College Football Playoffs

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
Who's In, Who's Out...

Assuming Bama wins the SEC championship game, and Oregon does the same for the Pac-12 (both of which I think will happen). we get...
  • 13-0 B1G Champ (either Michigan or Ohio State)
  • 13-0 FSU
2 spots for following:
  • 12-1 Oregon (Champ)
  • 12-1 Texas (Champ)
  • 12-1 Bama (Champ)
  • 12-1 Georgia (Non-Champ)
  • 12-1 Washington (Non-Champ)
  • 12-1 B1G (Non-Champ)
Texas beat Bama at Bama, so I say they get in. In my scenario, Bama just beat Georgia, so Georgia is out too. That means no SEC team is in the playoffs (which ESPN won't like). So, the final slot goes to the Ducks. Again, no SEC team in the playoffs, which I think would be great.

No way that an SEC team isn't in the playoffs. SEC champ is in which leaves only 1 spot open for the rest. If it is Alabama and they barely beat Georgia, I could see both getting in with the two undefeated because SEC.
If Georgia wins, then it will be Texas or Oregon.

No way that an SEC team isn't in the playoffs. SEC champ is in which leaves only 1 spot open for the rest. If it is Alabama and they barely beat Georgia, I could see both getting in with the two undefeated because SEC.
If Georgia wins, then it will be Texas or Oregon.
If SEC champ is Bama and
Michigan/Ohio state winner unbeaten
Washington unbeaten
Florida state unbeaten
Texas with 1 loss

1 loss pac 12 champ gets left out for 1 loss SEC champ though.
1 loss Florida state gets left out for 1 loss sec champ.
Iowa upsets in big ten title game, 1 loss Bama gets in over both 1 loss big ten teams (and maybe Georgia before them too)

SEC is under :500 vs power 5 opponents this year.

yeah they'd put bama in ahead of texas claiming bama hadn't gotten qb figured out, is playing better now, and Texas's loss to Oklahoma is worse (if I'm a Texas fan, the best thing that can happen is OK manages to get to the B12 title game and they beat the shit out of them).

If SEC champ is Bama and
Michigan/Ohio state winner unbeaten
Washington unbeaten
Florida state unbeaten
Texas with 1 loss

1 loss pac 12 champ gets left out for 1 loss SEC champ though.
1 loss Florida state gets left out for 1 loss sec champ.
Iowa upsets in big ten title game, 1 loss Bama gets in over both 1 loss big ten teams (and maybe Georgia before them too)

SEC is under :500 vs power 5 opponents this year.
you say this like anyone on the committee or at ESPN will care

Why is everyone so bearish on Washington?

They are undefeated, play a strong schedule, already beat Oregon, and have the best player, Michael Penix.

But on @Some guy 's point. SEC premier games this year OOC

Florida @ Utah: L
Tenn vs VA: W
SC vs UNC: L
LSU @ FSU: L
Bama vs TX: L
A&M @ Miami: L
Miss St vs AZ: W (this might actually be the SECs best non con win)
Mizzou vs K State: W (or else this one)
Ole Miss-Tulane: W (Tulane missing their best player/QB)

Against teams currently ranked in the CFP: 3-5 with all the wins vs teams ranked between 21 and 25. There's a reason they will keep AZ at the tail end of the rankings unless they implode the rest of the way despite them having one decent win over an Oregon State team that probably finishes with 4 losses as well as K State who has beaten zero teams ranked in the top 25 and has a best win versus I guess 5-5 Texas Tech?

FSU, tOSU, Oregon and Alabama would replicate the 1st ever playoff.

They are undefeated, play a strong schedule, already beat Oregon, and have the best player, Michael Penix.
I think Washington is a top 6 team.
I personally think Oregon beats them in a rematch but it’s a 50/50 game

My scenario holds if Washington wins out, still no SEC team (unless you count Texas as already being part of the SEC, and in that case, we get two B1G teams into the playoffs as well).

I think Washington is a top 6 team.
I personally think Oregon beats them in a rematch but it’s a 50/50 game
Interestingly they’re currently an underdog on the road this weekend per Vegas

I honestly… don’t so much care about the playoffs.

I get kinda turned off by having it spouted at me all the time when I watch entirely unrelated games.

I honestly… don’t so much care about the playoffs.

I get kinda turned off by having it spouted at me all the time when I watch entirely unrelated games.
The 12 team playoff could’ve made the college game so much better if they would’ve had top 8 spots to top 8 conference champs.
Road games for 4 at larges.

If that was the scenario this year, there would be 39 teams alive for playoff births and also a national championship.

And nobody would be hurt by it. So many games would matter the next two weeks.

Instead, next year the SEC title game won’t really even matter.

Probably neither will Big Ten champ game.

Quite honestly, the champ games themselves are a waste of time because they have nothing to do with the actual playoff.

But also quite honestly they were never going to give four G5 confs bids to the playoff, with only 12 slots. TV would never pay for that.

And regardless, you have the four at-large being powerful P conf teams going on the road to four G5 conf teams. Would be mostly bloodbaths. Not good for TV ratings.

Probably neither will Big Ten champ game.

Quite honestly, the champ games themselves are a waste of time because they have nothing to do with the actual playoff.
Especially considering zero teams in the big ten next year will enter the season controlling their own destiny for the conference title

12 would be the best model with 8 auto bids for conference champs.

With only 5 bids. 8 would be a much better number. At large bids ruin the regular season

B1G should have had some guts and barred them from division and conference championships.
From my understanding of big ten rules the suspension was about the most they can do from the sportsmanship clause. And the sportsmanship clause is about the only thing they can take action with before an “investigation is complete”

I expect a hammer at a later date tbh

Who's In, Who's Out...

Assuming Bama wins the SEC championship game, and Oregon does the same for the Pac-12 (both of which I think will happen). we get...
  • 13-0 B1G Champ (either Michigan or Ohio State)
  • 13-0 FSU
2 spots for following:
  • 12-1 Oregon (Champ)
  • 12-1 Texas (Champ)
  • 12-1 Bama (Champ)
  • 12-1 Georgia (Non-Champ)
  • 12-1 Washington (Non-Champ)
  • 12-1 B1G (Non-Champ)
Texas beat Bama at Bama, so I say they get in. In my scenario, Bama just beat Georgia, so Georgia is out too. That means no SEC team is in the playoffs (which ESPN won't like). So, the final slot goes to the Ducks. Again, no SEC team in the playoffs, which I think would be great.
You're making 2 incorrect assumptions in your first sentence.

Top Bottom