College football powers quickly being reminded money doesn't necessarily buy wins in this sport

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

If name, image and likeness benefits were directly tied to wins, Miami could just about punch its ticket to the College Football Playoff. Texas A&M would be close, at least according to Nick Saban's offseason estimation. Texas would truly be back.

But reality being reality, performance on the field still counts for something. In these strange days where the sport walks the line -- and sometimes step over it -- toward pay-for-play, maybe we've forgotten a key ingredient.

Money might be able to buy players, but it won't necessarily buy wins.

Armed with an $80 million coach (Mario Cristobal) and a billionaire NIL supporter (John Ruiz), Miami still turned it over eight times in a depressing home loss to Duke. With its own multimillion-dollar coach (Jimbo Fisher), Texas A&M fell below .500 for the first time in five years. And with the best of seemingly everything, Texas still struggles in areas it should not 13 years after its last championship appearance. The Longhorns committed 14 penalties Saturday at Oklahoma State.

"I'll go back to when I walk out of the building," Cowboys defensive coordinator Derek Mason told The Oklahoman after the game. "I don't see Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I see Ford F-150s. I see Chevys. I see blue-collar stuff. And ours are immersed in the idea of toughness -- all day long."

Go Gophers!!

Big NIL money won’t necessarily equate with “winning,” but it will certainly correlate highly with where the highest rated recruits select.

Last edited:

Since when has Texas A&M been a “college football power”

Last claimed a national title in 1939
Last two conferences titles 1998 and 1993
They have one conference title since leaving the southwest conference

Since when has Texas A&M been a “college football power”

Last claimed a national title in 1939
Last two conferences titles 1998 and 1993
They have one conference title since leaving the southwest conference
But they have JIMBO

Ask the Yankees and Dodgers. Historically money does not buy success all of the time. For some it never does.

The NIL has built into it the real possibilities of internal locker room jealousy over some players getting far more money than their teammates and an overwhelming sense of entitlement in players who had money and gifts showered on them before they did anything.

"I'll go back to when I walk out of the building," Cowboys defensive coordinator Derek Mason told The Oklahoman after the game. "I don't see Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I see Ford F-150s. I see Chevys. I see blue-collar stuff. And ours are immersed in the idea of toughness -- all day long."[/URL]

Go Gophers!!
That's precious. OkSt is one of the most well-funded CFB programs over the past decade and literally proved you could buy a winning team with one super-wealthy donor. I doubt those F-150's out back are beaters from 1999 with 200k miles on them lol

That's precious. OkSt is one of the most well-funded CFB programs over the past decade and literally proved you could buy a winning team with one super-wealthy donor. I doubt those F-150's out back are beaters from 1999 with 200k miles on them lol
True, but I don't think of OKST as being a team loaded with top 150 recruits which is where the bulk of NIL money goes.

Top Bottom