind of a deal breaker for getting gameday in Dinkytown. Gameday is an institution.

Agree PSU looks really good. Iowa has a knack every so often for pulling out big games like this at home. 0-5 in last five meetings so they are due for a win. Last two meetings have been close. It will be quite a game.

I see those two events as Apples and Oranges and therefore wouldn't think "BTN Tailgate" attendance would be any kind of a deal breaker for getting gameday in Dinkytown. Gameday is an institution.

Yeah I had no idea the tailgate was coming. Everyone would be aware Gameday was coming

I'm thinking John Legend or Chrissy Tiegen would be in town for this game!

Pass on Tiegen. Legend would get the nod if he's in town. Peter Najarian would also be good -- not sure if he's known enough outside of financial markets though. I'd still like Diggins the best, but I imagine she's probably into some hard core training about then.

Top Bottom